PDA

View Full Version : HOW to get more HP

need for speed
03-15-2004, 03:04 PM
I have the factory 0mc 454 1993king cobra :eek: . what are my options to get more HP out of it?

Blewbyu
03-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Spend more money..............

need for speed
03-15-2004, 06:57 PM
:yes: LOL...

Bad-Tat
03-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Fastest way is probably a blower. How much power you end up with is dependant on the size of the check you write as stated above. HP=$$$$ spent!

Air 22
03-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Stainless Marine Exhaust/Manifolds...3mph possible so they advertise.

Custom Flame Arrestor vs. your stock one....more air = more power

These are quick easy upgrades...and you will see improvement...

Do u have the right prop? 23pitch for a 330hp if thats what your power is now? you can spin 4600-4900rpm on that motor i'm pretty sure but others that have it might let ya know.

and it is ...... :rolleyes: how much do ya wanna spend? a basic # i've heard thrown around is $1000.00 per mph when reacihng speeds over 70+- a few.
There are certain acceptions but for the most part its... mo money :smile:

GEOO
03-15-2004, 09:39 PM
It is not the amount of money, it's how you spend your money.
To spend money on exhaust, heads, cam, Carb, props, ect. all you gain is a few MPH and spend 500-1000 on each. If you buy a blower 4,000.00 you gain an instant 10 mph then if you play with the above you can gain even more.
When I didn't have a lot of power, I spent 3,4 5 hundred on each prop. I was lucky to gain 1-2 mph. :rolleyes:

Murphy
03-15-2004, 11:06 PM
These ideas are all on target. Assuming your current setup is tuned and tweaked for max output... the only way to get more HP is to tear the engine down and rebuild, or follow previous advice on this thread. Otherwise the question is "how do I use what I've got to get more speed?" and that's a different set of options. I'd personally start by looking at the prop. You've got displacement. Maybe you could be turning a more radical prop? Next, I'd look at weight. Ever notice how low a 22 with a BBC rides in the water? Going to a set of HLM aluminum exhaust manifolds and risers isn't that costly and will lose you a good 250 lbs. right in the stern where it's hurting you most. An aluminum intake will cut off another 30 lbs. All total that's the equivalent of two adult passengers. The boat will displace less water and ride higher (and faster) when on plane. Simple things like reducing friction and drag on the engine can help. Overtightened belts rob horsepower. Synthetic oil runs thinner in cooler temps and reduces drag on the engine. A K&N air filter may not add horsepower, but will make sure your engine is flowing as much air as possible. Blah blah blah.

Murph

Dr. Dan
03-16-2004, 05:15 AM
:cool: Charles....I have researched your question for the last few years...and I will offer this. In general....the output of our current engines is restricted by the current Heads,Intake and Carb and Exhausts....although you could nickle and dime your way to progressively more MPH, through Trial and Error...in short increments....and to be honest that is half the fun...but reality is that it may not be the most cost effective route.
:spongebob I would first ask yourself...what you really want to spend....the old adage of "How Fast Ya Wanna Go vs. How Much Ya Wanna Spend?" is true!!!!! If you wanna few mph, then follow Murphs advice....and get it lighter and more efficient..I have seen Murphs Donzi run...and that sucker motors....it Blows Mine away...in its current format....Make a hit list of all of the above listed items....add them up...and you will be amazed...it doesn't take that long to start spending some serious "Jing" :p ...look at others who have a King Package and learn from their Speed Improvement knowledge and lessons...its cheaper and you know it works for our application. As far as King Cobra and application specific upgrades...the 2 Individuals who have proven Practical Knowledge with our Drive Combo....have been RickR...when he had Genuine Risk(formerly Red Dogs-Genuine Trouble and now Blackies - Nervous Energy) ....also Greg K, who currently is my resident King Cobra hero...posting some very impressive and consistent Mid 70 GPS numbers with his recent repower, and he is keeping the King Cobra Drive...and of course Poodle for a tempered and reasoned approach to Reality...vs. Fantasy..... :beer:
The above said, I have seen everything from just Headers and Intake and Carb Combos to more radical....I think Gregs method is the most financially frugal and Bang for the Buck...approach...any serious Combo is going to have its limitations unless you deal with the "Limiting Factors" of each specific combo. Obviously Drag is a critical if not the most critical factor....and so unweighting the Boat can net you some surprising gains....you have to decide ....again...what do you want....Reality is there is always someone faster....always....Greg K, has a nice clean 450+ or so horse 502...matched to his King Cobra Drive. If you look at the "Net Cost" of keeping your existing Block and just do bolt ons without doing any head replacement or boring,you are kidding yourself and IMO spending inefficiently. With the value prices (for Long Blocks)available I would be hard pressed to not duplicate what Greg K did...or a close variation thereof. Fact is each component is $500 to $1000 dollars or more.....and if ya still have a limited displacement.....you can only expect to see so much speed gain. And again in my opinion....ya still have a 1993 Block...with 1993 Technology...which to be honest...I have enjoyed 3 seasons with zero problems....but others would share different experiences....all of the above are the Demons I have wrestled with....and I am finally giving in and doing my own Doctors Version of the repower....fact is it is a 502 , matched to the King(for now)...and God be willing it will have as good of a result as Greg K has had....that's all I am hoping for ...any more...is icing on the Cake... :cool!:

:shades: Doc
"Just What The Doctor Ordered"

need for speed
03-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all you our input, I am gona hold off and do some motor hunting....I think I am gona wait and see how Dr Dan's run this spring..:)

Charles