PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tanks?

DonziNUTS
03-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Guys,
I am ready to get a tank for my 16'.....I called Flordia Marine Tanks and they said $225.00. Does anyone have another contact for tanks? Is this a half decent price? I bought one for my '72 16 five years ago for $175.00.

Also, Does anyone know where I can get the viewing glass on the floor to see the sending unit?

Thanks for your help!

Mike Baiocco

Forrest
03-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Check RDS Manufactruing in Perry, Florida (http://www.rdsaluminum.com/). RDS OEMs tanks to Donzi and about 65 other boat builders. These guys are very marine fuel-tank knowledgeable and will work with you on a stock or custom job to make sure that everything is right. They'll also e-mail you a CAD drawing of your tank for your approval prior to construction. Best of all, the prices are not bad and all the tanks include a high quality sender (much better than Tempo) as well.

mattyboy
03-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Mike ,
sounds reasonable to me 10$ a year inflation, are you missing the glass?? any glass shop should be able to cut out a disc for you the new tanks come with a site gauge and an electronic gauge

Matty

MOP
03-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Anyone know what a factory Poly tank would go for? Better than aluminum will last as long as the boat.

mattyboy
03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
MOP,
you keep mentioning a factory poly tank OEM, if there is an OEM MFG of a poly tank for the old 16's please post it, a 23-25 gallon site gauge poly tank, without removing bulk heads and not custom made for $225,if not let the poly go please

BTW how long is a 34 yr old fiberglass boat supposed to last??? :bonk:

Matty
Maybe I can bolt my trim tabs right up and ride my poly tank around :tongue:

MOP
03-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Matty have they changed the compartment? The poly tanks are 30 gallons I thought all the 16's had 30's and it would be an easy fit with ended worry and up the resale slightly.

Phil

mattyboy
03-03-2004, 08:58 PM
who makes the poly 30 gallon tanks?? do they have a site gauge?? and with the extra 5 gallons would there be room enough to foam it in!!! :rolleyes:

Matty

MOP
03-03-2004, 10:38 PM
It would be nice to know who does make them, mine is strapped with just the electric sender. The 5 gallons gives me roughly 1-1/2 hours more running time and maybe 35-40 more miles in range with my little 302 Ford. Wonder what Donzi would sell one to a member for? Gonna miss that fuel economy with the 22!

Phil

mattyboy
03-03-2004, 10:59 PM
MOP,
please you posted to buy a poly tank, do you know who makes them for an older 16 classic if so post it, if not please try to stay on topic or give the man the answers he is looking for !!! Forrest gave him a tank maker with a link which what this site is all about and well he knows about Florida marine tanks already so all he needed from me was a price check $225.00 is what I paid for mine plus shipping last year,
so please post a mfg that makes a poly tank for an older classic or don't post at all

:angryfire

SICK OF GAS TANK TALK :kaioken:

DonziNUTS
03-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Sorry for stirring up the pot!!! :frown:
ANyway I will give RDS a call....thanks Forrest!

Can't we all just get along over some beers? :beer:

I will post some pictures a little later with the on going project.

Mike

mattyboy
03-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Sorry for stirring up the pot!!! :frown:
ANyway I will give RDS a call....thanks Forrest!

Can't we all just get along over some beers? :beer:

I will post some pictures a little later with the on going project.

Mike

Mike
don't worry or feel bad about stirring the pot:) the point I was trying to make to MOP was to not speculate or cloud the waters or get of topic, you deserved an honest answer, Forrest gave you a link to a site that he deals with and has had a good expierence that's great and well you know about FMT that's what i used and had a good expierence with as well, but what get's me ticked off is to throw into the fray a poly tank is better and just get one from the MFG.If that animal exists with a site gauge and in stock form not custom made that will fit your compartment for 225.00 let's see it
I could not find one that was not custom made and more expensive
I did research on my tank replacement I found FMT do be the best for me, now I don't know if all the compartments are the same size?? I have come to learn Donzi did with what they had on hand at the time, so the bulkheads on my 16 might be different from the bulkheads on yours, due to the size tank they had at the time, the early 16's were either 23 or 25 gallon tanks My 16 had a 25 gallon ABBCO tank and there was no way a 30 gallon tank would have fit in my compartment the old 25 gallon barely fit
and I was not gonna redo bulkheads, if you can go bigger yes i would without changing structural glass work but that's just me, some guys live for that challenge ;)

