PDA

View Full Version : Need battery... which one???

N2DEEP
03-07-2004, 11:57 AM
O.K.,I want to replace my battery. I am turning over a 454 merc. Can I just go to Wal-mart or should I get a "name". What do you use/recommend?? I assume it needs to be marine?? Why? Thanks for any responses, Greg.

Dr. Dan
03-07-2004, 12:14 PM
:cistineb: G.......I run a Starter Battery, and a Deep Cycle..I do alot of Business with Sears and last Spring they had some good buys on Marine Batteries...and ironically they were Trimmed in Teal.....sooooooooo I had to do it only cuz I just installed the Eddie Marine Boxes...which were Teal Fusion Coated....if ya exchange you can often get a break as well. Others can offer definitive advice as to the technical differences of Marine vs. Auto Batteries. I believe the Marine are a bit more stable construction on the internal side to put up with the bouncing and I know that can be an issue...Optima Batteries are apparently the most stable,based on how they are constructed...but they are expensive too... :umbrella:

:idea: Doc

MOP
03-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Dan right as usual, marine and aircraft from what I have been told have better construction and more space between the bottoms of the plates and the housing. This is to help them from not building up to much wasted plate material and shorting out.

Phil

MOP
03-07-2004, 02:58 PM
I forgot to add, I used West Marine best battery for a few years, had bad luck went over to another quality brand (theres a lot out there) my jobber had me put his then the West on a scale. There was a 9lbs difference showing the lack of plates as he said and ths poor quality of the West. His battery is now in my Buick and 4 years old still cooking right this very cold winter, buy a good one keep the worries to a minimum.

Phil

Tidbart
03-07-2004, 05:55 PM
If money isn't that bid a deal......

Check out the Optima style battery. They are smaller than lead-acid in size, weight too, I am guessing. They will deliver about 800 CCA. Plenty for this motor. They have no acid to spill, they are sealed. No leaks and no gassing is a good thing. They hold a charge better and longer.

The only down side is the cost. My cost at NAPA was about $90 or so. I have seen them advertised in the $120 range. Depends on you and your situation with $$. If you know someone who can get you a discount at a parts store, check it out. The extra 20-30 bucks was worth it for me.

They make an automotive style and a marine style. Same battery, but the automotive one only came with side mount posts, not top ones, an easy adaption.

Good luck.

Bob

Bob

MOP
03-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Bob gald you brought up the Optimas they are from what I have seen and heard not good but great well worth the bucks. I have several Buds with them in thier 4X4 beaters, the hold up much better than most for guys with winches.

Cuda
03-07-2004, 08:59 PM
I went battery shopping Friday. I bought two marine starting batteries at Sam's Club. The were $54 each with 1000 MCA. By far the best bargain I found.

gcarter
03-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Besides the differences allready outlined about marine vs. starting batteries is;
a marine deep cycle battery is designed to be completely discharged, over and over, for lights and slow discharge use. A marine deep cycle battery is not designed to be discharged quickly i.e. start an engine.
A starting battery is designed to "spill its guts" starting an engine. If you discharge a starting battery more than 40%, it will never recover.
Marine deep cycle and starting batteries have different purposes.

George

Rootsy
03-07-2004, 09:07 PM
after going through batteries in just about every thing i own cept my F150... i have gone to optimas and have had trouble free performance for the last couple of years...

in sitting applications such as my antique tractors and the boat over the winter, even if i don't unhook the battery they stay up and they so far have lasted up to 3 years which is the oldest one i have... i generally buy two or three when i find em on sale...

cabelas usually runs a sale in the spring... time to be looking again :)

they do make different blue (marine) tops... Deep cycle and starting in different CCA and BIGTIME different pricing... so pay attention

Root

Cuda
03-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Besides the differences allready outlined about marine vs. starting batteries is;
a marine battery is designed to be completely discharged, over and over, for lights and slow discharge use. A marine battery is not designed to be discharged quickly i.e. start an engine.
A starting battery is designed to "spill its guts" starting an engine. If you discharge a starting battery more than 40%, it will never recover.
Marine and starting batteries have different purposes.

George

The one's I bought were marine starting batteries, not marine deep cycle.

gcarter
03-07-2004, 09:15 PM
The one's I bought were marine starting batteries, not marine deep cycle.
Yeah....I should have been more specific.

George

N2DEEP
03-07-2004, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=gcarter]Besides the differences allready outlined about marine vs. starting batteries is;
a marine battery is designed to be completely discharged, over and over, for lights and slow discharge use. A marine battery is not designed to be discharged quickly i.e. start an engine.

George[/QUOTES

Soooo...with my application, 1 battery system for everything, I should get marine.......starting???

gcarter
03-07-2004, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=gcarter]Besides the differences allready outlined about marine vs. starting batteries is;

George[/QUOTES

Soooo...with my application, 1 battery system for everything, I should get marine.......starting???
Yes. my bad. You need a marine starting battery.

George

Ed Donnelly
03-07-2004, 09:46 PM
I have 2 batteries in the Criterion
1 marine battery to start the engine
1 marine deep cycle for the stereo
When I restart the engine, I charge the marine first,then I switch over to the deep cycle. That way I never worry about getting home....Ed

gcarter
03-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Ed, you can add an isolator to the alternator output to both your batteries, so you can charge both batteries simultaneously. It's a solid state device ( I believe incorporating a diode) that lets that lets alternator output flow to both batteries. This is wired around the main selector switch. They are used extensively on larger boats with multiple battery "banks".

George

JimG
03-08-2004, 07:15 AM
I use the Maxx29 from Wal-Mart in both my boats, (two in the Trojan, two years. Krakmeup runs 4), and have had great results. It's the big yellow one. They are $64.99 and have the BEST replacement warranty in the biz. Plus there's a Walmart on every corner down here, so picking one up on the way to the water is easy. They also fit in the older boats, like a glove, under the rear seat. No sliding around at all...

rickrsbro
03-08-2004, 07:51 AM
not to change the subject, but this site has a lot of good information on battery types, charging rates, construction ect.

read bruce's musings for a good laugh. it's monday, you'll need one before the day is out. :cool!: sonnenschein (http://www.sonnenschein.org)

Ed Donnelly
03-08-2004, 04:54 PM
gcarter. Yes I see them at the boat shows every winter,but,I am either too lazy or too cheap to bother with another project(all of 2 hrs.)Thanks for the heads up anyway....Ed

N2DEEP
03-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Well....I was at the local Walmart today and wandered off to the automotive section....again. funny how my wife knows to find me there. Anyway that big YELLOW Maxx29 battery really caught my eye.$ 64.99 later I was on my way out the door. Looks like it will be a better fit + way more cca's and reserve than what I had. I am still interested in checking out the Optimas for some of my agricutural applications, but I was too tight to spring for the big bucks for my toy...this time. Thanks for your responses to this thread.