PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun Poster

smoothie
03-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Was working at a german co. last week and they had this hanging in the engineering office :lookaroun ,so I had to take a pic,its full size and makes nice garage wallpaper.

Cuda
03-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Cool picture. I saw one for sale recently with the same 90MPH paint job. Do you know what year that was?

smoothie
03-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Cool picture. I saw one for sale recently with the same 90MPH paint job. Do you know what year that was?

90 mph TOPGUN
Motorboat and Sailing magazine did a boat test and cover article on that actual boat.The date of the magazine article is July of 1989,making that Cig either a 1989 or 1990.According to the article,the boat was a full staggered,#3 boat spinning 16 by 30 props.Motors were 605 cubic inch hawk engines with aluminum blocks and 2 four barrel tunnel ram holleys making 800 hp.With 6 people and 200 gallons of gas the boat hit 92 mph. ;) thanks Cuda,Didnt think to post it on OSO...

CDMA
03-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Think boat design hasn't come far??

Today we can do 90 with 525's with room to spare.

Chris

smoothie
03-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Think boat design hasn't come far??

Today we can do 90 with 525's with room to spare.

Chris

For sure are not making them as heavy,I bet ya this boat weights 5 ton!

CDMA
03-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Point still remains...boats of today with equal power are running cirlces around the boats of 10 years ago.

Chris

gcarter
03-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Point still remains...boats of today with equal power are running cirlces around the boats of 10 years ago.

Chris
So Chris, how are they lighter, without going to carbon fiber etc?

George

CDMA
03-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Well in some respects we are going to more advanced fibers. For example many of the new Donzi's come with partial kevlar bottoms as part of the Daytona package.

In addition over the last 10 years the transition to biax, triaxial and now even quadraxial fiberglass have raised the strength/weight ratio of the laminates. Allowing for significantly stronger lighter laminate sections.

That extra speed also come from hull design. While some people have some negative feelings, at times rightfully so, about stepped hulls (primarily in turns) the bottom line is they are by far faster then their straight bottom predecessors. I would say in a general blanket statement as much as 20% faster in ideal conditions/some cases. At the same time a poorly done step bottom can be no faster and a real handfull. The 38ZR is a clear example that a step bottom can not only be faster but just as easy to drive.

Chris

Speaking of Laminate...back to the thesis world. Need to get an update post in here sooner or later.

gcarter
03-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Well in some respects we are going to more advanced fibers. For example many of the new Donzi's come with partial kevlar bottoms as part of the Daytona package.

In addition over the last 10 years the transition to biax, triaxial and now even quadraxial fiberglass have raised the strength/weight ratio of the laminates. Allowing for significantly stronger lighter laminate sections.

That extra speed also come from hull design. While some people have some negative feelings, at times rightfully so, about stepped hulls (primarily in turns) the bottom line is they are by far faster then their straight bottom predecessors. I would say in a general blanket statement as much as 20% faster in ideal conditions/some cases. At the same time a poorly done step bottom can be no faster and a real handfull. The 38ZR is a clear example that a step bottom can not only be faster but just as easy to drive.

Chris

Speaking of Laminate...back to the thesis world. Need to get an update post in here sooner or later.
That's interesting Chris.
Are you useing finite alement design? Or are you using tried and tested schedules for known applications?
George

CDMA
03-14-2004, 06:32 PM
A combination of both. I do FEA work in ALGOR but at the same time a lot comes from what has been done before.

Chris

At times Algor is not my friend...

CDMA
03-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Ok where did my avatar go???? You go away for a little bit and ....

gcarter
03-14-2004, 06:39 PM
One more question Chris.
Is Lindsey Lord still considered the Godfather of V and stepped hulls, or has some other work replaced him?

George

CDMA
03-14-2004, 06:50 PM
While Lindsey and Ray Hunt are still very much the "god fathers" of planning hull design to a great extent their work has been super-ceded. Lindsey and Ray are primarily responsible for much of the early work involving angle of attach, wetter surface area, chines and strakes. We do still draw off of their work but at the same time people such as Donald Blount, Micheal Peters, etc. have furthered the advancement of many other concepts. At this point I would not say I could name one person I felt could be called the "father" of stepped hulls. It has very much been a colaborative effort and as far as I am concerned no single person has yet to write the book on the topic. At this point I am working on what is a long derivative of an early Blount work for my thesis and I am also working with a younger member of my school to continue that work when I graduate. There is a lot left to be learned for sure at the same time the more I learn about it the more convinced I am it is a science not an art. Its only an art to those that don't understand it.

Chris