And yes you might have hit a hot button topic but oh well good luck on your project and if you have any questions on my tank replacement that might help you please ask.

yes I'll have a beer but in an aluminium can ;) :)

would be nice to see some pics

Matty

penbroke
03-04-2004, 08:11 PM
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the topic police... I thought this site was for open discussion and the free exchange of ideas/experience.

It's funny that nobody will give a straight answer on the subject of fuel tanks. I have been researching the subject for several months now as I need to replace my tank and I KNOW that many people here have been down the same road. I KNOW people have done exactly what I need to do yet I am forced to re-invent the entire process. Pulling the deck off and cutting the boat apart to that extent is no small task to those of us that don't do that sort of thing every day.

I have posted here and followed several threads on the subject, all of which went nowhere in the end. I have contacted Donzi Marine, both the companies listed above and several board members. I got answers from it fit in the space but doesn't line up quite right to it might fit but since you have to pay for it in advance we don't really care and my favorite, no call back at all.

On a subject as critical to the safety and reliability of our boats as this is, it seems that we could all benifit from the experience of those who have done it before.

Oh yeah... the original question. I belive the view port in the deck is a Perko part.

Frank

BERTRAM BOY
03-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Frank,
The "sight glass" housing is (was) made by Perko. It is no longer available, and fairly hard to come by. If you need one. my suggestion, is to have one turned out of stainless and polished. Probably not inexpensive, but most likely cheaper that casting one from scratch. If you decide to go this route, let me know, and I'll get you some dimensions.

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

DonziNUTS
03-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys.....sorry for turning up another Fuel tank question. My bulkhead dimensions are 23.5" wide by 40.5" long. The tank is a odd wedge shape! Does anyone have actual dimensions of this tank with the fill location and sender to relation with the viewing glass? Even though I am putting electric sender would be nice to be able to see if corroded!

Thanks again!

Just got back pictures today so I will post soon.....Also painted the top with stripe!! Gotta Love PPG...so nice!

Mike Baiocco

Scott Pearson
03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Mike,
You can get a sending unit that does both. It will work with your sight eye and your electric gauge. I have one in my 18.

(NJ)Scott

penbroke
03-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Mike,
You can get a sending unit that does both. It will work with your sight eye and your electric gauge. I have one in my 18.

(NJ)Scott

That sounds like the best of both worlds. Do you know who makes it?

