PDA

View Full Version : Business Opportunity in Southwest Florida??

RICPAZ
03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey guys,

Well I resigned from my company last week. My last day of work is March 19th and the following week my fiancee and I will head to Florida!!!! Finally!!! We're gonna stay at her parent's place in Davenport for a week or so then move into a more permanent place in either the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area or near Sarasota.

I have been thinking about possibly opening up a business doing auto and boat detailing. I am very anal when it comes to cleaing my boat and cars and I know how to do an excellent job inside and out, and also know which products work the best on different applications. Basically I would provide a service that would wash, wax and thoroughly detail cars, boats and yachts. I would come to the customers residence, workplace (or marina) and do the cleaning there so there is no inconvenience to the customer. And I figure there are plenty of rich people in those areas who own large boats and expensive cars who probably don't want to take the time and effort to do the detailing themselves.

Anyways, since many of you guys live down in Florida in those areas on the southern west coast, do you think there is a good market for a service like this?? Do you think there are already many people doing this and that I'd have too much competition to be successfull?? Also, do most marinas provide their own detailing services or would they allow a private company (person) to come detail boats in their marinas??? Any advice you guys could give me would be much appreciated. Be honest!! If you think I am out of my mind then let me know. By the way, thanks for already answering many of my questions about my relocation to Florida.

I thought a business like this would be enjoyable because my two favorite hobbies are cars and boats and I love working outdoors. Plus I'd much rather do that than work for another large company being stuck in a cubicle or office all day.

If you want to, you can call me at 203-521-4685 to discuss or just reply to this.

Thanks again,
Rich

gcarter
03-09-2004, 03:52 PM
I think that is what Need for Speed does, but a little further South.
He might be able to answer questions.

George Carter

need for speed
03-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Yeah That is what i do! I also take care of many boats on a weekly thing and run them when needed , The only cars i really do are the owner of the boat cars. It works great i love it! I also have a good friend of mine who works with me and and have about 18 - 20 boats we take care of.
should workout for you!!! need any help just let me know...
charles

RICPAZ
03-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Thanks Charles.

Is that your main job or do you do the boat detailing on the side??

-RIch

need for speed
03-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Yeah that's what I do.

and i can still fill up my donzi lol...:)

gcarter
03-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Besides the 22Classic, which by the way, looks great, but Charles also has a spiffy new Dodge tow truck. :eek!: :eek!:

George

need for speed
03-10-2004, 08:46 PM

Donzigo
03-11-2004, 12:09 AM
My son used to do boat detailing; and, still has friends in the business. The going rate to do a boat in St. petersburg seems to be $15 a foot. One can find someone to do it for $10 a foot, just depends. If a marina is used, they will want something for the rack time. it seems that one must develop a following; and, once the word gets out, you become very busy, very quickly.

Good luck.

Surfer
03-11-2004, 09:03 AM
My company just finished a project on Marco Island, that offers dockage for about 100, thirty to fourty footers, with no dockside services yet. The same developer is planing three more of the same type (upscale condos / dockage), and the Naples yatch club is about to undergo a massive redevelopment. There are literally thousands of boats in SW FLA owned by retired elderly people that need your services, get tight with a comunity like the one I described.

RICPAZ
03-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Are all those new marinas in Naples??? Do you know of any in the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area??? I guess the best thing for me to do is go visit/or call the various marinas in the area once I get settled dowwn there? Possibly advertise in the paper, post/hand out flyers, establish a website? Any other ideas???

Do you think there is as big a market for this service in Fort Myers as there is in Naples???

Thanks everyone!
-Rich

12 more days 'till I get to Florida!!!!!!

Surfer
03-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Rich, The project that I just finished is called "Esplanade" and is on Marco Island. Marco is south of Naples. You should look at the Bonita Springs area, a real nice community, that is centrally loacated between Fort Meyers (lots of old people trailer parks, not real upscale) and Naples (lots of wealthy boat owners, real boreing). Theres probably more happening in Fort Meyers (bars, bands, Edison) than Naples (real laid back) But Fort Meyers is closer to Sanibel and Captiva which is real nice for boating / fishing. My 2 cents on the west coast. See ya Rich

RICPAZ
03-12-2004, 09:50 AM
How about the Cape Coral vs. Fort Myers??? Which is better in your opinion? I'm definietly gonna rent a place for a few months before I look at buying a house. And it depends on what kind of job I get and my income as to what kind of house I buy. I'm still trying to find an engineering or outside sales job so that my degree and six years experience don't go to waste!! But I am seriously considering doing the boat/auto detailing thing while I am looking for another job. And if I could make good money doing the detailing then I may not consider getting a job working for a company again. I'm also thinking about trying to get into boat or yacht sales. I'd really like to get involved in the boating industry since it is my hobby and my passion. Just don't know if I can make as much money in the boating industry as I make doing engineering/sales. Plus I need to earn enough money to buy another Donzi!!!! Priorities man!

11 More Days!!!

Brian Freeman
03-12-2004, 10:22 AM
give me a call at 239-671-4000. I live in Fort Myers and I can give you the information you need.

Brian Freeman
03-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I called you at the number and they said that is not a valid extension. Try me back again.

RICPAZ
03-12-2004, 12:16 PM
I'll try you again. My work number is 800-225-0085 Ext. 2110

RICPAZ
03-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Hey Charles (need for speed),

Would you mind if I gave you a call?? I have a few questions I'd like to ask you about how you got started and how you went about starting your business. If that's ok with you then e-mail me your number at rpazik@hotmail.com, or you can call me on my cell at 203-521-4685.

Thanks!
Rich

Lenny
03-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Rich, I don't know if this helps you but here is a Company looking for the following qualified people for a FLA operation...

Job Opportunities In Florida

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our client is looking for the following positions:
Electrical Engineer w/3-5 years boat building experience
Lamination Team Leader - supervise one or more lines of 25+ employees
Assembly Team Leader - supervise one or more lines of 25+ employees

Please send a MSWord formatted resume if you would like to be considered for one of these positions, or if you would like to be considered for others which we are working.

We are also looking for marine engineers, mechanical engineers w/boat background, and product managers.
Suite 219
Hendersonville, NC 28792-2714
Joe@MRI-TrinityGroup.com

RICPAZ
03-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks Lenny!! I'll check it out.