PDA

View Full Version : 1999 22ZX New power-7.4MPI to HP500!

Mudball
03-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi all:
I believe this is my first time posting here.

I just bought an HP500 carb engine to put in my 1999 22ZX. It currently has a 7.4MPI in it.

The HP500 did not include the exhaust system. I will be pulling the heads and doing a valve job, and replacing the valve springs. There is a thread about needing this on another forum. This engine does have 180 hours on it.

I have some questions:
1. Where should I begin propping the boat? I am running a 24p Bravo I prop now. I turn 62-64 on GPS now (70 on the Gaffrig II speedo!!)
2. Is the CMI Platinum header system (best deal from Teague apparently is $1,900) the best bang for the buck, for an HP500? I do already have full time through hull exhaust, no Y pipe. I do know that these engines originally came with Gil manifold style exhaust, but my understanding is that they had reversion problems. The fellow I bought this engine from used Stelling headers from day one. The headers stay with his boat, sadly.
3. Do I really need external steering? I have a Bravo 1 drive with stock hydraulic steering.
4. I have no plates in the rear. I never installed them when I heard the horror stories of these spinning. I feel that they would help, especially with new
power. Do I need some?

BTW: I have driven this boat since new, and now know it well! I can get air with the best of them during a poker run. But, the major need to get air is from the wake of a faster boat in front of me!!! I hope to help that out...

Thanks!
Kent

Shanghied Again
03-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I would try a 28Pitch 4Blade Bravo1 If your Rs go beyond 5200 then go to 30Pitch,, Either one of those props will work well I was running a 30 Pitch prop with 510hp. And Yes on the external steering The drive locks up after 75MPH To kepp control on the boat Hydraulic steering is a must you are looking at an 80MPH boat with that motor. The 22ZX runs better with no Trim Tabs.

RedlineFever56
03-14-2004, 07:58 AM
I would try a 28Pitch 4Blade Bravo1 If your Rs go beyond 5200 then go to 30Pitch,, Either one of those props will work well I was running a 30 Pitch prop with 510hp. And Yes on the external steering The drive locks up after 75MPH To kepp control on the boat Hydraulic steering is a must you are looking at an 80MPH boat with that motor. The 22ZX runs better with no Trim Tabs.
Hi Frank, I agree, No need 4 tabs on the 22zx.

joseph lott
03-16-2004, 06:21 PM
just bought an HP500 carb engine to put in my 1999 22ZX. It currently has a 7.4MPI in it.

The HP500 did not include the exhaust system. I will be pulling the heads and doing a valve job, and replacing the valve springs. There is a thread about needing this on another forum. This engine does have 180 hours on it.

I have some questions:
1. Where should I begin propping the boat? I am running a 24p Bravo I prop now. I turn 62-64 on GPS now (70 on the Gaffrig II speedo!!)
2. Is the CMI Platinum header system (best deal from Teague apparently is $1,900) the best bang for the buck, for an HP500? I do already have full time through hull exhaust, no Y pipe. I do know that these engines originally came with Gil manifold style exhaust, but my understanding is that they had reversion problems. The fellow I bought this engine from used Stelling headers from day one. The headers stay with his boat, sadly.
3. Do I really need external steering? I have a Bravo 1 drive with stock hydraulic steering.
4. I have no plates in the rear. I never installed them when I heard the horror stories of these spinning. I feel that they would help, especially with new
power. Do I need some?

BTW: I have driven this boat since new, and now know it well! I can get air with the best of them during a poker run. But, the major need to get air is from the wake of a faster boat in front of me!!! I hope to help that out...

Thanks!
Kent[/QUOTE]i just bought a 22donzi454magmpi and am hoping it'll be strong mach.was yours not?

Mudball
03-17-2004, 09:59 PM
[/QUOTE]i just bought a 22donzi454magmpi and am hoping it'll be strong mach.was yours not?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I do not understand your issue.

The 454 Mag should be really nice in the 22ZX! Much better than my stock power of the 7.4MPI. :p

Take care,
Kent

DJ13
03-18-2004, 02:09 PM
I have a '99 22ZX with the 7.4MPI as well. 24p bravo I, turning the same GPS speeds you are. Tabs came on the boat but I don't use them. I'm interested to know if you ran into any performance problems with your setup, particularly with alarms...?

DJ13
03-18-2004, 02:16 PM
I have a '99 22ZX with the 7.4MPI as well. 24p bravo I, turning the same GPS speeds you are. Tabs came on the boat but I don't use them. I'm interested to know if you ran into any performance problems with your setup, particularly with alarms...?

Mudball
03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi DJ:
I don't have the HP500 in yet, if that is what you are asking. I still have a bunch of work to do to both it and the boat. I'll be driving with the 7.4mpi until probably the May or June timeframe, when I do the final install, I hope.

Alarm problems? The only time I have heard an alarm was when the water pump impellor went south last year. It got a little warm!

Otherwise, no alarms....

What kind of problems are you seeing?

Kent

DJ13
03-18-2004, 05:31 PM
There's a sticker on the dash describing 3 conditions that trigger it: Engine oil level, outdrive oil level, and engine temperature. Seems to go off at about 4500rpms or better. Engine and drive oil levels are at the full mark, and the temp gauge is always between 160 & 180. I took it out for a poker run on newyear's day, added a quart of oil because my pressure dropped suddenly, and there was no alarm all day until late that evening. It's in the shop right now, so I'm hoping there's a diagnostic they can run to figure things out. Love the boat though, got it last summer.

