PDA

View Full Version : Lime & Rust Removal Flush

Grip-it
03-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Has anyone ever ran a lime and rust remover throught there system via water flush? ( fed throug earmuffs and out exhaust) I wanted to run something through the system to clean it out. Any suggestions?

Dax McDavid
03-04-2004, 02:57 PM
I have used "Salt-Away" to remove salt, I am not sure if will work on lime and rust. I will check. I know that if you run your boat in the salt water the salt will dissolve the lime build up, but leave you with more rust. I would choose lime over saltwater any day.

MOP
03-04-2004, 04:35 PM
A rig I have used that works quite well is putting the drive in a tub to keep recirculating the water and running a heavy mix (4 cans of Super Prestone) radiator cleaner through. The super has rust remover in it.

Phil

Digger
03-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Use salt-away. It works extremely well.

Grip-it
03-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Poodle,

Does soap really a good Idea? I was told some people do it and I was told not to do it? What do you think? In addition, what can I do to remove rust build up from many years of neglect from a previous owner? Thanks Buddy!

MOP
03-06-2004, 10:32 PM
If you are doing the block you need strong stuff to loosen up rust, why is it needed. Are you having problem?

Phil

Grip-it
03-07-2004, 01:48 PM
No, I'm not havng a problem. Although, when I was winterizing, I noticed my thermostat had alot of lime and rust all over it. Also, last year I replaced my manifolds and noticed the same. I just was wondering if anything I could do?

Cuda
03-07-2004, 02:05 PM
I used to pour dish soap in the end of the hose before I hooked it to my outboard for flushing. That way when the bubble quit, I knew it had been completely flushed.

On an older engine, getting old rust and scale loose from the block may cause you more harm than good. I haven't done it on a boat, but on an old truck engine I flushed it with radiator cleaner and small chunks would plug up some water passages. I finally took a nylon and made a screen to filter out off the loose scale by putting it across the radiator hose.