PDA

View Full Version : Boo Canucks

thriller
03-09-2004, 09:17 AM
I've never been more disgusted with our team ..ever. Todd Bertuzzi's sucker punch on Steve Moore of the Avs was an outright intent to injure. I hope he gets the rest of the season off... without pay. Better yet trade him and set an example to the league. Having once played pro hockey, I truely believe the game has changed for the worse. Granted Moore was expecting a little pay back from the Canucks given his hit on Naslund a couple of weeks ago but nothing like this..
GO Detroit GO
MM

boxy
03-09-2004, 09:32 AM
The Canucks have 13 games till the playoffs, they shouldn't expect Bertuzzi back before then....

As far as payback goes, you're right, Moore may have had something coming for his hit on Naslund, ( I personally thought it was a legal hit), but that payback came earlier in the game when Moore was involved in a fight.

Bertuzzi's sucker punch was predatory and premeditated, and there was no excuse for it.

Tony
03-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Tell us (me) more about your hockey career!

thriller
03-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Tell us (me) more about your hockey career!I played in Holland for a 2nd div team in Essen Holland. probably one of the largest rinks in Europe that boast's the worlds largest outdoor speed skating oval. The hockey team probably still has the worst team in Europe. It was great to play there and also to teach the younger kids (children) how to play every Wednesday. That was part of the deal for us imports playing there. We were only allowed to have 5 out of country drafts at the time and the money wasn't all that great ($40K US )but we never played more than 60 games all season.(Now this was back in the late 80's so I guess the cake wasn't too bad for a young kid) Having never made the playoffs I was always home by January 30th. The Europe experience was one of my hi-life experiences. Wish I had put away some greenback then and bought a Crit or something..LOL My junior hockey was in Victoria where I grew up playing with the Courtnall brothers. There father was our coach in the minors and then those boys ended up going pro while I persued with my father a family business. It wasn't til later I had regrets of not taking a scholorship down south and decided to look into playing Europe at a mature age. Wendel Clarke (then with the leafs as well as Courts) suggested talking to his agent Don Meehan. He put the feelers out with my stats from junior and waa laa I got to fill that desire to play. All be it not the NHL but I still got to play and continue to do so today. (Rec hockey)
Cheers,
Mike

Tony
03-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Awesome, Mike! It is neat to hear from someone who shares an appreciation for the two of the coolest things going...Donzis and hockey. I played organized youth hockey in Detroit from age 8 - 15, then off and on pick-up until I got married at age 24. Then it was volleyball, softball, basketball, snow/water skiing and not much hockey. Now I have kind of a mid-life thing going on, and (now that I qualify!), I am preparing to play in a 50+ rec league next fall. My wife bought me new skates for my birthday, Bauer Supreme Classic Gold, and they feel great and I am geeked up to go!

I've also taught and coached middle school kids for 16 years, so I give you credit for working with the kids in Holland. When in a position like that, where you make such an impression on youngsters, it is a really powerful and meaningful feeling.

Playoffs are approaching...the greatest time in all of sports...especially playoff overtime!

GO WINGS!!

goatee
03-10-2004, 12:11 AM
:uzi: didnt see the hit, dont care. if he was an av.,,, he was probably askin for it. hockey is a rough sport. stick it out, or go home to mama.
det., boston, then maybe v.c. i wish your team best of luck! until they meet us. them they can die like the dogs they are!!!

just kidding! that go's for all teams

Doug G
03-10-2004, 07:41 AM
I enjoy a good hockey fight as much as anybody. I have played for 30+ years, although never very well :D . I have also coached for over 10 years.

What Bertuzzi did was cowardice, something Claude Lemieux would do. The thing that bothers me the most is that Bertuzzi doesn't have to do that $hit, he is a terrific player.

If it were up to me, he'd be gone for the rest of this year, the play-offs, and all of next year.

Tony, you are absolutely right, this is the best time of the year, play-off hockey and the Donzi's get wet soon!

Doug

Tony
03-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Moore has a broken neck from this incident, and police are investigating. (That is a whole 'nother topic...) I finally saw the replay of the sucker punch. From behind, while skating, Bertucci clubbed Moore with a right hook into the side of his head. Then as they were falling, with Bertucci riding on top of him, he jams Moore's face hard into the ice. VERY nasty stuff, definite intent to injure. This should be treated similar to what McSorley got got for his stick whack to the head of Brashear several years ago.

thriller
03-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Burke should of traded him at the trade deadline. Set an example that team owners take this s**t seriously. As much as Bert means to this club and fan fare I feel everyone here is ashamed and disgusted with him and the team. Not to mention the 9-2 thumping. The verdict will come down today and he will be fined/penalized heavily. I'm all for a good rough and tough hockey game. That's all part of the game but it's the bulls**t hits/cheapshots/hooking that erk me. I wish they would adopt the rink size that the Europeans have. It would be a much more open game. More room to move and make players skate a little harder. The players today are sooo much bigger with more reach etc. But it always seems to come down to the almighty dollar. Sell more seats/more revenue. Not sure of your thoughts butI love the game play when the Winter Olympics are on. It just seems faster. Guys can set up for the big Howitzer slap shots etc. Way faster... Anyways...I do hope that Moore bounces back and believe me there will be someone gunning for Bertuzzi. I think all the players of the leaque will take this personal..Stay Tuned fellas...The playoffs are approaching and while some teams are thinking golf I'm awaiting the delivery of a crisp shiney 96' Blackhawk LE... Ahhh summers sweet!
Mike

goatee
03-10-2004, 11:26 AM
wow!! maybe i'm going to have to turn on the tv...
it's too bad. i always liked him. sounds pretty bad even for an avelanche..

mattyboy
03-10-2004, 11:38 AM
as a lifetime broad street bully fan I love the physical part of hockey and I love the brawls including the ones that cause international incidents( when the russians would not come out and finish the game in the spectrum in the late 70's !! but this was a cowardly act intended to harm ,
simple ruling 1 yr plus the time it takes Moore to get back on the ice if Moore isn't able neither should Bertruzzi

Matty
where my Kate Smith album

DOND
03-10-2004, 11:50 AM
I am also a huge hockey fan,I have played the game for 40 years,coached and chauffered 2 kids around for travel hockey for many years.What that incident did was put another black eye for hockey in the minds of the general public.With people seeing that it is no wonder why hockey does not get much support except from the people involved in the game.If someone did that on the street, they would be in jail and the same should apply to Burtuzzi.
Don

goatee
03-10-2004, 09:46 PM
turned on the tv, 1st. thing i saw!
ok, that was bad! fighting will always be apart of hockey, but that was uncalled for. moore had no chance to defend himself.
whats the word on his injury? i keep getting mixed reports

boxy
03-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Goat, Steve Moore is currently in a Vancouver hospital, recovering from a concusion, facial lacerations, and 2 broken vertbrae in his neck .......

Bertuzzi will know tomorrow morning what his hockey future holds, the general discussion here is minimum 25 games, and that may not be long enough.

goatee
03-10-2004, 09:58 PM
oh i hear that!!! i got offline this afternoon and tured on the tv and it was the first thing i saw. maybe he needs to be out as long as moore is????

just a thought