PDA

View Full Version : One Sweet 16!

harbormaster
03-09-2004, 04:15 PM
I was talking to Mike Flowers of Xtreme Marine today and he told me about his latest find. A fully original 1968 Holman Moody sweet 16 with 10 original hours on it.
Original gelcoat and everything!!! It was found in a barn in Louisiana.
Here is a link to the boat and photos.

http://proto2.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&checked_boats=1205851&slim=broker&&hosturl=xtreme&&ywo=xtreme&

TuxedoPk
03-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Great find! Thanks for posting...

Rootsy
03-09-2004, 07:53 PM
weird... last week i thought that ad said fully restored 69 16 classic for 28K...

or do i have alzhiemers going already???

nice boat though...

BUIZILLA
03-09-2004, 07:57 PM
58 THOUSAND DOLLARS !!!

I could have swore I saw the ad for 28k myself ...

J

Mike Ellison
03-09-2004, 08:00 PM
I saw it for $38k last week...

58 THOUSAND DOLLARS !!!

I could have swore I saw the ad for 28k myself ...

J

mattyboy
03-09-2004, 08:03 PM
WOW what a find wonder what the hull number is and what model volvo it is??
58k ??? like I said WOW

Matty

Mike Ellison
03-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I take that back it was $28k. I checked an old email I received last week!!!

WOW what a find wonder what the hull number is and what model volvo it is??
58k ??? like I said WOW

Matty

MOP
03-09-2004, 08:34 PM
That is a wow damn what a find, thanks for the pics they stir the mind. The boat is perfect in makes Ya wish a bit! It does not ever have to run again and it will appreaciate. I don't think they feel they will get that price. Go high so you can be beat up to where you really wanted to be :garfield:

mattyboy
03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
That is a wow damn what a find, thanks for the pics they stir the mind. The boat is perfect in makes Ya wish a bit! It does not ever have to run again and it will appreaciate. I don't think they feel they will get that price. Go high so you can be beat up to where you really wanted to be :garfield:

I don't understand if the boat is perfect, what are you gonna get beat up about???
and go high so you can be beat up to where you want to be?? how much beating is involved?? I thought it was called negotiating ;)
Thanks for the heads up

Matty :)

Cuda
03-10-2004, 01:14 AM
I don't understand if the boat is perfect, what are you gonna get beat up about???
and go high so you can be beat up to where you want to be?? how much beating is involved?? I thought it was called negotiating ;)
Thanks for the heads up

What's not to understand about Phil's post?

Scott Pearson
03-10-2004, 05:07 AM
Very nice. I to saw the boat listed for $28,000. If its all original thats even better! It would look great sitting on a Rocket trailer :)

I tried selling my 20 hour ALL original 1971 18 for $12,000 and had a hard time. I wish them luck..........

(NJ)Scott

mphatc
03-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Scott,

If I had known that was all you wanted for that 20 hour boat! feeling sad I wanted that bad!

I think the term negotiate and beat up come from how they are used in the business . . .

Sales people see it as getting beat up, see these guys don't want to give an inch, and to them even a POS is perfect! :jestera:

buyers see it as a negotiation, trying to buy more with less :yippie:

when all is done :uzi: and you sign the papers :smash:

:beer:
:wavey:

Mario

mattyboy
03-10-2004, 06:50 AM
What's not to understand about Phil's post?

well there ya have it a small boat that needs a suitcase full of money ! ;)

let's see a 20 hr all original 18 for 12k and and all original 16 with 10 hours for 58k
that's quite a beating , so what's he looking for 50k, 40k 30k????

is a nice boat though! mine is half as nice so i'm waiting to see what this one sells for ;)

Ranman
03-10-2004, 08:21 AM
buyers see it as a negotiation
No we don't, it's still a beating. :biggrin.:

so what's he looking for 50k, 40k 30k????
Someone's out there fishing. These boats are not that collectable, at least not compared to classic cars. Now if that were an original 67 'Vette.

Leverage, it's all about leverage.

