PDA

View Full Version : 22-C Windshield w/ heavier Lexan

RickSE
03-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Anyone ever rebuilt a newer 22-Classic stainless windshield with 1/4" plexi? These windshields came from the factory with 3/16" acrylic, but I'm considering using 1/4" polycarbonate (Lexan) with an abrasion resistant coating. The poly has some advantages, less brittle, easier to form and machine. It looks like the 1/4" material will fit in all the channels. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it before. We have a big CNC router at work so I can cut two sets, one for the boat and one spare.

thriller
03-11-2004, 03:40 PM
And one for the guy who steps up and says it will work..LOL..You might start an assembly line here with pre orders. Lexan is great stuff.Especially the tinted kind..Any idea of cost for the material?$$$
MM

RickSE
03-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Here are the material prices I was quoted, through my employer.

3/16" thk. general purpose acrylic is $96 for a 4'x8' sheet, with many colors available.

1/4" thk. abrasion resistant coated polycarbonate is $268 for a 4'x8' sheet, gray, bronze and clears only.

Murphy
03-11-2004, 10:03 PM
The previous owner of my 86 must have busted the center section because it was replaced with 1/4" when I bought it. I recently replaced that with the original 3/8" material. The 1/4" was pretty flexible which was a problem when you grabbed ahold of it to climb over onto the deck or as support when standing. The 3/8" is substantially more rigid and is what I would recommend. I got the center section replaced with the wind deflectors and bottom bevel already cut for $300 at a local fabrication shop.

Murph