PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

Cuda
03-04-2004, 07:19 PM
I just realized I need a fuel pump for the Minx. It came originally equipted with a 320 Efi engine, so I presume it was an electric fuel pump. Should I go back with an electric or get a mechanical? I'm leaing towards electric. If so, which one?

MOP
03-04-2004, 07:24 PM
I am alsos thinking about an electric, the inline ones interest me. Maybe Jim will pop in with info he deals with that stuff all day.

Phil

cigarette30
03-04-2004, 07:26 PM
I just realized I need a fuel pump for the Minx. It came originally equipted with a 320 Efi engine, so I presume it was an electric fuel pump. Should I go back with an electric or get a mechanical? I'm leaing towards electric. If so, which one?

The electric fuel pump should be a little less prone to vapor lock, I would stay original. (assuming your still running the E.F.I)

BUIZILLA
03-04-2004, 07:30 PM
I dunno guys, the stock dual diaphragm Merc is a purty good piece, and still very cheap. Not saying the electric is bad, but why bother??

J

Cuda
03-04-2004, 07:38 PM
The electric fuel pump should be a little less prone to vapor lock, I would stay original. (assuming your still running the E.F.I)

No, I ditched the Efi unit. I was originally going to put it back on. The aluminum intake is what failed to originally puke the engine. It had been repaired, but I didn't trust it. Then I read there was a design flaw in that system that caused it to spray the fuel in such a way that it washed the oil from the cylinder walls. I have a cast iron hi rise with a marine q jet. Poodle knows the history of this intake.

Cuda
03-04-2004, 07:42 PM
This is what I'm changine to.

cigarette30
03-04-2004, 08:07 PM
This is what I'm changine to.

If you have "ditched" the E.F.I., I will lean toward the manual as referanced.

gcarter
03-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, I'm just thinking...
With the EFI, if you lose oil pressure, the pump turns & stops putting out fuel.
But with an electric pump and a carb, what's to turn off the pump if the engine seizes or the floats were to jam up, or the fuel line fail and the pump is still running because the ignition is still on?
Well you get the picture, am I missing something?

George

gcarter
03-05-2004, 05:54 AM
Put the FP on an oil pressure switch..
OK Scott...I';ll bite, but, you work with industrial equipment, don't you have to use an overide button (of some sort) so the pump to run to get it started?

George

Cuda
03-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Okay, it turns out I still have the original electric pump. It was in the pile of EFI stuff that I don't plan on using. Should I go ahead and use it, or is a mechanical better for my application?

gcarter
03-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Okay, it turns out I still have the original electric pump. It was in the pile of EFI stuff that I don't plan on using. Should I go ahead and use it, or is a mechanical better for my application?
I think your EFI pump runs at about 40 PSI, while you don't need more than three to eight maybe for a carb. Also the EFI pump is designed to return to the tank after the EFI pressure regulator. If you go electric, you'll need a different type of pump. My $.02. Also, Cuda, reread my discussion withM.P. above. Something to consider. The mechanical pump would be the safest, simplest, and cheapest in the short run. Another $.02. At this rate you'll get rich in about a million years.
George