PDA

View Full Version : 350 Question Continued

Surfer
03-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Last Sunday, I clogged the oil cooler inlet, temp went up to about 240 degrees and I shut it down. When I went to unclog, I found about 4 quarts of oil in the bilge. After flushing the water system, I refilled with oil and started it up to look for leaks. No leaks, drips and oil preasure / temp was fine. Where did the oil expel from and why? :kaioken:

gcarter
03-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Could it be a hose fitting/ hose connection failing at the higher temperatures? Or maybe more likely a cooler seam failure at the higher temps? It could be holding at normal temps.
Just guessing.

George

MOP
03-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Have you run it under load yet? If not I would get it out and run it a bit hard keeping a good eye on gauges then stop and take a look in the hole. With a good load oil will be hotter, thinner and running at its highest pressure. I have seen fittings spray oil at speed that did no drip a drop at the dock with the engine well warmed up.

Phil

Surfer
03-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Thanks, I'll put her in the water this eve and see whats going on.

SouthernExposure
03-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Hello,

Just my two cents on the oil in the bilge. When I purchased by Donzi everything seemed just fine. The second time I took it out I found oil in the bilge with no apparent leaks. Turns out the oil pan at the top where you can't see had serveral holes due to rust.

Definite problem.

Tony
SE

florida gator
03-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Another area to look, oil sending unit. I developed a slight oil leak "somewhere". As mentioned here already possibly worse under load. I had to add 1/2 qt of oil every few times out. Pretty small leak that I watched and tried t catch all last summer. Checked and filled up before before a run to Cedar Key one weekend. Didn't check before run to Homosassa the next weekend and alsmost home heard a loud noise developing, backed off the throttle, looked at the guages (no oil pressure), shut down and called Sea Tow. While waiting I checked the oil and none on the dipstick. After the tow in, I filled with oil, cranked it up, it seemed fine until I pulled away from the dock and it locked up completely on me.

I think part of my point, something small can become something big real quick.

smoothie
03-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Also take a look at the dipstick tube where it seals into the oil pan,and the dipstick itself,running at high rpm the crankcase pressure will blow oil out of the smallest holes,check the valve covers too.

Rootsy
03-10-2004, 10:23 PM
AND then there's the ends of the intake manifold... the front is easy to see if it is leaking... the rear can slip by you.. you won't see it unless the motor is running and even then you may have to have some RPM's to sling the oil.. but you will get a good amount out of it... it'll run right down the back of the block along the block to cylinder head joint...

AND if the breathers for whatever reason got blocked... and the motor built crank pressure... it'll come out of the dipstick in a hurry.. drainign the pan...

blowby from worn rings or cylinder pressure in the crankcase won't expel that kinda oil generally.. least i havn't run across it puking out 4 quarts... usually just enough to TICK YOU OFF... as it is all over everything...

just adding to the mystery :)

JR