PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hatch Supports

Garyw1
03-03-2004, 11:53 AM
I notice on most of the pics in the gallery that almost everyone has something other than the steel rod that comes standard supporting their hatch. I can't really tell which seems to be more popular, "gas struts" or a powered hydraulic ram. I hate "The Rod" and want to change to something else, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated by the new guy.

Last Tango
03-03-2004, 12:22 PM
IMO your Classic 22 engine hatch would be better off with simple sidemounted gas struts than with an electrohydraulic lift screw. Three words: Simplicity, Access, Cost
:cool!:

gcarter
03-03-2004, 12:26 PM
If someone would post some highly detailed photos of how the gas struts are mounted to the deck, it would be appreciated.

George

Greg K
03-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Here's a good source for stainless gas struts for the hatch.
http://www.spdhardware.com/gs4.htm
They also carry stainless mounting brackets and hardware for them starting on page 8.
It's been done several ways, I just don't have any pics to show at the moment.

Garyw1
03-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys, I was sort of leaning toward the strut idea bbut I wanted to see what the general consensus of the board was. Mounting them isn't really a problem George, A. make sure that you mount the hatch end at least 2/3rds of the way from the hinge. B. make sure that when you mount the lower end, you allow for the closed length and about 1/4 inch. C. Through bolt everything. Thanks again. :garfield:

JimG205
03-04-2004, 09:20 AM
I along with George need a close up of mounting location's for gas struts for my minx,detailed measurements would be a real plus-Thanks,Jim :wrench:

Grip-it
03-07-2004, 10:30 PM
I along with George need a close up of mounting location's for gas struts for my minx,detailed measurements would be a real plus-Thanks,Jim :wrench:
Pics would be sooo helpful.
Thanks

Scott Pearson
03-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Here is pictures of my hatch supports. I leaned them back so the engine is easyer to work on. Donzi from the factory mounts them in the opposite direction....kinda sucks when you need to work on something. The way I mounted them they dont get in the way.

I'm sure Donzi will copy this too............

(NJ)Scott

JimG205
03-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Scott- Thanks for the photo's-What length struts did you use??Any information appreciated. Jim :convertib

Cuda
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
How are they mounted in the upper (hatch) end? I assume they aren't through bolted because the nuts wouldn't clear the deck.

gcarter
03-08-2004, 06:11 PM
How are they mounted in the upper (hatch) end? I assume they aren't through bolted because the nuts wouldn't clear the deck.
Cuda, it looks to me like they included a cored area for the ends to land on, so they aren't through bolted. What do you think? It lookd like they did the same on the deck, they molded on som ears.

George

Grip-it
03-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Do you have any close up photo's of how each end of the spring is mounted?
I need to see the close-up views.

Steven Cohn
03-29-2004, 09:55 AM
I don't know, everyone seems to like the gas struts. The struts seem to wear out after a couple of years. I favor the flexable stainless steel spring supports. They're not as smooth or "clean" looking, as the struts, and one has to muscle the hatch open, but they last.

Cuda
07-20-2004, 10:51 AM
I knew if I looked long enough, I would find this thread again.

I bought two 20# gas struts for my hatch. I see that Pearson glassed something in to make a place to mount it on the hatch, and on the sides. Can I get a step by step detail as to how to go about it?

BTW, the struts were $8 a piece, and the hinge thingy's were $1.75.

Cuda
07-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Here's the underside of my hatch and the sides of my engine compartment.

need for speed
07-20-2004, 10:59 AM
mine look like this... this may help

Cuda
07-20-2004, 11:12 AM
NFS, did you fabricate that? What is on the bottom of the hatch?

EricG
07-20-2004, 01:57 PM
FWIW - here's a picture of my setup. It's very similar to the others...

EG

Cuda
07-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Eric, is there something under the mounts on the hatch? How are they mounted at the sides?

EricG
07-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Cuda, the mounts just appear to be glued and screwed into the coring in my hatch. They are not through bolted (no backing plate on the outside). I've often wondered if my hatch wasn't redone/replaced at some point. It just seems a bit "different" than the rest of the hull.

I don't honesly know how they are mounted on the bottom, as I haven't looked, but I do know that they are either screwed or bolted through the "lip" around the edge of the engine compartment.

I'm in South Carolina right now, but when I get back this weekend I'll take some better pics....

EG

Speed-Racer
07-21-2004, 01:53 PM
I think it's all where you prefer mounting them....on the newer classic's there's a special stainless backing plate for them being through bolted(which is on the topside).

Attwood makes clean looking stainless struts, or paint black struts to match your boat, Air22 did I believe. Both ad a custom look.

