PDA

View Full Version : Computer Related Assistance

Rootsy
03-09-2004, 01:23 PM
for any of you IT Guru's out there..

i purchased a new laptop a few months back.. it comes with NEITHER a parallel or serial port... only a Monitor connection, S-vid out, 2 USB ports and a firewire (IEEE 1394) port.

my dilema,

i have an HP 1100 SE laserjet printer. it has a parallel cable. The printer is a few years old but i've put less than 100 sheets of paper through it... i havn't even dented the toner cartridge.. it performs flawlessly.. i love it... i don't print color stuff very much... actually i hate inkjets.. they are too freakin expensive to operate. but unfortunately i now own one cause i HAD to print some stuff... :mad:

The problem with the 1100 is that it uses a C-connection at the printer vs. a standard parallel (IEEE 1284) connection. I cannot seem to find any info on a C-connection to USB cable.. only the standard parallel to USB cable.

To run it to a network requires an HP print server... hook the printer to the server via Parallel cable then the server to my router and run it networked... least this is what i have gathered. this is cost prohibitive... well over 150 bucks...

SO... does anyone know if there is a C-connection to USB cable available on the market? this is not the 5 pin but the larger one that is maybe 3/4 the width of a standard parallel port. and rectangular vs the trapazoidal shape of the parallel.

How about any other ideas?

i'll give this about 3 days of answers.. otherwise anyone that wants a DAMN good printer with barely ANY use on it contact me via email... jaroot@tdi.net

coems with the drivers and software, parallel cable and printer... all in mint condition... just install drivers, plug it in and go... guaranteed.... printer was a bit over 400 new... i'd like to see half of that if possible... :rolleyes:

JR - HP FRUSTRATES ME

mattyboy
03-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Jamie,
what is the other end of the existing cable for the printer the end that plugged into the old pc?? DB-25
DB-9 male or female?? I believe you can get usb to db-25 or db-9 connectors/cables.

let me know
I might have what you need

Matty

gcarter
03-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi Jamie;
You might check and see if your laptop manufacturer has a docking station with the appropriate port. I use one at work, and the utility is incredible. Slide it in and all the connections are made AND you can have a larger monitor. The docking station has several more connections than the laptop has.

George Carter

RedDog
03-09-2004, 01:53 PM
To run it to a network requires an HP print server... hook the printer to the server via Parallel cable then the server to my router and run it networked... least this is what i have gathered. this is cost prohibitive... well over 150 bucks...

No help on the C-cable. I don't know what this is. I have my HP LJ6L hooked to my "base" computer with a standard parallel cable and gave it "sharing rights" over the network. I print to it with my laptop wirelessly with no "print server." If you have a "base" computer then hook your printer to it with the parallel cable. Get a wireless router for it and a wireless PC Card for the laptop. (Or go hard wire with router for the "base" and PC Ethernet Card and ethernet cable to laptop - in fact, your laptop if newer probably has ethernet connection built in so only need the one router). The networking component are too pricey - especially the wired ones.

But you may also find the right cable. I just found a USB to serial cable so now I can hook my Garmin GPS to my serial port-less laptop.

Rootsy
03-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Guys,

Matty - The C- connection is one i've only ever seen on this printer and apparently used by HP on a couple of other models... it is kind of unique, i'll take a photo tonight... the end for the computer is a standard parallel cable plug.

G- no docking station.. i know what you mean but i dont sit at a desk and play with the puter.. my laptop travels... yes dell makes a docking station for it but i have never really considered it since i don't keep it in a fixed location. i generally sit in the recliner and do what i have to do.

Red - I have a wireless + 4 port router - with my cable feeding it. My laptop has a wireless PCM card in it.;.. i love it... my laptop ALSO has a built in nic card and modem. No base computer just the laptop... the house is too small as it is... and i am the only one there so this is the most efficient for me...

pain in the butt i know... i never keep a printer connected... i get it out when i need to use it and put away when i am done... i'm a mobile kinda person. i havn't owned a desktop since college...

Thanks for the help... expect a photo when i get home matty...

mattyboy
03-09-2004, 02:14 PM
if it is a standard db-25 male cable on the end for the PC
then i think all you need is a usb to parallel cable with a gender bender
those usb/parallel cables run about 50 bucks and a gender bender no more than 5 bucks. you will reuse your cable and so you use the usb end of the new cable to the new pc's usb ports then to the gender bender then plug your existing printer cable into the gender bender and then the other end into the printer
let me see the pics i think that will work

Matty

TuxedoPk
03-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Jamie- I think you might have a $0 cost option available....

Before you had your current laptop you had this printer attached to another computer via the parallel port. Why not leave it attached to that computer (or any other computer with a parallel port) and share it via the operating system?

Rich

mattyboy
03-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Jamie
not good news read about 3/4 of the way down
HP doesn't support usb on the 1100 se ?? :(

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=235424&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpl11166

Matty

ToonaFish
03-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Easiest solution... give your Mother the printer that went with her new/your old laptop! (And then you are justified in buying a nifty new mobile printer...)

Bunches,

Celene "Mother's Day is just around the corner"

mattyboy
03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
ebay hp print servers 50 bucks for 4??????? NOB

Matty

Rootsy
03-09-2004, 03:10 PM
i read that also matty but i don't buy that it hasn't been done but who the heck am i? stubborn? well if it cant be done... she;s for sale...

anywho... what i've researched in the last hour i've wasted here at work... apparently the printer has a MINI CENTRONICS on it instead of the standard 36 pin parallel. the mini centronics is i guess known as the 1284C.

hi ho hi ho off to google i go...

so what about this... http://www.dove.co.nz/products/IOCards/PA550.htm

will it work? will it not? hmmmmm

JR

PS toona. mommy already has a nice fangled inkjet that she received for her birthday a year or two ago... along with my old laptop... and a nice scanner she aquired a christmas or two ago also... i sure hope she enjoyed her week in florida last month too!

and well i popped the 99 bucks for the HP5150 inkjet... if anyone wants a kickass inkjet that doesn't break the bank and doesn't have the LCD screen and the flash card slots but has the same power and resolution... go with this thing... you cannot tell the difference between it and the 35mm developed film... when using premium photo paper... freaking incredible.. but like i said.. ink is expensive...

mattyboy
03-09-2004, 03:20 PM
well try my idea you can always return the cables to compusa or staples

Matty

Brad Lyon
03-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Jamie,

Another source you can check is www.usbcable.com (http://www.usbcable.com) lots of good stuff there.

Brad

Boat_Mon
03-17-2004, 09:43 PM
what you need(or at least what will work)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3083692517&category=20322

then, connect your ethernet cable from the print server to your hub or router/switch. In mapping to the printer go to Start-->Settings-->Printers-->add printer---> Networked printer and create a new TCP/IP port. That is where you will enter the ip address of the print server you just installed, then install the driver, bla bla bla............it works, I've set up literally thousands. Good luck.

Boat_Mon
03-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Remember............HP wants your printers on a network, the printers are a loss leader for the consumables, the more people that can access and use a printer, the more cartridges, drums, toners etc....you have to buy..........bastards. :banghead: