PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser Engine Block et al Drain Plugs

RedDog
03-14-2004, 04:26 PM
My 1998 Merc has 2 block drains, 2 exhaust manifold drains, and 1 fuel cooler drain. Each is plugged with a blue plastic thumb/wingnut type of plug with a rubber gasket. Between winterization last Fall and Spring prep now, I have managed to break 4 of the 5 without applying any real force. Do these have a recommended life prior to replacement? Is there an alternative to use in place of the stock plugs? The threads on these are rather course so alternate plug options don't come to mind.

If you are looking for me - try the easy-out store....

RedDog
03-14-2004, 05:02 PM
I usually replace them just b4 they break.. :D :D :D

Thanks for the tip - I think I'll use that philosophy from now on. It certainly beats waiting until after?

muddering to myself - if I wasn't 1000 miles north I'd drive by and let the crazy dog fix it...

MOP
03-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Another idea that I have started doing, my local hardware has 1/4" pipe thread brass 1/4 turn S/S ball vavle mini sea cocks cost me $6 a piece. Never break easy to feel for down under all the junk. They even in my dreaded salt water work great.

MOP

PS If you want them and can't find them let me know I' ll mail you a set.

Rootsy
03-14-2004, 06:08 PM
put a little never-sieze on the o-ring and threads... yes i know they are plastic.. it'll be ok... i've never had a problem and mine are 1997 vintage... you do not have to overtighten either... once the o-ring hits i just snug em... the o-ring will keep them in... but a little lubrication helps em come out if you decide to tighten em... kinda like that film of oil on the oil filter o-ring thingy ya know?

JR

RedDog
03-14-2004, 06:38 PM
MOP - I really like that idea if I can match the threads

MP - Grrrr

Rootsy - these broke on me prior to even bottoming out - lube would have helped though - next time

Any known alternatives that match the threads - I sure liked the brass plugs on the "old" OMC boat...

Rootsy
03-14-2004, 06:44 PM
the plugs are a straight course thread (Course i believe)... do not quote me cause i have not measured but they are roughly a 1/2 - 13 or a 12 mm... the torque to keep them from backing out does not come from stretching the thread but from compressing the o-ring. the plastic threads should really not be loaded in the application.