PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a 22 Classic Outboard for sale?

Brian Freeman
03-10-2004, 11:38 AM
I am looking for a 22ft. Classic outboard model. Does anyone know one for sale? Does anyone know how many of these boats were made? What was the maximum horsepower rated from the factory for the outboard model? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Woodsy
03-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Brian...

There was only one (1) outboard 22 Classic, she was built in 1982, hull #DMR 220521182-OB. There is a an unconfirmed rumour that there may have been a second one, but so far there is no evidence that I can dig up to support that rumor. The factory has no records of any other outboards being built. I am the owner of her, and she isn't for sale. She originally came from the factory with a 235hp Evinrude, but was sent back to be refittied and re-rigged with a set of 225 Yamahas in 1985. She was re-rigged again with a 300hp Johnson V8 in 1993. I bought her off E-bay late last fall, and although I am going to run her "as-is" this season, I am looking forward to putting a set of twins back on her next year. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call @978-502-5465...

I have a great 454MAG 22 Classic for sale....

Woodsy Von Outboard

Brian Freeman
03-12-2004, 07:17 AM
thanks for the reply. I will give you a call. Can you post some pictures of her???????

Scott Heidt
04-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Brian I have a friend that took a 74' 22 ft Donzi and put an outboard on it. My friend is trying to trade it for a Cobra Replica, but If it falls through I told my friend to post some pics. Keep an eye out!

Brian Freeman
04-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is it a 22 classic? I did not know they made a 22 classic in 1974. Yes I am very interested in it and would like to see pictures of it. Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Heidt
04-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is it a 22 classic? I did not know they made a 22 classic in 1974. Yes I am very interested in it and would like to see pictures of it. Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

No it is not a 22 classic, I am not sure what the exact model is, but my uncle used to own the boat and sold it to the current owner. The current owner liked outboards and took out the i/o set up out and glassed the transom and mounted an outboard. Not my cup of tea! But what ever floats your boat!

The boat is in good shape. I will try to find out more. The current owner does not know alot about Donzi history( HE called it a 74' 22 classic, but I know that isn't it) and I won't be talking to my uncle for a few days, to find out. I'll get back to ya!

Woodsy
04-01-2004, 08:28 PM
I would love to see some pix on how they rigged this boat up.... How did it run? Speeds handling etc?

Woodsy Von Outboard

BERTRAM BOY
04-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Is it possibly a 21 GT ?

Woodsy
04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Cliff,

That's kinda what I was thinking, a 21GT... could be a very interesting boat, even if its not an original....

Woodsy Von Outboard

Scott Heidt
04-02-2004, 08:51 PM
It's a 74 Hornet. I will see if he made the trade for the cobra or not. I will try to get pics posted.

Fish boy
04-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Woodsy,
I was curious as to why the decision to go with twins over something like a single 300 promax, 280efi,...etc? What sort of speed gains do you expect over the current setup? More curiosity stuff, but what is in the engine compartment where the I/O used to be? Did you have to make any adjustments to the pad? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I stumbled across this thread and your boat is realy interesting.

Fish

Scott Heidt
04-05-2004, 08:19 PM
The guy put a gas tank back there. I want to say it is a 70 gallon tank. Not a 100% though. I have been tied up with work and my boat, so it may be a bit before I get a chance to get pics and more information.

Woodsy
04-05-2004, 08:36 PM
FishBoy...

The decision to go with twins was a pretty easy one.... the Coooooollllllnesss factor. Actually, from what I could find out, she originally came with a single 235 Evinrude on the back, and lets face facts, that just didn't cut it. She was also laid up a little lighter than a std 22 as well. So the original owner sent her back to Donzi for a little rework, that included beefing up the transom, a bigger gas tank (75gal?) and re-rigging her for twins, twin Yamaha 200's or 225's. She was repowered in 93 with the single 300 Johnson. They really don't have alot of parts for the Johnson, and nobody up here on Winni wants to work on it, So I figured, it would be cool to put a set of Mercs back there, prob a set of 20" 200XS Opti's from Merc Racing.. although they don't list them as counter-rotating in the catalog, my sources say Merc will build them for "special projects". A nice Stainless marine bracket with a pair of transom jacks ought to do the trick nicely..... I am thinking low 80's with that setup, maybe even mid 80's....