MOP
03-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Scot you just have to many darn toys! I think you should Flip Randy a deal on your overages :rlol:

DOND
03-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey guys,that is one great looking boat.If it is an all original ther are a few things that do not seem correct such as:red knob on shift lever,the engine has holman moody exhaust risers and manifolds but it does not have a holman moody tach or plate on the outdrive.Also the helm seat style is not the early type that was used in that year.What do you guys think?
Don

mattyboy
03-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey guys,that is one great looking boat.If it is an all original ther are a few things that do not seem correct such as:red knob on shift lever,the engine has holman moody exhaust risers and manifolds but it does not have a holman moody tach or plate on the outdrive.Also the helm seat style is not the early type that was used in that year.What do you guys think?
Don

I was thinking the same thing, also notice the helm it is black?? wouldn't it be chrome in a 69? and the other thing that puzzles me is why a 289?? wouldn't it be a 302 in 69 or a 351w but i am probably way wrong as usual
it was available with 2 H/M power plants 210 hp and 235 hp was that a 289 and a 302??

http://www.donzi.net/cat/cat69/price5.jpg

Matty

Rootsy
03-10-2004, 11:59 AM
not gonna bash this boat because it truly is a beautiful think... but that interior looks like it is fresh from bilt-rite... use or no use 35 years will take it's toll on vinyl... white wheels tend to ivory with time and that sure looks like fresh engine paint also... but i'm not there and i've never seen it in person and i could very well be completely blind and wrong...

i am generally intriqued about findings of unmolested perfect originals found in barns.. whether it be boats, antique cars, planes, etc etc... i just have a thing for history and originality... like a step back in time...

Root - supporter of truth in advertising :)

mattyboy
03-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm not bashing either, like I said I wish mine could look half as good, that boat is very nice,
btw jamie aren't there tractors to kept in barns ;)

Matty

tmdog
03-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Without a doubt, this boat is quite a find. I won't even comment on the price. If this boat has been unused and sitting in a barn I would question the motor and mechanicals. It would take more than a polishing job before I would take a Sundy morning cruise.

MOP
03-10-2004, 05:05 PM
If it is all original and perfect as it looks who would get it wet? I was visiting an old friend at his car museum, he has a VW Carmanghia sitting there with 3,900 miles. Said he has never run it since he found it, it to is a sweet piece. Kind of over shadowed by the monster hot stuff he has there.

McGary911
03-10-2004, 05:11 PM
That is a pretty boat. Looks like the interior and cockpit cover are fresh. Who knows tho, stranger stuff has been found in a barn for sure. Hell of a hook in that hull, huh?

boxy
03-10-2004, 06:24 PM
If it is all original and perfect as it looks who would get it wet? I was visiting an old friend at his car museum, he has a VW Carmanghia sitting there with 3,900 miles.

I've never understood this type of thinking when it comes to mechanical things. Brilliant designers (Don A., Ferdinand Porsche, Enzo Ferrari, Carroll Shelby) spent countless hours, blood, sweat, and tears to bring their dreams to life, and I've always felt it was wrong to not use it as they intended it.

Phil I haven't spent a lot of time with you, but talking to you at the 1000 Islands, and looking at other boats with you, I think you may share my view, owning this beautiful boat, and not driving it the way Don A meant it to be driven is just wrong.

Drive it like ya stole it !!!!

PS: I spent some great days and nights scrubbing the sidewalls off of a Kharman Ghia, and a 914 while going to school in Thunder Bay, that little VW must be dying to get out and run...

mphatc
03-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Boxy, :canada:

You are absolutely correct!
My business is with specialty toys, cars, race cars . .I also have a few Concours nuts as well, and I've told them if this is only for show, you're in the wrong shop! I find few who treat their collectible toys as show pieces only . . . only those with their heads screwed on wrong

Mario L.
Drive fast, and take chances, you can't take it with you!

Mike Ellison
03-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Just to clear up the question...Is the boat original? I sent an email to the guy selling the boat. He responded:

per Mike Flowers:

Yes it was reworked some the top deck and the out drive was repainted and
the seating. The motor is original and at some point a depth finder was
added.

Scott Pearson
03-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Sorry...thats not original to me. If the top deck and drive where painted its not original. What about the interior and engine? Looks like that was "reworked also".

My 20 hour 1971 18 is 100% original and untouched it has NEVER been reworked....ever. And you know what...its not worth $58,000...or $38,000....or $28,000. I would be lucky to get even $18,000 for it.

Hay....if that 16 is worth $58,000 and its been "Reworked". Then my 1971 18 thats never been touched has got to be worth $78,000. Dont you think???

And you know what...I use my 18 and I would never store it away somewhere to sit and look pretty.

Just putting things in prospective... :D

(NJ)Scott

gold-n-rod
03-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Ahh, the conundrum of terminology. One man's "reworked" is another man's POS!!!!

I've been watching this thread (and the ad) since the boat was "only" $28K. Finally, I needed to comment.

