PDA

View Full Version : what do you use to clean your boat

GarDog
02-26-2004, 06:19 PM
What do you guys use to clean your boats. Also what brand wax do you use?

Ranman
02-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Soap and water. :hyper: :hyper:

Seroiusly though, I like to use one of the "Car wash" soaps if it's really bad. Between washes I like to use a spray hull cleaner like Star-Brite. For wax, 3M Marine all the way baby. Infact, I try to buy 3M professional products for everything (cars, trucks, boat). I only use a marine wax on the boat as gelcoat and fiberglass is a tad different than clearcoat and steel.

Also, if it's any consolation, I am a buyer for the Automotive companies and was at one time responsible for purchasing items the big three call "paint shop supplies". These are products, like rubbing compounds, sanding discs, and waxes are used by the manufacturers to correct any "issues" in a car's paint once it leaves the booth. Cars with "issues" (about 4 out of 10 of them at the time believe it or not) would be worked in an area called the "finesse deck". The ONLY products used in this area as far as compounds and waxes are concerned are those by 3M. IMO, if 3M is what the manufacturers use on a brand new car, then 3M is good enough for me. One other thing you'll notice about 3M's products is that they look out of place on the shelf next to the other stuff. They don't really market the stuff so there's no shiney cars, fancy names or fluff on the bottles, they're all business.

Fish boy
02-26-2004, 07:59 PM
It depends on what needs cleaning. Do you have stains? grease? rust? water stains?... Whatever it is, I am sure someone has found a great product or home remedy that will clean it and will gladly post an answer.

There is also another thread right now in the performance section that addresses gelcoat stains gelcoat cleaning thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33527) that may be of some help as well.

Fish

Rootsy
02-26-2004, 08:06 PM
i have used 3M marine paste wax for a couple of years... last fall i went ot the collinite super paste fleet wax... i am gonna give it a try.. i put it on my 93 ranger after rubbing it out and man it still BEADS now in february and i did that last june... just don't step on the deck with wet feet...

3M is great stuff.. but still the UV kills my red stripe if the boat is left out and it doesn't last a LOOOONG time... it lasts but not as long as i like but longer than any other wax i had used previously...

Root - in search of THE best

MOP
02-26-2004, 08:17 PM
All liquid! Blood, Sweat, Tears and last but not least Mcguires wheel cleaner the trailer boaters dream(Thanks again Scot)! Wax man I have tried a bunch, Colinite aircraft and marine, Mcguires, silicone, raw carnuba and a couple of 3Ms they all do well for me. I don't get the cover off enough for an honest opinion, the best ideas should come from our Southern Boys they get the most Sun and seat time.

Phil

BillR
02-27-2004, 07:34 AM
For washing, I use whatever boat wash soap that I have on hand. But after my experience with Frenzy Wax, I plan to try theirs.

Here is a post I made on S***wake and OSO. Their members are really raving about this stuff.

A friend and OSO/Speedwake member; SuperHawaii40 has been telling me about a wax that he used to finally make his 14 year old boat sparkle. I saw his Super Hawaii in person, and was suprised at the shine. He told me he was using Frenzy wax. I had never heard of it, nor could I find it at West Marine or any of the marine stores I visit. Well, It was out of mind, until I saw it in Powerboat magazine. I ordered a small bottle.

This stuff works great!! I used it on my transom, which is the area I avoid cause it is a pain in the arse to do. I did everything back there, drives, K-Planes, exhaust and steering. My K-Planes looked like there was some kind of oxidation on them. I had tried other waxes/cleaners, but nothing made them really shine. In fact I thought that was the way they were supposed to work. After using this Frenzy wax, they shine like new paint!!
The best part is, this stuff comes off 100% easier than ANYTHING I used. It is more like dusting the boat instead of wiping wax. You can flick the towel at the boat and the wax comes right off!! I did the side of my 34' boat. It took me no more than 2 to 3 minutes to wipe off the Frenzy wax.

I highly recommend this to everyone. It works as advertised. I also think most racers on the boards are familiar with it. Looks like Frenzy wax is a sponsor or something of the SBI.

http://hammerheadboatworks.com/waxing_frenzy_.html

Oh, SuperHawaii40 has had problems with his hull bottom turning yellow from sitting over the weekend in the water. He said this wax has made that problem about 75% less.

I plan to order some more of their products and check them out.