PDA

View Full Version : powerboat mag

Craig
03-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Had to post this cool cover picture of the old issue of Powerboat Mag. (Mar 1970) that has the 2 performance reports on the 1970 Donzi 18-2+3 and the Cobalt XV-200 (my boat).

Posted the articles before after requesting a copy of the article from PB mag.
They only had one copy left, so figured I'd have to settle for the xerox copies of the articles they sent me.

Thanks again to Lenny who brought my attention to a copy of the issue on e-bay. I won the bid! Paid a little more than the original "60 cents" price, but had to have it.

I think it's the only info on my boat from any mag. , any issue, so I was very pleased to get it.

Thought the cover was cool, and had to post it here to complete the old post, for those who have never seen it.

Also a scan of the inside back cover which was a Donzi 18' ad.

Is that Don at the wheel or just the PB mag. guy?

Also, here's a link to the old post and the 2 articles.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1795&highlight=Cobalt

Enjoy.

Team Jefe
03-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Jim that might very well be your ride.

JimG
03-01-2004, 03:27 PM
It could be! Is that just a cool shot or what??

Craig
03-02-2004, 06:27 AM
Jim, It is cool. Everyone needs a shot of their own boat like that (nice angle)for their office wall. Shots from helicopters are cool, but expensive. I have never had a lot of opportunities to get pics of my boat while running taken from another boat. Usually it's just me and the wife and kids alone. Gotta come to one of these "events" some time and lend someone my camera for a few shots.

I do think the guy driving, in the 18' shot is just the PB mag. guy cause he's got the same striped jacket as the guy in the 2 articles. I guess it's just another shot of the Donzi 18' from the article's photo shoot.

Still, it does, at that distance, look a little like Don A.

Fish boy
03-02-2004, 08:18 AM
very cool to find history like this, especially if it is your own boat.

Poweboat continues to represent- this month has:

1. On the cover- 9 rerasons to get wet: Dana, Donzi, Ebtide...
2. Inside cover two page layout of the ZR (has a staple in her belly button)
3. Page 5 full page by mercury racing featuring their motor in guess what- a donzi race boat #193. I looked but could not find a volvo or OMC ad using a donzi LOL

Anyway, wonder who will be posting 30 years from now about a March 2004 powerboat magazine that features their classic ZR in the ad? ;)

Fish

Craig
03-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Along those lines, and this is not to re-open the fading Volvo/Mercruiser debate, but while it does seem that Merc is usually the racing machine of choice, I have seen some mighty mean looking newer Volvo's even a few years back in their literature. I gotta find that picture. As I recall, stock, one high performance duo-prop model had 400 or 500 hp (for some reason 540 hp sticks in my mind - that's gotta be wrong). Anyway, also big chrome pipes (exhaust manifolds) of some kind. I'll find the pic and info. before I say more. :checkered

JimG
03-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Seeing that cover sure brings back memories... In 1970 my dad was racing tunnel hull outboards , and was a subscriber to Powerboats. It was mostly black and white then. I was 10 years old and read EVERY line of those old mags. My hero's were Jimbo McConnell, Dick Sherrer, Bob Nordskog and of course, my dad...I sure wish I still had that old stack of magazines!

Craig
03-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Yeah Jim, this one is completely black and white (except for the inside and outside of the front and back covers).

I was looking at the cover art (cartoonish, but still pretty neat).

I think it's an artist rendition of a combined Donzi and Cobalt hybrid (i.e. it's not completely either one).

1) The Donzi in the article is yellow (like the cover art) evidenced by the other colored Donzi 18' pic. The Cobalt is said (in the article) to be orange.
2) But the Cobalt has the stripe high up (also like the cover art)
3) By the angle of the boat, it looks like the artist actually looked at the black and white inset of the Class of 1970 photo (shown above).
4) But then, the grab rail at the front (in the cover art) seems to be curving (like a 16) and not turning down into the deck (like an 18).
5)There's a little light house in the cover art (see horizon). It looks like thers is a similar one in the Donzi pic on page 30 (see also horizon p.30 in old post - just behind the driver's head).
6) Lastly, look at the little white square under the V at the stern (in the cover art). and the triangular shadow (same place). That, again, looks like the b&w inset pic. Look at the same place on it closely. But wait, the shape of the spray under the boat looks more like the Cobalt pic. (p.27 in old post)...

I think the artist's effort was to show the 2 boats detailed in one picture. Incidentally, there are no others boats covered in the issue, so that would make sense. The rest of the book is a bunch of articles on skiing and racing.

Kinda cool.

Oh, found that nasty (in a good way) looking Volvo pic. I was close, but actually under on the HP; it's 560 hp !! The DPK600.

Pretty schweet!

Craig
03-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Forgot to mention the price on that Volvo drive/engine package (above).

Right around $49,000.00 Whoa!

Of course, even though... ...I'll admit it, I like the Volvo's... the site where I found this (again from a more recent issue of Powerboat Magazine) was comparing it to a racing Mercruiser set up that was a whopping 900 horsepower and cost about $127,000.00. Yikes!!

Here's the link: http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2001features/aug2.php

THE ABOVE LINK IS A NEAT READ WORTH CLICKING ON!