Shanghied Again
03-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Joseph Lott
Look at the post above you, I had 510 HP in my 22ZX I ran a 30 pitch 4 blade Bravo 1. Do not get a labbed prop, does nothing for the boat and is a waist of money. You will have 470hp with a 500 I would start with a 28Pitch most likely you will need a 30 pitch. You will need a drive cooler and external steering The drive likes to lock up after 75mph scary feeling i have been there myself. The 22ZX is a handfull after 77mph so get raedy for the ride of your life. It is definetly a drivers boat.. I ran the NY Poker Run in mine and ran have of the twin engine boats to the ground. I ran an estimate speed of 70mph through that run. Best of luck with your project

GEOO
03-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Hum!! Sound's like some fun.
Frank, What's up with your ride?

Donzi22zx
03-19-2004, 07:16 AM
DJ13 the alarm problem you are having maybe from your drive fluid bottle, the low oil sensor in the bottle is bad and causing your alarm to go off, just replace the entire bottle, I had the same problem about a year ago, it is a easy fix

DJ13
03-19-2004, 10:41 AM
DJ13 the alarm problem you are having maybe from your drive fluid bottle, the low oil sensor in the bottle is bad and causing your alarm to go off, just replace the entire bottle, I had the same problem about a year ago, it is a easy fix

Thanks Donzi22zx, I knew I'd finally get a lead on this problem from this board!! I'll have my mech check it out. I appreciate the response!

Scubado
03-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Kent,

Sounds like a great project you have going. I have a 22ZX and have been considering hp upgrade options. I like the idea of putting the hp 500 in. I'll be following your progress. Thanks for posting.

DJ13,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still fighting your electrical troubles. If I was in your situation I would try to figure out if the Temp., drive oil, or engine oil pressure was the problem by disconnecting each one the next time the alarm went off. Hopefully it's just a bad sensor. Let me know if you ever need a hand. I get over to your side of the mountains every couple of weeks or so.

Jeff

DJ13
03-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi Jeff,

Just talked with my mechanic about the drive oil sensor. He ran diagnostics and got two sensor codes: one for the engine temp sensor and another for a "knock sensor?" One was disconnected, the other loose and the sensors themselves were not tight. He's servicing the drive for me, amongst other things, so I hope to be in ship shape shortly (say that three x fast). Anyway I appreciate the offer, hopefully we'll get some interest in a Washington Donzi get together this year. We had 3 Donzis in our local New Years Day poker run on the west side of the sound. I made it to Chelan in Sept last year, right after Labor Day weekend and had a great week. That lake can get pretty intense when you run it on a windy day!

Dave

Mudball
03-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks Shanghied and others!

It really makes it nice to learn from others!

28p Bravo 1 it will be to start with. It really is great news that I don't need planes and that those of you with them don't use them!

Steering is a problem. That throws everything over budget, so what I have decided to do is find a used set of exhaust manifolds or headers. There are a couple of used Gil sets available now. I'm waiting for pricing, but hoping cheap enough to allow me to use the savings over the CMI's to buy an external steering setup. Oh, and I found out that the CMI platinum's were $1,900 for just the headers from Teague! The tailpipes were $650 to $800 more! That's out of the question for now. My budget only allowed for around $2k for the exhaust, and none for steering...You know, the wifey part of the equation...

Question:
I found a single ram external add on hydraulic system from WPM for $1,300. This is an add on kit and I will still have my cables running from the helm to the rear power steering valve. There is very little play in my steering now, and none in the gimbal, that I can feel.

Is this good enough for now?

Thanks again for the wonderful info!
Kent

MR MAGOO
03-20-2004, 01:52 PM
The WPM kit will work fine. As far as exhaust goes, I would not even consider used Gils. I have had bad luck with them. Lost a motor beacuse od an internal leak. If you are buying used look for a pair of Stainless Marine manifolds. They work really well and last a long time.

Mudball
03-20-2004, 09:18 PM
OOPS!!

Today, I promised to buy a used set of Gil's for $1k. They are perfect looking and came from one engine of a 42 Fountain triple setup, where the fellow bought new power.

This set looks perfect in every respect, from the pictures and verbal description, and these do have the later model higher rise tailpipes, with the anti-reversion mods from Merc.

BTW: How did your Gil's fail, Mr. Gooman? :umbrella:

I used to love those cartoons (I always called Mr. McGoo Gooman, about 45 years ago!) Now I feel a little more like him every day...

Kent

Shanghied Again
03-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Before you waist your money on assist your better off running nothing at all. The 22Zx blows out after 75mph any boat that runs over 75mph should have full hydraulic steering you can run single ram, Take it from me i already waisted money on Imco single assist and the boat locked up at 77mph not the best feeling in the world. If you are running calm waters then assist is fine but if your running above 75 in 2ft or better go full hydraulic.

Mudball
03-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Shanghied:
Could you describe 'blows out after 75mph'? What does 'blows out' mean?

Also, when you mention the boat locking up, do you mean the steering cannot be turned???? That would be a very bad thing!

Thanks,
Kent

Shanghied Again
03-22-2004, 06:33 PM
The 22 runs almost out of hull after 75 The drive gets caught up in aerated water from the hull. you start locking up and can't turn. You have to pull back on the throttle to get control of the wheel, I put on Assist worked ok until I got in rough water. I then went full and I was fine after that. What a bad feeling that is to lock up I got use to it but when your running in a Poker Run next to other boats not the best