PDA

View Full Version : where to find fuel tank/balsa core??

Don Carone
03-11-2004, 09:53 PM
I searched and searched and I can not find either, so I ask where do I find a replacement fuel tank for a 1964 ski sporter and who supplies balsa core replacement squares and goop for rotted deck fix?
I had found both of these on here at one time and now I really need them there nowhere!!!

deck is off, motor is back from the shop and new bilt rite interior has been waiting 2 years

Thanks for the help!!

MOP
03-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Fuel tanks contact Moeller or RDS they are the current suppliers for Donzi Marine. Please also read the fuel tank posts good ifo there! This may end up as a flack statement! I hate Balsa! Why no one uses Non Rotting coring materials is beyond in this day and age is beyond belieif!

Phil / MOP

DOND
03-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Don, I ordered my balsa core for my engine hatch from Defender Marine. It is available in different thicknesses and sizes.
Don

Morgan's Cloud
03-12-2004, 09:17 AM
This may end up as a flack statement! I hate Balsa! Why no one uses Non Rotting coring materials is beyond in this day and age is beyond belieif!

Phil / MOP

I agree ! Once you use contoured foam you'll never look back.And because the foam does'nt soak up as much resin as balsa the end result is lighter too !

Just my .02c

S

Lenny
03-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Look into a product called "CORE-CELL"

http://www.atc-chem.com

http://www.atc-chem.com/PGE/PR-CC-Overview.html

Hot foot
03-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Baltek is the manufacturer of end grain balsa. It comes in various thicknesses in 4ft x 2ft sheets. It has better compression resistance than foam, which is good on a deck and is cheaper. If the balsa is fully encapsulated in fibreglass and any holes drilled into it are sealed properly, it should last forever.
My '67 had horizontal grain balsa in the deck and was not sealed so water was able to wick itself throughout the deck along the grain. End grain or vertical grain will not wick moisture so readily. SEAL IT properly and there will be no problem.
Hotfoot

BERTRAM BOY
03-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Phil,
Balsa is stronger than foam.

Jbesst
03-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Another source for reinforcement / core materials is Nida Core. find them @ www.nida-core.com They have end grain balsa, foams, honeycombs, and lots of tech support. Small quan. sold thru regional distributors. We use these products in Aerospace and racing applications. Balsa is low tech for today but it is what Donzi use back in the day. Good luckand hope to see your boat on the water soon. Jim.

Lenny
03-12-2004, 06:23 PM
I have been "told" by the fellas here at Philbrooks and Canoe Cove Manufacturing that Balsa is the MOST bang for the buck. It is cheaper than the high end cores, and provides "apparently" a stiffer finished re-inforcement. (That is arguable, but is beyond me). Core-mat is also ANOTHER easy to apply product that will build it up like steel. It is a 1/8-1/2" glass perforated "diaper" and comes in thicknesses all over the map. (much like a VERY heavy canvas. It should must be precut and "soaked" with resin and should be applied to a previously bedded (putty'ed) surface, resin soaked and waiting for it. When it dries it is almost inflexible. By the way, the balsa is end grain hence why it used in a vertically oriented manner. Picture a 3" x 3" by whatever length of balsa as a board and then run it through the saw cutting 1/2" pieces off the ends , repeatedly, that is what makes up the balsa as a product after it is attached to a scrim. Resin would not soak up into flat grain or edge grain, it would reside on the surface with little penetration. The rays of the would do not allow for wicking, only the open end cells of the wood. The balsa once installed has a capilary resin alignment in an ocean to ski axis.