PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Prices are going to High!

Walt. H.
02-25-2004, 11:24 PM
This E-mail was sent to me yesterday 2/24/04 and may have merit, could it work?

Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Philip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt"
ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.97 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here! 's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to, at least, ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician.

But I am .. So trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK

MOP
02-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Gone out to my mailing list! Thanks Walt :smileybo: :alligator

ToonaFish
02-26-2004, 04:53 AM
May I recommend a very interesting website?

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm

Please start checking things out on www.Snopes.com BEFORE you post them.

pmreed
02-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Just buy your gas at the cheapest, local station. You save and send the same message. Competition and the open market rule.

Phil

Walt. H.
02-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Just buy your gas at the cheapest, local station. You save and send the same message. Competition and the open market rule.

Phil
Good Grief Charlie Brown! I never expected this kind of flack.
You must own your own business.

In the Northeast portion of this country there isn't any compitition! All the station are mostly owned by the same "middle eastern familys" and the prices are fixed at the same rate. There was fuel price compitition years ago when the gas station we're owned by guy's named "Al- tony -Tom -Andy-Joe - Jim etc, and they also did major auto repairs not sell groceries. Now there owned by Muhammed and Abdulla's and they just stare at you and don't answer when you say good morning as you enter to pay.

You don't need snope .com to figure that out for yourself! Sorry to bother, I was only passing this idea note on like so many others do here with other like info. Or are you profiting income from these oil companies? Most here are not and there salaries haven't kept up with inflation passed on to them by other businesses do to their fuel cost increase! Salary employees don't have this luxury of increasing their income when the need hits them!

W.H. talk about killing the messenger, ummm?

Ps, you can go back and argue about tire brands and the best way to remove barnacles. I guess that more important! :bonk:

RedDog
02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Man has it been a long winter or what - I even have the white stuff out my window today, the kids are out school due to the snowy conditions, and they wonder why I keep running them out of my (their) office while I try to work (and post on the DonziNet)

Remember, Spring is getting close...

pmreed
02-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Sorry about that Walt. Here in Orlando, gas prices for each grade can vary by $.20 per gallon in a one mile stretch of road. I just filled the Lexus today with 93 octane at a local Costco for $1.649/gal. A good street price for regular here is in the $1.50s. Guess the gas prices are another benefit of living large here in the Sunshine state. :wavey:

Phil

Walt. H.
02-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Ok thanks for your response PMREED.

That's a big difference then here in NY, Currently as of last night gas prices we're $1.77.9 for 87 octane & $1.99.9 for 93 octane Mobil brand.
$ .02 -.03 less for other major brands and no name gas on the average.

I drive a 2001 4X4 Dodge truck w/340 engine 44 miles each day just to work and back home and average 11.3 to 11.7 mpg. Thats a killer when you consider what gas cost two years ago and i'm like most working Americans, I haven't had a pay raise since then (past 2 yr's) but my family health coverage cost has increased and inflation has also limited my spending ability. So at the present cost of fuel if it wasn't winter here my boat budget would be very slim if it goes any higher the boat will have to remain high and dry. :banghead: That pi$$es me off considering I worked two years restoring it and neglected everything else around me! :splat:
Don't take this as sarcasm. But when you referred that you filled the "Lexus" up with 93 octane and not just say "I fill my car or truck", that tells me your in a better financial income status then most and good for you i'm sure you worked and deserve it. Now I understand why $2.00 or $3.00 per gal is no big deal to you, so please realize that for those that have less it is a big hurt when 26 gallons cost over $51.00 per week in fuel cost alone.

Hopeing for a fuel cost cap like the wage cap we have,

Running on fumes,Walt. :tongue: :yes: :wavey:

Steve Harwood-Stamper
03-09-2004, 02:57 PM
So... I did smile...and things did get worse!

UK Fuel prices

http://www.marinefuel.info/

60 gallons an hour... W.O.T. :smash:

Walt. H.
05-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Two months later, i'm saying I told you so!!

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040512073709990001

Now What? :banghead:

Mowing the lawn instead of the waves! :splat: :bonk:

Walt :wavey:

Lenny
05-13-2004, 08:40 AM
We are at 96.9 cents a litre now here. Multiply that by 4.55 and you arrive at $4.41 CAN an Imperial gallon. $3.14 US a gallon. No wonder none of my stuff "runs" :rolleyes:

gcarter
05-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Don't forget everyone;
Everything goes in cycles.
Going back, 1982 (I think) prices adjusted for inflation equals $2.95/ gallon, and there was no war going on (that I remember) and we got through that. Enentually prices bend to market pressures, foreign economies fail, OPEC members get greedy, etc.

George

Walt. H.
05-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Touch'e !!

