PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

TMANN
03-13-2004, 09:20 PM
I just ordered a set of Revolution Marine Manifolds and will be installing then this week. I pulled the old Manifolds and risers off and there was a little bit of rust on the block and engine mounts. I want to do this right the first time and just figured I would ask all the people that have done this before what they would do to the rust. I was going to use navel jelly and wire brushes to get it all removed then use a paint solution like POR-15 or Merc paint on it. Has anyone ever done this with success? Or is there a better way to do it? Also if anyone has any advise from experience on the install of the Manifolds I would appreciate that also. Thanks in advance. :beer: :beer:

TMANN

BUIZILLA
03-13-2004, 09:30 PM
1) get a bottoming tap and chase ALL the manifold bolt holes.
2) clean with wire brush and paint with Phantom black Merc paint ONLY

mphatc
03-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Buizilla,

Could you please expalin why you say ONLY and the Merc paint??

IMHO and experience the POR-15 process and product is far tougher and better than ANY spray paint . I've used this on engines that run far higher temps than any marine engine's exterior surface, and also on snow plow frames that see lots of sand and salt. This stuff is TOUGH.

The identical product is also sold by Wurth as a Rust Guard paint

TIA,
Mario L.

BUIZILLA
03-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Mario, I believe all he is doing is some touch up detail work...
POR 15 is good stuff, but messy. What ever you get it on... it's a bear to remove, or clean up. Actually, I didn't think of POR 15, cause I've never ran into anybody that used it on marine engines down here.

:umbrella:

TMANN
03-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks BUIZILLA and mphatc. I just wanted to make sure it was the way to go. I will post pics as soon as I am done...

TMANN