PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Marine Clearance Problem

BERTRAM BOY
03-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Has anyone else run into the same problem as pictures below? There is only about .750 clearence between the flat of where the fitting goes into the power steering pump and the exhaust manifold, There is no way to bend the fitting enough to fit.It's a stock 260 hp Merc. 350 GM. Ideas, Anyone?

BERTRAM BOY :shades: :shades: :shades:

Rootsy
03-14-2004, 07:05 PM
yeah sam and I ran into this problem when we put the SM's on his 350 a couple of years ago.. HEY SAM! how did we take care of that... do you have a photo???? i know we made it fit.. i just don't quite remember how and there was no grinding of exhaust manifolds involved...

Root - mind block tonight...

gcarter
03-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Mine fit when I bought the boat, but now it's all apart.
Sorry!

George

Sam
03-14-2004, 07:57 PM
I think we just bent it a bit Jamie there was no choice at the time. I've ran it that way for a full season with no issues.

Sam

Mr X
03-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Bertram, I had to use a banjo fitting on mine.
Latham marine makes a stainless braded hose with the banjo fitting crimped on for that exact application.

BERTRAM BOY
03-15-2004, 07:36 AM
Thanks Ted.....

HippieCustoms
03-15-2004, 08:14 AM
I just installed a set on my 5.7 and I ran into the same problem. To get them to fit I slightly bent the steel line in twords the pump. Just enough so the crimped metal was close to the bracket. I also had to have it pointing straight up. This left the line running over the top and then to the back. I also used one 1/2 flat washer between the bracket and the head. This was enough space to give me the clearance I needed, but not enough to cause a belt alignment issue. Hope this helps, good luck.

mattyboy
03-15-2004, 08:33 AM
I would just bang the crap out of it Cliff :smash: :) ;)

but that's just me hehehe

Matty
if first you don't succeed, beat it into submission!

gcarter
03-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi Bertram;
Shouldn't have been so sarcastic in my earlier post.
I went out to the garage and looked at the pump. That fitting has a tight bend in it, just like the other posts. I would probably assemble the fitting to the pump before before assembleing anything else.

George