PDA

View Full Version : Outboard swap from carb to EFI

harbormaster
03-07-2004, 06:30 PM
On Jefe's 30ZF Donzi, We are swapping two 1998 225 Johnsons with carbs
to 2000 225 Evinrudes with EFI .

Someone says that we need to change out the oil tanks.
Is this true?

Also is there a difference in the fuel system?

EFI usually has a recirculating fuel system.

Anyone knowledgeable on a carb to efi outboard motor swap?

harbormaster
03-08-2004, 02:28 PM
C'mon guyz ,
someone has got to know the answer to this question....

adam d.
03-08-2004, 07:28 PM
On Jefe's 30ZF Donzi, We are swapping two 1998 225 Johnsons with carbs
to 2000 225 Evinrudes with EFI .

Someone says that we need to change out the oil tanks.
Is this true?

Also is there a difference in the fuel system?

EFI usually has a recirculating fuel system.

Anyone knowledgeable on a carb to efi outboard motor swap?
I swapped out two mercury carb outboard 2oo for two mercury EFI 200 and did not change the oil tanks. I have the same oil tanks that I had with Johnson outboards. To my knowledge, there is no difference in the fuel supply etc., just the method burned.

MOP
03-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Scot just poked in here, you should not have to change any of the fuel system. It would be a good idea to vacuum check both the fuel and oil tank feed lines to be sure they are within tolerance, I believe(please check my figures) 3 to 5 inches of vacuum is Ok and as I remember 7 inches will make the engine run lean at speed. One of the younger with a better memory is needed or I will check the manual tomorrow.

Phil

Fish boy
03-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Scot,
asked a friend to be sure. He said:

The oil tanks are the same tank just have a return line fitting plumbed to them. Some late modle tanks have a place for the 5/16 return some dont just check what you got....

The fuel system on the boat side stays the same, primer bulb and all....use a 3/8 fuel line

Controll cables and box will stay the same as will the wiring harness...

This is if you are talking about a DFI FFI

Hope this helps,

Fish

Fish boy
03-09-2004, 06:09 AM
just got a follow-up message:

Make sure your friend's engines have had all service bulletins applied. There was a particularly nasty quality issue involving 2000 FICHTs that resulted in fuel leakage from the injectors into the cowling.

Fish

Team Jefe
03-09-2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the input fellas. HM put this up for me since I've been out of "Cyber-touch" for the last few days.

This is the same type of info I am getting from other sources. It is nice to have that info confirmed.

Also, I have heard that the spark plugs need to be installed where the spark opening is facing the injector hole. Anyone have expereince with that quirk?

As far as the warranty work. The dealer whose sold them to me told theye have new computers, new injectors, new wiring harnesses, new fuel pumps, and the entire lower units were replaced. All per the Evinrude recall....and then some (the dealer is the brother-in-law of the previous owner).

Fish boy
03-10-2004, 07:34 PM
To keep your buddy from replacing the oil tanks, have him look to see if he has the oil tank already setup for the 5/16" oil return hose. If not which is most likely with the 98' MY stuff he can get a kit to convert this real easy. Kit has the hose and everything needed to do this. Part# 176754 its about 40 bucks as to the price of a new tank for 100 bucks... I have seen guys take and tap the tank and just thread a fitting to stick the 5/16" hose on, but with this kit it looks like a factory tank and is simple enough to do...

Also on the 2000 MY motors have him pull the hood on the motors and on the inside of the top of the hood on each side he will see a 1/4" drain hole that was drilled in the air baffle, it was to drain the air baffle of splash water or rain when it got in the baffle. The two 1/4" holes just drained onto the starter on the postside and the PDP on the starboard side of the motor. These need to be sealed up with silicone, there is a 1/4" X 1" slot at the back of the hood that will more than drain the baffle and this is drained over board and not onto the P/H inside the hood. The hole that drained on the PDP has caused plenty of electrical problems for the PDP(power distrubution panel) on the motor and all the fuses and relays in them. He sure will need to seal these if they have not already been...

Fish