PDA

View Full Version : More Internet Trouble!

MOP
03-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Today I recieved an E-Mail from what I though was my ISP Have all the good ear marks, it stated that a virus was passing through my mail system. It had a Zip file and a password to fix the problem. So dumb me I opened it and thankfully my AV grabbed it and killed it. Called the ISP told them of the problem an hour later a general mail went out stating this is a nation wide problem! Gee I guess they wait for the poop to hit the fan to tell people!

So watch out for mail from your provider, hopefully wring you not Bombing you!

Phil / MOP

Ed Donnelly
03-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Had the same thing yesterday
One bogus E-mail with attachment
Right below that one , was one from rogers warning me
I just forwarded it to my provider , then deleted it and deletedfrom my trash bin
Thanks for the heads up....Ed

TuxedoPk
03-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Today I recieved an E-Mail from what I though was my ISP Have all the good ear marks, it stated that a virus was passing through my mail system. It had a Zip file and a password to fix the problem. So dumb me I opened it and thankfully my AV grabbed it and killed it. Called the ISP told them of the problem an hour later a general mail went out stating this is a nation wide problem! Gee I guess they wait for the poop to hit the fan to tell people!

So watch out for mail from your provider, hopefully wring you not Bombing you!

Phil / MOP

Today's trojans are doing a better job of tricking people by Socially Engineering ways to spoof the source of emails, etc.

As a general rule, a way to have quickly spotted this as a bogus email is the fact that ISPs tend never to provide any type of warnings, patches, etc. This isn't their line of business. Thy are known to send out emails offering you to upgrade your service for additional fees, etc.

In my opiniion it is usually of waste of time trying to report these type of issues to your ISP. They don't have a way to put this information to any good use and unless you have a speakerphone, all that comes of the experience is a red ear from holding online. :bonk:

Glad to see you have you antivirus program up to date and protecting you.

Brad Lyon
03-05-2004, 07:28 PM
A product I use that has saved my butt a few times is Mail Washer. They have a free version that will only check one address or their pro version ($30) will check several mailboxes at one time.

What I like best about this program is that you get to see who is sending you email, preview the message, see how large of a file it is (great for dial-up) and it will indicate if by chance it contains a virus before you download the message to your computer. You will also have the ability to bounce junk mail back to the sender and I have noticed the amount of junk mail has decreased. Check out their site and give it a try, I really like it. Tucows gives it a 5 cow rating.

Brad

http://www.firetrust.com/products/pro/

harbormaster
03-05-2004, 07:58 PM
I have started using "ChoiceMail One 2.1".

It works awesome. it forces unknown folks to reply back with a code that they receive. You then have the option to a approve or deny delivery of the email.

NEVER EVER OPEN OR ACCEPT AN EMAIL FROM ANYONE THAT HAS A .ZIP, .DOC, .SCR, OR .EXE ATTACHEMENT.

i ONLY ACCEPT IMAGES.

MOP
03-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Hey Tux good to see a tech jump in!