Pearson...I like how you mounted yours, that would have saved me some agravating times while trying to work in the engine compartment. :banghead:

Cuda
07-21-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm going to try to make some Pearsonesque mounting places on the boat. We'll see how it turns out.

gcarter
07-21-2004, 07:52 PM
You know, there was a similar thread in Feb. or March. Someone posted an URL of a company that makes struts and brackets. I didn't bookmark it because "Hey, it
s on the site isn't it"?
Well, guess what, I can't find it! :angryfire
Anyway, this company offered many brackets, even in SST that would allow universal installation of just about anything.
I was impressed because you could install struts on any boat without modifying the hatch or the opening.
Maybe someone else could search and find it.
Or maybe I'm just getting old and senile. :smash:

:wavey:

GeneD
07-22-2004, 05:38 AM
Donzi puts these things on just about everything they make now. What you really need is the stainless plate that has two screws welded to it. This piece goes on the top on the hatch, the two screws go into holes you drill into the hatch. The mounting plate for the shock gets bolted to this stainless plate. This makes installation neat and clean. I'm pretty sure they can be had from Donzi at around $12 ea. You'll need two of 'em.
One catalog I was looking at had a formula to calculate what size and strength strut is required. I'll see if I can find it, and get it copied. The stainless shocks are the way to go, only they are way pricey. Don't forget to make sure you get all stainless hardware, I bought the ones (by mistake) that had zinc mounting balls, and they rusted away. For a few dollars more, you get stainless balls :eek!: .
I've done two of these installations, and it looks great and is extremely functional. Here is a very poor picture of 007 with the stainless plate on top of the hatch. Don't forget the hatch on this boat opens sideways...

Ed Donnelly
07-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Now I know why you live in Florida. You wouldn't last 1 day in our northern winters(stainless balls)...Ed

GeneD
07-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Well, let's not say one day...
I did one year at Oswego State University on Lake Ontario, that's almost Canada! The dorm I stayed in was nicknamed 'Ice Station Zebra', we were right on the lake. The ice from the lake piled up on the shore like nothing I can really describe. Very erie. The year I was there, Oswego set the record in New York for snowfall. There was so much snow, they dug it up and dumped it in the lake to get it off the street. The snow plows at school pushed it against the light poles in the parking lots, and by December, it was as high at the lights. They had special plows that packed the snow against the side of the road, so that eventually, you would get snow walls of about 10-12 feet. The wind would blow over the roads and make tunnels. I hated it...you couldn't go anywhere without your snorkel coat and gloves.
I transferred to Morriville A&T the next year, and I'll be damned if they didn't set the record for snowfall. Only this was in Cherry Valley, and it was a nice snow. Very calm, very serene. Not the artic snow of Oswego.
When I got the chance to move to Florida, I didn't hesitate. Must be some reason that Florida has more Canadian tourists than any other foreign nation! :wink:
And as of yet, I don't have any stainless balls, I'm hoping to get some next week! :eek!:
Hope ya'll's engine hatch gas strut shock thingys work out. It's the way to go. And by the way, I've never had the shocks wear out, they only got rusty and stopped working properly. And of course, my zinc balls rusted out... :bawling:

Ed Donnelly
07-23-2004, 11:48 AM
GeneD; Thank you for clearing that up. I now know where I went wrong. It is BRASS balls from Florida that can't survive the far north....Ed

margo
12-03-2007, 02:10 PM
GeneD; Thank you for clearing that up. I now know where I went wrong. It is BRASS balls from Florida that can't survive the far north....Ed
I know what your talking about Gene i live about a half hr east of cherry valley in the Mohawk valley we had a ice and snow storm last night ...Broke my hump tyring to clean it up before the temp drops into the 20,s tonight Hollywood Fl. here i come day after Christmas come back in May....Joe

GeneD
12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Most of the hardware including the gas struts can be found in your WestMarine Catalog. The stainless plate with the welded screws can only to be had at Donzi. At least I haven't been able to come across them anywhere else.

Greg K
12-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Here's your Link (http://www.spdhardware.com/catalog/list.asp?id={EC288F95-296D-4870-B823-BF60800DABE2})

You know, there was a similar thread in Feb. or March. Someone posted an URL of a company that makes struts and brackets. I didn't bookmark it because "Hey, it
s on the site isn't it"?
Well, guess what, I can't find it! :angryfire
Anyway, this company offered many brackets, even in SST that would allow universal installation of just about anything.
I was impressed because you could install struts on any boat without modifying the hatch or the opening.
Maybe someone else could search and find it.
Or maybe I'm just getting old and senile. :smash:
:wavey:

gcarter
12-03-2007, 06:04 PM
And here's some SST struts;
http://www.ameritoolmfg.com/store.asp?pid=12039

Madcow
12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Dana sells a ton of hydralic hatch hardware, thats what I plan on using on mine. The question I have is where to find some good hinges. I don't want to use the "fall appart" hinges that came stock on my boat, but I still want something that looks period correct.