Frank

MOP
03-05-2004, 11:53 PM
I was not going to post any more on this tank stuff but I got so many emails I decide to tell of what I learned from a tech at Donzi the other morning. It seems that for a few years just before the take over by OMC Donzi did some changes back and forth with the stringer arrangements. This was done not only on the 16 but a few others, Donzi had very good records of what and when. OMC took over ran it for a few years then gave up, the buggers took all of the records. So now the techs can't help with many things they could have in the past. So the boats that were built during the pre OMC years are mysteries in some aspects, many have tapered fuel tank compartments. I have called on several occasions and found them to be really great!
In speaking with two different tank manufacturers they do not believe anyone makes my Favored Poly tanks ( Both reported never of hearing of a failure) So you guys with the boats of that era will need to save the old tank and have it copied. For the few poor souls that inherited boats with no tank and tapered stringers what I have done is to make cardboard mockups and take them to a welder buddy who tacked them together to check before final welding(Yes a few 5 of you guys got this info by mail sorry the last Emial made me do it). The trick with aluminum tanks is good support, securing and good ventilation. Yes I do like to foam the bugger in but not fully meaning fully down the sides and most the way around the end leaving space for air to flow around the tank, as far as bilge tanks they should be bent with a flat along the bottom, this will allow air and also water to flow by. Even with foam tanks I am a firm believer in solid full length support, the support material should be firmly glued to the tank with no glue between the supports and the hull this allows for some motion but protects the tank from damage. As of late I am hooked on using 1" Starboard(figure into your measurements) cut into strips roughened with 50 grit for glue adhesion set into 5200 let to dry thoroughly before install. Once shimmed and fitted in the hull then shoot the foam, just before the foam kicks pull the shims and drop a little foam in the holes. Wood shims if used will hold water and rot the tank, and the biggest and badest thing anyone can do is have "rubber" in contact with aluminum, only very special grades do not contain corrosive properties. Any marine surveyor and old timer has seen tanks ruined buy having rubber in contact with the aluminum.
I have been answering a lot of questions off the board the hell with it like to many have said both privately and on the board lets bring it up here.
A couple of really nice guys have hinted at quitting, I say Screw the dissidents lets try to bring the board back to what it was.
There are many ways to approach any project lets all learn from each other. I am an old fart wrench nearly 40 years on boats and can and do help a lot of guys.
Much more important knowledge is available from some of the best minds I have ever run into on this board. We spend hours on the phone and typing, I also ask them to come back put your priceless knowledge out here for the guys! This now trickle of posts was a busy great place and it can be again!

"MEAN OLD PHIL"

Walt. H.
03-06-2004, 01:21 AM
Well put Phil and I agree with you 100%!!
I've only been around here since Dec, 2002 and i've seen a decline in everything overall . Use to be plenty of camaraderie, assistence and fun here all the time something that I didn't see at other boating sites, thats why I stayed and even met many great fun people last year at the "Spring Dust off" @ Lake George. Now I see more and more competition of wit "i'm here to prove you wrong" Come on guys this place should be a melting pot of good idea's. Check out the "broken sparkplug post" thats the way to do it! Each of those assisting post are all correct straight forward advice and one of those will work to remove it. So there is still hope here. We just have to stop thinking that "only I have and know the best way to do it"! (walk on water syndrome) and eliminate the sarcasm and insults or this place will become just another bitch and gripe line. I use to love this site now I just check in every now and then and post less because when I do I wish I didn't bother, i'm not along with those thoughts either, other's feel the same way!

Ps,I do miss the look of the old classic board. just MHO again.

Enough said, this is my opinion only and it doesn't apply to all here so if the shoe does't fit please don't wear it, and most do not!
I'm sure I miss some point's, sorry but its late and if need be i'll correct, add, or delete later.

Walt

BERTRAM BOY
03-06-2004, 07:55 AM
Phil,
What you've said makes sense, except for one thing. You're supposed to to use neoprene NOT rubber.
These sketches are thanks to Lenny..... He did a great job on them.

MOP
03-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Cliff 100% right, I used to have a list of accepted materials in the shop, neoprene and a couple of other were Ok. There are a few ways to do this stuff so like I said lets get all the ideas out and not bicker anymore. And lets get back to posting how we get over the rough spots in the stuff we take on when working on our boats. I am guilty of being set in my ways that comes with being an Old Fart. But I have admitted learning a lot of very good info here on the boad.

OFF TOPIC!! We have some of the best people in all walks of life rich and poor all with many skills which all can benifit from, so lets do our best to liven up the board. Just before the rebuild of the board I was seaching for some info and could easily see the massive drop off on posts and knowledge put forth measured back about two years ago. I for one and I am sure others will also chime in on LETS DO IT BETTER! LETS RESPECT EACH OTHER!

Those of you holding grudges they are heavy why not drop it an smile!

DonziNUTS
03-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Man, I really done it now!!!
But really guys...thanks for the help. I have learned alot from this site and love to come back and read what is going on! I have been around fast boats and fast cars all my life. (30 yrs.) My father raced with some of the best...from Grumpy Bill Jenkins and the "Mr. Quick" from the seventies. I understand the older generation having set ways (like my father) of doing things! That is why I come here to ask ideas and questions and combine each idea, either old way or new way together to make the best decision.