Right now, the only things in the engine compartment are the mounts for the 4 batterys... only two are being used... Next year, I'll dress it up some, going ot be making some good use of the waterjet at work....

Woodsy Von Outboard

pokster
04-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Woodsy, what are you selling? year, price? I looked at the outboard on ebay too. I had major trim tabs on it. How well does it plane? I remenber seeing a pair of 22 shadows in Hot Boat with twin 2.5 mercs, it was in a reader ride part. I think they said the twin set up got rid of the chime walking at top end. I'll try to dig through the "box" and see if I can find the mag.

Woodsy
04-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey Poodle....

Where did ya find THAT photo?? You wouldn't be holding out on me now would ya? LOL! I'll need some copies! That motor is ALOT closer to the transom than my setup.... probably ran pretty good considering the power... I gotta do some research on brackets...

Pokster, the OB isn't for sale. She was the one on E-bay though. The only boat I am selling is my Yellow 22... did you look at the cheap 22's that have been in the FS section? It does seem its either 20Kplus or under 10K..

Woodsy Von Outboard

Fish boy
04-05-2004, 11:42 PM
woodsy,
there is absolutely no doubt you will get an a+++++ on the coolness factor! :) :) Should scream with the twins, can't wait to see/hear her when you re-rig.

Just a thought, it seems to me that your donzi will be similar to some of the SOB's that are making their way into offshore racing. Might be able to save a little leg work when it comes to setup, propping...etc by checking out what some of those guys are doing with their boats. I know SOB by nature is single engine, but some of the boats are being rigged with twins for pleasure.

Fish

boldts
04-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Off subject a little, but I saw a 16 Classic (Blue and White) OB model with a 115 E-Rude on the back last night looking through the Boats for Sale websites. Not many of those around either if someone is looking for a Donzi out of the ordinary.

cigarette30
04-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Woodsy,

I am just as curious, note the windshield is still installed. The "original" had the windshield removed on the original factory sale.

By the way, still keeping my eyes open for pictures, will forward as they become available.

Greg Guimond
12-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Ttt ...........

fishboy...

The decision to go with twins was a pretty easy one.... The coooooollllllnesss factor. Actually, from what i could find out, she originally came with a single 235 evinrude on the back, and lets face facts, that just didn't cut it. She was also laid up a little lighter than a std 22 as well. So the original owner sent her back to donzi for a little rework, that included beefing up the transom, a bigger gas tank (75gal?) and re-rigging her for twins, twin yamaha 200's or 225's. She was repowered in 93 with the single 300 johnson. They really don't have alot of parts for the johnson, and nobody up here on winni wants to work on it, so i figured, it would be cool to put a set of mercs back there, prob a set of 20" 200xs opti's from merc racing.. Although they don't list them as counter-rotating in the catalog, my sources say merc will build them for "special projects". A nice stainless marine bracket with a pair of transom jacks ought to do the trick nicely..... I am thinking low 80's with that setup, maybe even mid 80's....

Right now, the only things in the engine compartment are the mounts for the 4 batterys... Only two are being used... Next year, i'll dress it up some, going ot be making some good use of the waterjet at work....

Woodsy von outboard

Trueser
12-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Brian...

There was only one (1) outboard 22 Classic, she was built in 1982, hull #DMR 220521182-OB. There is a an unconfirmed rumour that there may have been a second one, but so far there is no evidence that I can dig up to support that rumor. The factory has no records of any other outboards being built. I am the owner of her, and she isn't for sale. She originally came from the factory with a 235hp Evinrude, but was sent back to be refittied and re-rigged with a set of 225 Yamahas in 1985. She was re-rigged again with a 300hp Johnson V8 in 1993. I bought her off E-bay late last fall, and although I am going to run her "as-is" this season, I am looking forward to putting a set of twins back on her next year. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call @978-502-5465...

I have a great 454MAG 22 Classic for sale....

Woodsy Von Outboard

I saw one going on I-57 south a few years back.