PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Problem '87 Classic

Rich Maas
03-07-2004, 03:00 PM
I've got an ignition problem with my '87 18' Classic that has been getting worse for the past couple of years. I'd like to solve it this year before I launch at the end of April.

From time to time, (especially when the boat has been sitting for a week or so), the engine wont turn over when I try to start her up. All I hear is a "click" and the gauges light up so I'm pretty sure I'm getting current thru the switch. After about 30 tries, it turns over just like the problem never existed. I always keep the battery charged and in good condition, so I'm pretty sure it is not the battery. Last year, I had the starter rebuilt thinking it might have been a crappy solonoid and that would solve the problem, but to no avail. If the boat is warm, it usually turns over (but not always). Any thoughts on what the problem is?

Rich

MOP
03-07-2004, 03:36 PM
A guess would be either the assist or starter solinoid is giving up the ghost. I would test each individualy for voltage drop. If unsure how to preform these checks get hold of any marine manufacturers manual they all have reference how to do the checks, you will need an volt ohm meter.

Phil

RedDog
03-07-2004, 03:52 PM
I had the same symptoms last summer - traced it to a bad ignition switch which was an easy replacement.

BUIZILLA
03-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Rich, I have had the EXACT same scenario on my '87 18 LE, since I bought it. When you figure it out lemme know. I'm thinking slave solenoid first....

Jim

N2DEEP
03-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Had these symptoms on my 78 18 this fall and thought I needed a starter. Turned out to be slave solenoid, according to my mechanic. ..... :bonk: whatever a slave solenoid is. Greg

MOP
03-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Because the key switch is so far from the engine they put an assist or what is called a slave by some which is activated by the key switch to supply full voltage to the starter solinoid.

Phil

harbormaster
03-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Poodle, Thats where mie was. It was doing the same thing. I replaced it and voila! no clicking.

BUIZILLA
03-07-2004, 06:52 PM
HM, the switch or the solenoid solved your problem?

J :pimp:

Rich Maas
03-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Sounds like I should just replae both the switch and the assist and the problem should rectify itself. Could it be the switch even though the gauges light up when I engage it?

Rich

gcarter
03-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Sounds like I should just replae both the switch and the assist and the problem should rectify itself. Could it be the switch even though the gauges light up when I engage it?

Rich
Yes, because the gauge light load is nothing compared to the starter solenoid load. While we're on the subject, ALL the connections in the primary circuitry ( battery, starter, solenoids) should be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and grease (or some other preservative) applied liberally to the clean connections.

George

SouthernExposure
03-08-2004, 10:35 AM
I'll have to agree with gcarter. A bad electrical connection can give you the same symptoms. Definitely check your ground on the block for corrosion and or electrical damage from arcing.

Good Luck,

Tony
SE

BUIZILLA
03-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Finally got around to this issue today. Pinned out the switch first, wasn't it... Problem solved. Solenoid # 89-96158T is the latest part number. The mounting bracket is slightly narrower so you can only use one of the 2 mounting fasteners, but no biggy. Starts right up now, everytime.

J :shades: