PDA

View Full Version : AirDock Boat Lifts

Grip-it
03-01-2004, 09:50 AM
I am researching AirDock and have found a prior post, although I have some additional questions:
1. How does the Airdock hold up in salt water?
2. Does bottom painting Airdock really work, because the unit is stationary and not being exposed to high rush of water so it can flake?
3. When the boat is on the Airdock can you still wash the hull easily?
4. Does Airdock lift the boat high enough out of the saltwater?
5. How high does the boat have to be out of the water to protect it from the salt elements?

Thanks Guys

Forrest
03-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I looked at AirDock (http://www.airdock.com/) back when I thought the State of Florida was not going to approve my request for an elevator lift. The State subsequently approved the elevator lift and I finally installed it over the last weekend. For me, the air dock had the advantage that it needed no permitting to install and can work in relatively shallow water. I too am on a saltwater canal. Since it's a very flexible product - almost the same stuff a Zodiac rigid inflatable is built of - I really don't think that you would want to paint it. Also, the AirDock won't lift your boat very high out of the water, but it does lift high enough to afford the benefits of keeping the bottom clean and to reduce corrosion on the running gear. Another thing that is neat about the AirDock is that you can deflate it an put it in storage, or relocate it with relative ease. The biggest drawback that I see with the Airdock is that it's tough material can still be punctured causing it to sink along with your boat if the plug is out. All and all, if you can go with a cradle lift or an elevator lift, that would be the best way to go, otherwise the AirDock is something that you should consider.

BUIZILLA
03-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Forrest, now that your new lift is in, how is your tyrant neighbor handling it??

J

sorry for the thread hijack..

MOP
03-01-2004, 04:42 PM
With an AirDock you can not do a neat rick I saw, the guy had his Hyd Hoist floats shrink wrapped and said he removed it each fall leaving it looking near new.
As for flushing the engine most times getting muffs on is a real pain, but you can install a flush kit. If you have a drive pump do it without the check valve to insure the pump gets good water and don't run dry. A shut off valve is a very good idea in case the cap comes off the flush kit while running, they have been know to do that on occasion. Also you do not have to transom mount the flush kit, I have put them in the cockpit for a few guys to avoid climbing all over thier shinney boats.
As far as corrosion if it gets splashed at all you will have some maintenance.

Phil

boatnut
03-01-2004, 07:09 PM
I am not answering your specific question as related to salt water but:
I have an Air Dock that I have used for two+ years now with a 22' Boston
whaler. It works extremely well. It is easier on the boat (like putting it
on a pillow) than most lifts. I can wash the boat and all visable parts of the
bottom with ease. Our warm water lake causes growth and moss on boat bottoms quickly and there hasn't been a problem with growth on the Air Dock itself -- so maybe it would not need painting in salt water. The UV so far has not seemed to effect the product and I use it all year. I think (esp. considering it is priced less than the other options) it is a good product. Ed

Forrest
03-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Forrest, now that your new lift is in, how is your tyrant neighbor handling it??

J

sorry for the thread hijack..

Nothing in my mailbox from his lawyer (yet)!