C'mon guys don't argue on what is better or who knows more! Who cares!!!! If alot of people on this board are like me than they are here to get various opions and make there own decision what is best for their boat!

Thank again everyone for there help!!

mattyboy
03-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Cliff 100% right, I used to have a list of accepted materials in the shop, neoprene and a couple of other were Ok. There are a few ways to do this stuff so like I said lets get all the ideas out and not bicker anymore. And lets get back to posting how we get over the rough spots in the stuff we take on when working on our boats. I am guilty of being set in my ways that comes with being an Old Fart. But I have admitted learning a lot of very good info here on the boad.

OFF TOPIC!! We have some of the best people in all walks of life rich and poor all with many skills which all can benifit from, so lets do our best to liven up the board. Just before the rebuild of the board I was seaching for some info and could easily see the massive drop off on posts and knowledge put forth measured back about two years ago. I for one and I am sure others will also chime in on LETS DO IT BETTER! LETS RESPECT EACH OTHER!

Those of you holding grudges they are heavy why not drop it an smile!

PHIL then let's respect ideas that are not 40 years old!!!!

Matthew

oh and please can we go back to the kinder and gentler time when people just pissed on new ideas

MOP
03-07-2004, 09:32 AM
If you read nothing else refer to the URL's below.

When it comes to the safety in boating I will always be in the fray, I have been factory trained, been to the fire safety seminars, attended Coast Guard safety classes, and yes have changed many tanks! The 40 year old ideas still apply they are tried and proven, safe and regulated by laws.

It has been said that the use of foam is illegal! "NOT TRUE" The statement was taken out of context in a prior post. What we were told in classes it is Illegal to fully encase tanks whether it is foamed in or in a sealed compartment of any type.

They may be foamed in as long as air and drainage passages are provided. This is done by many manufacturers today.

Below is a direct quote you will find in one of the URL's below.

Compounding the problem, some manufacturers use foam to help secure the tanks in place. This method is illegal, of course, because federal regulations strictly prohibit encasing a fuel tank in a way that allows water to collect on or around the tank (33 CFR Part 183, Subpart J, Article 183.552,

The methods of support have not changed just some types of materials!

If you want to do it right please read and apply the methods from the sites below!

http://www.boats.com/content/default_detail.jsp?contentid=1189

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm

http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/fuel_tank.htm

Plain and simple the uninformed HOBBYISTS will end up possibly harming themselves and others if you do not follow standard tried and proven systems of installing and mounting.

To my friends the Moderators we need a safety section with just the factual information that is not refutable. Please lets protect our members! There should be no rivalry when it comes to things that protect all of us!

boxy
03-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Phil, those links are nice, but who are those guys, there are no qualifications posted in any of the 3 articles, and I have a hard time taking serious advice from a guy who compares the amount of gasoline it would take to blow up your boat, to the amount of gin he pours into his martini....

Walt. H.
03-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Phil,

Very good info and advice. But as the expression goes, "you can lead a horse to water but only the thirsty ones will drink". Yeah I know a little twist on that phrase but only the smart ones know a good thing when they see it.
The rest have to be bitten in the A$$ to learn the hard way. :lookaroun

Yours in boating,
Walt :)

harbormaster
03-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Matty,
don't get your panties in a wad. :rolleyes:
This thread was entitled fuel tanks and seems to be staying on topic just fine!!!!

mattyboy
03-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Harbor,
I don't wear panties, I drive a boat with a weenie bar :jestera:

Matty ;)
topic what topic??

doug hess
03-08-2004, 12:19 AM
RDS mentioned by Forrest made many of the original tanksl. The have a print showing the dimensions of the rectangular tanks with tapperd bottoms. Their number is 1-850-584- 6898. I can fax you a copy if needed.