PDA

View Full Version : Stone project, advice requested if you have any.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-26-2004, 03:06 PM
We plan to lay some flag stone back of the pool in the river rock for White cedar benches and one long white concrete bench under an arbor.
Nancy has this idea of building two stand up tables, like a mini bar table area and the use river rock to finish the exterior. :rolleyes:

I am thinking once built, I could use some liquid nails to attach the rock to the pressure treated wood, then grout the rocks with a grout bag.

Thoughts? Excuses? To help me escape this phase of her idea?
Thus far I have lost this issue debating her....
Bryan

MOP
02-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Brian one of my kids used Macco AHE93312TN for the same job, he is in constuction and his mason recomended it, seems to be good so far two seasons. He had the stone drying in his house for a week before the install.

Phil

ToonaFish
02-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else have visions of the Flintstone's Bedrock tables? :biggrin:

Bunches,

Celene 'buttermilk grows a lovely moss on flagstone=the extent of my knowledge'

Ed Donnelly
02-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Bryan, I strongly suggest you stay away from this project.
We are now in the area of my expertise.
The chemicals from the pressure treated wood will leech onto the flagstone,thereby etching the flagstone.
Since the Rockwell Hardness scale on this particular stone, is so low, it will defragment the layers. I have several photos I can submit if so desired.
Your only option would be to use Crenso 2000 subfracture, at $75. per lb.
This will eliminate all leeching. If you E-mail me the exact diamentions I can calculate your cost. I would guess, looking at the area around the pool, that it would be under $7,500 in Crenso 2000. It would last a lifetime.
Feel free to contact me at any time. It would be my pleasure to assist you any way I can. I just finished at job for a customer with a similar concept,but we used Italian Granite, no wood, no stone. It looks fabulous, and was a touch under $20,000 Canadian. That would be less than $16,000 U.S.
Something to consider EH??? ....Ed

MOP
02-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Brian are you talking about river rock the grainy flecked stuff or the flag stone on the bar? I have to agree with Ed any of the layered stone seem to split off thier layers, I have it set in concrete and wish I did'nt. I am thinking of chipping it out and having the surface capped wiht a colored pattern.

boxy
02-26-2004, 07:17 PM
I think Bryan want's to make some "rock" tables, not cover his decking material with glued on stone, but I could be wrong...

pmreed
02-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Try a simulated stone product. There are a ton out there that are light, easy to install, and durable. Run a google search and you'll see. here are a couple of resources. GenStone (http://www.genstoneproducts.com/?affiliateid=2003062122) and Simulated Stone Directory (http://www.building.org/texis/db/bix/+4wwrmwtEe3mww/community.html)

Phil

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Here is the plan, in one area, use 4x4 PT posts to build a mini bar, top will be PT wood also. To finish I would like to cover the wood with river rock stones, most are just bigger than a golf ball smaller than a hard ball. This is for decorative purposes only.
So How do I make the stones stick to the verticles before grouting.

Sorry if I was not clear... Ed, shoot me your phone # PM and I will sure appreciate any advice or answers to my questions.
Thanks everyone, I really do need some advice, and this is the forum.....

(Nancy is sleeping, NorEaster here and the fag Landscapers come tomorrow like on TV. Must be part of their degree requirement, not that I am bias etc....) Coffeee is not always an option I guess, some like sweet tea!
Oh, survivor tonight! Minus one confused man!.Tea drinker, or was that TEA BAGGER, in the forehead!

MOP
02-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Poodle you Da Man, that Flex-c-ment sure looks like a great product!

To answer Brian's vertical question, the bar was tacked together to insure everything fit then pulled apart. The panels were laid flat stone and grout applied, when cured the panels were screwed to the frame from behind with a few small short S/S screws. Glue was applied on the frame and corners grouted. So far so good, it has been moved twice with great effort. MP's stuff sounds a bunch better, less work and no worry's. I did take a look at the kids bar since the thread started did notice a problem, he should have elevated it slightly. From sitting on the off and on wet concrete the bottom edges are showing staining of the wood and a little on the grout, we will get something under it to allow air flow.

BUIZILLA
02-27-2004, 08:37 AM
I just did my entire patio 2 months ago, over top of mud laid chattahoochie, using a company called Sundek. Sprayed on. Came out awesome.

check them out.

J :wink: