PDA

View Full Version : Trailer set up

TBroccoli
03-11-2004, 08:41 AM
I just purchased a 1996 22 Classic. It came with a 1999 Karavan trailer. It looks as though the bunks are not positioned properly. The previous owner only used the trailer to store the boat in the off season. It was always loaded with a forklift. I believe that the forward bunks are too far apart. They are set so the outer strakes are resting on them. It looks like the boat will drop too quickly off the support of the bunks when launching and will hit the trailer braces or axles. Running the boat back onto the trailer will also be trouble. Could someone help me with proper bunk placement for my Classic? Pics will be a great help. I've seen some pics of trailered Classics and the forward bunks look to be between the keel and the first strake.

MOP
03-11-2004, 10:25 AM
I just purchased a 1996 22 Classic. It came with a 1999 Karavan trailer. It looks as though the bunks are not positioned properly. The previous owner only used the trailer to store the boat in the off season. It was always loaded with a forklift. I believe that the forward bunks are too far apart. They are set so the outer strakes are resting on them. It looks like the boat will drop too quickly off the support of the bunks when launching and will hit the trailer braces or axles. Running the boat back onto the trailer will also be trouble. Could someone help me with proper bunk placement for my Classic? Pics will be a great help. I've seen some pics of trailered Classics and the forward bunks look to be between the keel and the first strake.

You are right about the forward bunks, there are normally set only about 6-8 inches apart, the boat should be floating as it comes off the bunks. I have seen the keel gel coat damaged from setting them to wide. The forward bunks are there for two reasons, to support the bow section and also as important to eliminate trailer flex. Aluminum more so than galvanized tend to crack at the bends forward if not supported. What I do is set them last, I jack the bow just a tad position the bunks then get a real good eye ball on the trailer rails. I tighten them uo so the trailer rails are straight with little to no bend. Between the winch stand fore and aft bunks it will keep it from flexing.

Phil