PDA

View Full Version : Licenses

anotherScott
03-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Just started taking the United States Power Squadron course with two of my sons, and was curious as to what age other states require a license. Here in NJ they must have it at age 16. It seems to be thorough, and is a 9 week course with meetings once a week.

I am looking forward to taking the course since I always thought the fastest boat had the "right of way"!!!! :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

#2 Pencil with an eraser
Scott

Ed Donnelly
03-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Just to make this international(the U.S. big nothernest state)

as of Sept 15 2002 all operators of powered craft(even an electric trolling motor)

Anyone born before April 1st 1983

All operators of powered watercraft under 4 meters including PWC's
regardless of age

Sept. 15th.2009

All operators regardless of age

Exam can be taken online $45.00 ....Ed

anotherScott
03-15-2004, 07:34 AM
Can't believe it's just you and I Ed! From what they tell me at this course, everyone in NJ will need a license of some form or another in 2-3 years.

It seems strange to be taking a course now, after I have been handling a boat for 40 years, but there is plenty to learn,

$70.00 per person

Could be trouble brewing in NJ...........I think my oldest son is eyeing up my Magnum. :D

Scott

Fish boy
03-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Basically 21 yrs old. I attached part of the statute below and a link for anyone who wants to read the whole thing which contains some exceptions, etc.
FS 327 (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0327/SEC395.HTM&Title=->2003->Ch0327->Section%20395)

327.395 Boating safety identification cards.--

(1) Until October 1, 2001, a person born after September 30, 1980, and on or after October 1, 2001, a person 21 years of age or younger may not operate a vessel powered by a motor of 10 horsepower or greater unless such person has in his or her possession aboard the vessel photographic identification and a boater safety identification card issued by the commission which shows that he or she has:

(a) Completed a commission-approved boater education course that meets the minimum 8-hour instruction requirement established by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators;

(b) Passed a course equivalency examination approved by the commission; or

(c) Passed a temporary certificate examination developed or approved by the commission.

Fish boy
03-15-2004, 10:52 PM
originally posted by anotherscott

I always thought the fastest boat had the "right of way"!!!!

Hehe, I heard the same thing, but thought they were saying "who ever has the fastest boat has the right to get away!"

Fish

anotherScott
03-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Fish Boy- I did not expect to get an answer of 21 years old. And to think I was ripping it up with my 20 hp at 11 years old :D Here in NJ you need to be 16 and pass the course.

Can't even think about boating, as the white stuff is falling outside as I type

Scott

Ranman
03-16-2004, 08:46 PM
since I always thought the fastest boat had the "right of way"!!!!

What they teach you in the Power Squadron course about right-of-way is BS. In the real world, I've found that: "He with the biggest boat has the right of way." and where I go boating, Sam and Rootsy are the only two I can trump. :biggrin.:

I've damn near been run over in the 18 by a sailboat overtaking me in a canal. Oh, and then there's nothing like the 45 Carver that just has to run under full power right up to the bouys coming into the channel. I just love looking back and seeing one of those monsters bearing down on me, just to get swallowed up and swamped in the 6' afterwash. :banghead:

RedDog
03-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Either move to TN, or avoid depending on your perspective -

"Persons under 12 years of age may not operate a powered boat unless they are accompanied by an adult who can take immediate control of the vessel. An exception is made if the boat is powered by an outboard motor of 8.5 horsepower or less. A further exception is made for unaccompanied operators between the ages of 10 and 12 if the boat is over 14 feet long, powered by an outboard motor of less than 15 horsepower, and the person has successfully completed a boating education course approved bt the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

Persons under 12 years of age may not operate a personal watercraft unless an adult is on board who can take immediate control of the boat."

Hey boys, here are the keys - take the Donzi out but keep her under 60