So, the boat was found in a barn with only 10 hrs on the clock. Does that mean mint? I doubt it. What kind of barn? If it was a chicken barn, it might have had 12" of chicken-**** on the deck. Not surprised it needed refinishing. A hog barn? If the sows had litters in the interior, it's no surprise it has new upholstery, either. If it was sealed in an airtight bag in the barn, that'd be another matter......... oops, then there's the mildew to be concerned with.

A 35 yo boat (car, bicycle, mink coat, whatever) is going to need work unless it was properly stored for the duration and that's unlikely. Father Time is not kind (Mother Time, either).

Is it original? Yes. Is it un-restored? No. Is it concours? (sp?) Don't think there is a boat concours, is there (besides Lake Tahoe)? Is it mint, very good, exceptional, like-new, original, never restored, restored, refreshened, reworked, rejuvenated, renovated, restored, rebuilt, reconditioned, a "ten", a grade #1???????????? Queue the Howard Dean scream: AHHHHHHHHH!

All I know is that it's too expensive for my wallet. But, is there someone out there who will pop a major woodie over this boat and fall all over himself to write a check? You betcha!!!!

I'm done, my thesaurus is overworked.

goldnrod

TuxedoPk
03-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Hay....if that 16 is worth $58,000 and its been "Reworked". Then my 1971 18 thats never been touched has got the be worth $78,000. Dont you think???

Just putting things in prospective... :D

(NJ)Scott

:pumpkin: :beer: Congradulations! It looks like you've paid for your new garage with the appreciation on your 18' er

Scott Pearson
03-10-2004, 09:36 PM
But, is there someone out there who will pop a major woodie over this boat and fall all over himself to write a check? You betcha!!!!

goldnrod

I wish I could find that someone to buy my boat for $58,000....Id even throw in a 1968 Orange 18 for free!

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
03-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Ahh, the conundrum of terminology. One man's "reworked" is another man's POS!!!!

I've been watching this thread (and the ad) since the boat was "only" $28K. Finally, I needed to comment.

So, the boat was found in a barn with only 10 hrs on the clock. Does that mean mint? I doubt it. What kind of barn? If it was a chicken barn, it might have had 12" of chicken-**** on the deck. Not surprised it needed refinishing. A hog barn? If the sows had litters in the interior, it's no surprise it has new upholstery, either. If it was sealed in an airtight bag in the barn, that'd be another matter......... oops, then there's the mildew to be concerned with.

A 35 yo boat (car, bicycle, mink coat, whatever) is going to need work unless it was properly stored for the duration and that's unlikely. Father Time is not kind (Mother Time, either).

Is it original? Yes. Is it un-restored? No. Is it concours? (sp?) Don't think there is a boat concours, is there (besides Lake Tahoe)? Is it mint, very good, exceptional, like-new, original, never restored, restored, refreshened, reworked, rejuvenated, renovated, restored, rebuilt, reconditioned, a "ten", a grade #1???????????? Queue the Howard Dean scream: AHHHHHHHHH!

All I know is that it's too expensive for my wallet. But, is there someone out there who will pop a major woodie over this boat and fall all over himself to write a check? You betcha!!!!

I'm done, my thesaurus is overworked.

goldnrod

Goldnrod
if it is not the way it left the factory with the exception of fluids and some wax it is not original it is restored and I bet ya a beer it doesn't sell for more than 18.5k and anyone who would pay more would fall all over him self cause he's brain dead

Ok I didn't want to have to do this but it still has a 35 year old steel tank foamed in ! there i said it! :) :eek: if it is original and the deck has not been split

Matty
ready for my punishment :)

Mike Ellison
03-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Just to clear up the question...Is the boat original? I sent an email to the guy selling the boat. He responded:

per Mike Flowers:

Yes it was reworked some the top deck and the out drive was repainted and
the seating. The motor is original and at some point a depth finder was
added.

I guess I need to rephrase this: Here is the exact question I asked:

"Is this boat original or restored?
>

Hotspare
03-11-2004, 08:46 AM
I saw the boat couple weeks ago at Xtreme ,,,, Just driving by seeing if anybody was around ...... No Sh@#$,,, Saw the boat through the window and thought it was a 40th Anniversary 16cl ..... It Looks Brand New :rlol: As I approached for a better look I began to see the Volvo Hardware hanging off the back ????????? Very nice origional Dude !!!!!!!!!! Heck,,, If it were mine I'd ask 100K ..... Who can really argue !!!!! It's a one of a kind, A true legend ,,,,, No way you'll find another one !!!!!!!!!! I guess what I'm trying to say is ,,,,,, This should only drive our investment value up in the years to come ........ Just glad I bought when I did ,,,,,, :D