PDA

View Full Version : So, i'm sitting there in traffic...

BUIZILLA
03-06-2004, 11:43 AM
dead STOPPED, minding my own business listening to the Martha Madness on the news on the way home last night, when all of a sudden... WHOOMPH.... :o I get a good jolt from the back. Now, mind you, i'm in my F350 dually, dead stopped for a minute or so, that doesn't move very easy anyways, the bad part is.... the Criterion is attached to the dually. :shocking: I count to 3.... get out e v e r so s l o w l y and proceed to the rear of the rig. The driver of the car that hit me has this *deer in the headlights* panic on his face, and he e v e r so s l o w l y exits his car in profuse apology. I observe a nasty gash in the hood/grille of his Accord. All the while he is scared to death of me, he's all of 22 or so, and in full panic mode. I don't have the nerve yet to look at my outdrive.... when I study the outdrive carefully, I observe zero damage, except the paint off his hood, stuck all down the leading edge of one prop blade as it knifed into his hood.
I tell the guy it's cool, be more careful next time, and we go on our way. He is soooooooo relieved he thanks me profusely for letting him off so easy.

Oh well, another day in paradise.

J :pimp:

Walt. H.
03-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Jim you might want to make a call to your insurance broker just to be on the safe side, it won't cost you a sur-charge or anything but it will protect you if he reports that you backed up into him tomorrow and drove off.

Yeah how stories can change overnight, you we're the nice guy today and you could be screwed tomorrow :yes: !

It happened to me once,

Walt, nice guy's finish last :banghead:

MOP
03-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Glad it turned out Ok! Walt has a good idea, and also gald we were not still BSing.

Phil

Fish boy
03-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Really happy to hear you and the criterion are OK (and that you do not have a criminal charge for killing the guy before checking the drive LOL).

Fish

Cuda
03-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Whew! I was almost afraid to finish the post after the first couple of lines. Glad nothing was damaged.

BUIZILLA
03-06-2004, 08:13 PM
MOP, I had actually just hung up from you, put the phone back in the carrier when I stopped, then a minute later....

hmmmm, maybe I need to go out and check the tilt operation... :idea:

J :cartman:

Blewbyu
03-06-2004, 09:59 PM
If you have a friend who is attorney, call him/her first, and ask how you should proceed. Don't call your insurance broker unless you have damage.The insurance co. will 'Ding' you for having an accident (doesn't make any difference whose at fault), and your rates will increase.
I speak from experience (with Farmers). I voted with my wallet, and left them after 44 years!!!

Walt. H.
03-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Blewbyu,

Not so!
If your not filing a claim for damages or the other guy's insurance is going to pay in full because its his fault, as in following to close or your parked & you catch him etc. The only time you get banged with a premium sur-charge is 1- when your at fault & 2- when you have damages and the other guy took off, as in "I came out of the store and found my vehicle was slammed while parked in the lot. Or you just have a bad history of being hit!

Your broker will advise you what to do, not rat you out to main insurance company.

If I didn't know for sure what I was talking about I wouldn't have made my privous surggestion to Jim!

I'm sorry things we're different for you but it should not have happened to you if it was the same situation as Jims.

Walt, :yes:

Digger
03-07-2004, 05:55 AM
holy close-call Batman! Jim, glad to hear you got out of that one ok.

RedlineFever56
03-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Always carry a disposable camera and take pictures in accident situations.
I drive T/T for a living and in our accident kit is always a camera. :garfield:

MOP
03-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Jim check the prop it may have been knocked out of whack and not visable to the naked eye. Did you grab his plate # ?

Phil

Forrest
03-08-2004, 10:06 AM
You know, the same thing happened to me a number of years back in Virginia Beach. I was towing my 16 and I noticed some guy is tailgating my trailer. Wit that in mind, I slowed gradually as I approached the upcoming stop sign, but as soon I came to a complete stop - boom! He hit me. I got out of the truck walked back to the outdrive and luckly no damage - maybe a little paint scrape on the fin. But what I couldn't help but notice, as the guy still sat in his car, was the smashed in grill and green antifreeze and steam blowing out everywhere. With that, I walked up to his window and with a stern look on my face I said, "You need to learn to be a little more careful". With that, I just drove away trying not to laugh my ass off - but I did!

Anyway Jim, no police report, no damage to your property. I would just say forget it and move on. If this guy decides to come after you, its just his word against yours. I'm sure that he was just glad to get the hell out of there without the police arriving on the scene.

McGary911
03-08-2004, 11:25 AM
I'd have the prop checked on his ins co's tab. i doubt he hit hard enough to bend the shaft, but I'd check it too. It would be terrible to fire her up in the spring, and have a vibration. Hey, you're in florida right? have you run her since the accident?

BUIZILLA
03-08-2004, 11:50 AM
McGary, Poodle and I were headed out yesterday, but the RC races got in the way....It'll have to wait until this coming weekend.

J