PDA

View Full Version : Minx might be for sale

1996Z15
03-10-2004, 01:43 PM
My wife and I are seriously considering selling our 1986 Minx. I bought it last May on Ebay and enjoyed it all last summer. However, my wife now has a new job that doesn't provide weekends off, the Marina we kept the boat at no longer offers rack storage and I don't have a vehicle to tow the boat with. So rather than torture myself by having it sit in my yard doing nothing I am considering selling it. What would be a fair price? It's all there, runs great and looks very nice; it's no show piece but it holds it's own.
Any ideas on fair price would be appreciated.

mattyboy
03-10-2004, 01:50 PM
post some pics and give the setup I'm sure someone will be interested

matty

RedDog
03-10-2004, 02:12 PM
might I suggest buying an old tow vehicle and going without the wife? Maybe not. Try buying an old tow vehicle and going with the wife weekday afternoons?

boldts
03-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Any chance the Minx is blue and honey? What it's worth or where to start would be difficult to suggest with not seeing it in person. You know what you paid for the boat. Take a look at Minxs for sale on BoatTrader and base your price on what others are going for, how long they've been out there for that price and how your Minx compares to the other ones available.

Personally, I think a cheap pickup and afternoons on the lake with your wife can be very romantic especially the evening cruise back to the trailer depending on what kind of lake you have to boat on. Not many Donzi Minxs around anymore. You may be glad in future years if you hang on to yours.

MOP
03-10-2004, 04:55 PM
During the summer I also do not have weekends, I do 7 days while the rest of the guys play. I go out after work or late on weekends, run to resturants, watering holes and fireworks when available. Late running is way better than most would think, yeah night vision would help some nights. Where I am the water lays down real nice after about 4:00, so yes it is a romantic mill pond with a small back seat :biggrin: well worth exploring. If you get hold of some of the guys that handle trailers here on the board or find a used one find a beater and enjoy! Damn I hope we have talked you out of it!

MOP

Cuda
03-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Last year when I was looking for one, most of them were in the 12 to 15 thousand range, depending on condition.

1996Z15
03-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, I am not sure if we are going to sell it or not. It's just a bit discouraging to think that we won't be able to enjoy the boat as much as we did last year. We don't boat on a lake where I can see it might be nice to go out on a evening cruise. We boat in the bay and occassionally venture into the ocean. I'm not real comfortable with boating a night so my times will be limited this season. The boat came with a trailer; I just don't have a way to tow it as I have a Mustang and my wife have a Jeep. I'm sure I'll figure something out as I would hate to get rid of it; I'm sure I'll regret it if I do.

Cuda
03-10-2004, 06:20 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't sell it. You will end up kicking yourself later for it. They aren't making any more of them, and the prices won't be getting any lower later. I spent about two years on here deciding what kind of Donzi I wanted, and then quite a while finding a Minx. For what I want, the Minx is the perfect size boat. I run in some open bays too, and I like the little higher freeboard of the Minx. I love the windsheild on them, and to me, the lines of the Minx are absolutely perfect! Hang on to it, your situation with the work days could change anytime, and where would you be then??? :)

mphatc
03-10-2004, 06:54 PM
FWIW,

I have been a boat owner since age 7 . . Penguin sailboat . . and in all my years even during the hardest of times the one or two days that I was able to "escape" on my boat were worth every penny.

One recent year we used the boat only once during the summer, plus two other times . . on launch day in May and at haulout in November just before the insurance ran out . . we were that busy with other commitments. Yah the cost per hour was immense, but the 8 hours of relaxation was everything!

keep it , you'll figure it out!

It's not that big a boat, throw a hitch on the Jeep, give the lady the Mustang!

MPHATC

God covered the earth with water
and made the wind that makes waves

Along came a man named Don
Who gave us the toys

to escape the land!

gcarter
03-10-2004, 07:38 PM
I keep reading posts about "honey and blue", my Minx is off white and dark navy w/ white bottom. Is this the honey and blue I read about?

George

Cuda
03-10-2004, 07:54 PM
George, this is the honey and blue Minx.

gcarter
03-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Well, it looks like my boat. So now I know what to call it.

George

ToonaFish
03-10-2004, 08:07 PM
You can call your boats "honey," but they'll respond better to "darling."

Cuda
03-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Well, it looks like my boat. So now I know what to call it.

George

Nice, it's one of my favorite color combos.

BUIZILLA
03-10-2004, 08:21 PM
The one pictured above is the off white/blue combo. My Minx is the same off white, almost a ghost gray. The honey color is much more distinct. Jerry Eislie(sp) had a honey color 22. Check the archive owners pic's.

J :spongebob

Cuda
03-10-2004, 08:28 PM
The one above may indeed be off white instead of honey. It was the first one I found searching. It's kind of hard to tell with the lighting in the picture.

Jim, I looked up Jerry's boat on the registry, it shows a white/red 22. Has he changed since that picture?

gcarter
03-10-2004, 08:36 PM
The one pictured above is the off white/blue combo. My Minx is the same off white, almost a ghost gray. The honey color is much more distinct. Jerry Eislie(sp) had a honey color 22. Check the archive owners pic's.

J :spongebob
OK Jim...
I'm with you. My upholstery is the same light grey. The new upholstery is the same color. Stopped by to check on it today. Probably be ready week after next. I rebuilt all my seat bases with Starboard.

George :yes: :yes:

BUIZILLA
03-10-2004, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Jerry's old boat was red/honey.

J

ToonaFish
03-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Let's see if I can make these pics of Jerry's old 22' work...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jeisele224.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jeisele226.jpg

Bunches,

Celene '"drain bamaged or else I would be able to remember her new owner's name"

gcarter
03-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Yep Celine, mines definately off white/ light grey, not honey.
Thanks for the education.

George