PDA

View Full Version : Question about trailers

CrackerJack
02-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know what type of trailer connector is used in other countries?
Would it be like the simple one we use, that is a flat 4 style for trailers
without brakes?

mphatc
03-01-2004, 06:33 AM
My only experience is on German cars, they use a totally different system. Similar in concept to our 7 pin set up with barkes . .Everything in Germany has to be TUV approved . much stricter than the DOT!

MPHATC

Mr X
03-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Jack,
have a safe trip to pick up the new toy. :kyle:

rickrsbro
03-01-2004, 08:38 AM
i have heard up to 13 pins on some of the german boards. it would pay to do a little research.

i know some grounds are pulled back to the computer for cruise control and light diagnostics. ie if a brake lamp is burnt, the cruise won't work.

mphatc
03-01-2004, 07:14 PM
There are conversion kits available to connect flat fours to Euro cars, we use them frequently to connect small track tire trailers to BMW M3's.

No problems with cruise . . but I don't suggest using cruise with a trailer . . especially if it's an automatic trans . . . just my .02 cents worth.

mphatc

rickrsbro
03-02-2004, 07:26 AM
the little black boxes work great to get the blinker/brakes separated. 20 bucks at most rv places. some stock towing plugs are 7, 9 or 13 pin. my truck is blessed with both the round and flat plug connector, but the trailer harness is always to short.

if you have a multiple pin plug on the tow vehicle, this is the three pointed star schedule....

1.) Left Turn is Black with a White Stripe.
2.) Right Turn is Black with a Green Stripe.
3.) Fog Light is Yellow.
4.) Parking/Marker Lights (2 wires) are:
a.) Grey with a Red Stripe for the right side.
b.) Grey with a Black Stripe for the left side.
5.) Back-Up Light is Grey with a Yellow Stripe.
6.) Brake Light is Black with a Red Stripe.
7.) Battery Positive is Red with a Black Stripe.
8.) Ground is always Brown. There should be 3 of them:
a.) The 0.75mm wire is ground for the ParkTronic Switch.
b.) The 1.0mm wire is ground for the lights.
c.) The 2.5mm wire is ground for the Battery Power

mphatc, i agree about not using the cruise, but even the wrong wattage brake light bulb will throw off the computer in some systems. just some food for thought if the tow vehicle system is spliced.

BUIZILLA
03-02-2004, 07:43 AM
but even the wrong wattage brake light bulb will throw off the computer in some systems. just some food for thought if the tow vehicle system is spliced.I am still going through hell with my new Touareg and the trailer wiring issues. It has been at the dealer for the last 2 weeks AGAIN. This is the third visit for this... The car freaks out when I use a trailer with LED lamps, or one with extra clearance lights on the fenders. I had mixed brand bulbs on the Minx trailer and the car ECU sensed it being different current load left to right and went into default, so I changed ALL the bulbs to GE and that trailer is now okay... The car seems to HATE the new LED light trailer however. VW better fix it soon...

J