PDA

View Full Version : Need Blackhawk input!

MOP
02-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Like all BH owners am haveing no luck finding wheels, I did however find out that B3's can be machined to fit. Does anyone know what needs to be done?

Mr X
02-29-2004, 07:34 PM
MOP,
yes they can be machined to fit, but it defeats the concept of the Black Hawk drive being a surface piercing drive. Bravo 3 props are definatly not surface piercing props.

Woodsy
02-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Mop,

You may not have to machine the wheels, I never got around to trying it, but it looked to me like the B3 retainer nut could be interchanged with the BH retainer nut. The problem you have is that the inner prop will not slide all the way down the propshaft. All you need to do is have the inner B3 prop machined to slip over the BH retaining nut.

I think the B3 wheels will work ok, not as good as the BH wheels, but adequate given BH wheels are getting hard to find and pricey. They are much amaller in diameter, and not designed to be surface peircing. Are you changing the x dim? Your going to be doing alot of experimenting with the B3 wheels. I think a set of 26P's is probably a good starting point.

Woodsy Von Outboard

Greg Maier
02-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Call Hoss Props in Oklahoma. They produced the original BH Props when the BH Drive was in research and development. I talked to Dave Bostic at Hoss, and he told me that they could make several different diameters and pitches of BH Props. The only downside is that they cost $2400 a set.

MOP
02-29-2004, 11:29 PM
I will be finding out the hard way, picked up 28" B3's at a real good number. I am mounting the drive at the alpha X, that turns the drive into a 6" shorty, puts the gear case top level with the botton Quasi sufacing. A bit of engine work to turn the wheels, I am looking for fast cruise not top end. No doubt BH wheels will make it a fair bit faster. My thinking was it should do a little better than an S/S and be more reliable with the juiced SB. I am watching my buget a bit, between the boat, a trailer, a suburban to tow it and quite a bit of the usual extras, you can guess how deep I am in. Bonnie is looking over my shoulder wondering where I am dumping bucks.

MOP

Rootsy
03-01-2004, 07:09 AM
like we talked about phil, getting the cruise speed is easy as it is a function of prop pitch, slip and cruise rpm.. but you have to be able to pull em to peak hp or things are gonna get ugly eventually...