PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Question

jeepfan99
03-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Bought an '00 22ZX last season, very satisfied. However, as the season gets closer thinking about some minor stereo upgrades. I have a lot of experience with car audio and have some left over equipment I might as well put in the boat. One question came to mind, what do I ground to? Obviously in a car you can ground to the frame but what about a boat?

Fish boy
03-09-2004, 07:21 AM
not sure about the zx (don't have one)) but I would imagine if you look behind the gauges where the wires are, you will find a long black strip with a lot of screws and some wires in it. This is a bus bar. Most boast have one to do all the grounding to located behind the electronics/dash.

Fish

MOP
03-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Fish is right ground can be picked up esily behind the dash, go for one of the heavy black wire connections. As far as power or + I always recommend picking up a fairly cheap electronics filter and putting it in line. Take your power and memory wires off the filter, either one if spiked can do harm. The best install on any boat is a seperate fused circut with the filter in the positive wire coming straight off the battery with both negitive and positve wires, then brought forward to the dash where you can install a seperate fuse block and take power for any added electronics. This holds true with both marine and car stuff, automotive items as the are less tolerant than marine items. The filter inline kills spikes in the system like starting the engine or using other heavy draw items if the electronics are left on, most modern marine electronics with shut off if spiked.

Woodsy
03-09-2004, 04:35 PM
For the Stereo in my 22 classic, Kenwood head unit, 2 Alpine amps, BA speakers and a couple of powered Bazooka tubes up in the nose, I ran my own cicuit. I used heavy guage monster for my primary and ground, connected directly to the battery. I connected them to a fuse block under the dash specifically for the stereo. I connected my components to that. The standard run of the mill boat wiring will not support a kickass stereo...

Woodsy Von Outboard