We agree Lenny, :beer:

Sorry to say: I'm choosing food, beer and A/C in my house instead of giving my extra money to the "fuel Mongers" for boat fuel this year. :splat: PRIORITIES SUCK! :yes: :banghead:

Walt, :wavey:

Rootsy
05-13-2004, 09:21 AM
won't work... in michigan we only have 1 or 2 refineries and that is where ALL of the fuel comes from.. the small stations with various names buy from the same refineries... so in essence.. whomever owns the refinery is the one making the dough no matter what the name on the station sign is... but then again.. each station sets their own price but getting them to admit it is like pulling teeth from a lion...

we currently sit at just under 2.10 for 87 this week... 40 cents of that price is tax from the state and fed...

i say we just burn corn... :smash: then maybe the american farmer can prosper for once...

JR - who needs dinosaurs when you have corn :D

BUIZILLA
05-13-2004, 09:29 AM
A PowerStroke on soybean oil is lookin' better every day...

JH

mattyboy
05-13-2004, 09:36 AM
I saw an news piece on a woman in CT who coverted her mercedes to run on old deep fryer oil??? it was like a 4k conversion but now she runs to a local burger joint and takes their old oil home dumps itin a big filter tank then fills up and goes???? the burger joints love it less cost to recycle oil and she gets fuel for free!!!
now when your tunning the carb
instead of rich and lean it is fat and lean!! :eek: ;)

Matty

BUIZILLA
05-13-2004, 09:51 AM
We have a customer that owns a small Greenpeace style restaurant in North Miami that has a 1989 6.2 Suburban. She has run it on fryer oil for 15 years and 140,000 miles. She strains it before she puts it in the tank, then hopes for the best. It eats up injection pumps every 50,000 miles, but her fuel cost is ZERO, since she has to pay to have the waste fryer oil taken away anyways....
As far as she is concerned, she's helping the environment, and herself.

J

gcarter
05-13-2004, 10:00 AM
i say we just burn corn... :smash: then maybe the american farmer can prosper for once...

JR - who needs dinosaurs when you have corn :D
Yeah Jamie, I like biofuels...takes a lot of of alcohol though (it seems I remember it's a tad shy of BTU's.
Another problem in MI (if I remember correctly) it's one of those areas the EPA ,or somebody, has designated using "boutique" fuels, so there CAN'T be any competition. That needs to change.
But there are huge areas of unrecovered reserves in the lower 48 that groups say will not be used, all kinds of stupid things.
This country needs an "atitude" adjustment about energy, and exploration. I believe we could be independent or nearly so.

George

Rootsy
05-13-2004, 10:11 AM
ethanol not methanol g... currently we have "oxygenated" fuels in michigan mandated by law.. a 10% mixture in order to "help" the environment. when this occured prices really began to climb here...

i've run corn in my truck a few times when i was in Iowa... 90ish octane.. ran very well and i picked up fuel milage also... bad part of the whole deal is that you MUST have a motor ready to run on the stuff.. ie proper seal materials, etc.. cause it'll eat rubber and such... apparently there is a gas station here in Battle Creek that has a pump of ethanol.. i have yet to drive by to see if it is still there or not...

I've seen it run in a 99 silverado 5.3L LS1 also on the way back from iowa and believe it or not we averaged 21 mpg calculated... don't ask i don't understand it... i'm only an ME... not one of those Einstein, head in the clouds, Chem Eng's ive known a few of...

but there is nothing to keep the corn fuel prices low either.. if gas is going for 2 bucks a gallon... then what is to keep the corn from going for 1.90?

http://www.mocorn.org/ethanol.htm

gcarter
05-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Jamie, after I posted, I went to take a shower to go into my office, and I was thinking I wish I had included some of the things you said because it's all true. We do need the farmers and their corn, cooking oil, diesel, the whole gamut.
I remember in the 70's Pres Carter had this program going on in Colorado recovering oil from shale. It's time hadn't come then, someday it might. Canada has oil trapped in sand. I believe it's all on the surface. processing sand, like shale, is a bitch though.

George

Darrell
05-13-2004, 10:52 AM
I would like to see more renewable fuels and cars that could run a greater percentage that 10%, as for the price of corn and other crops going up, I guess I would just as soon see farmers get higher prices than than the oil companies and OPEC. (of course I come from a farm family)

As for changes I might make:

1) Drive our car more and the 3/4 truck less. (too many times we drive the truck when the car would be just fine.)

2) More tie-up time at the lake :beer: , and just a little less cruising.

3) Mow the grass a little less this year. (well that's more of a issue of being lazy than fuel savings)

I think we are seeing a spike in prices and after the summer the market will force the price down. As for me making a big change not just yet, but does Overton's or Bart's have a sail that can be fitted to the ZX if gas hits $4.00. :biggrin.:

Darrell

TuxedoPk
05-13-2004, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=! All the station are mostly owned by the same "middle eastern familys" ... and they also did major auto repairs not sell groceries. Now there owned by Muhammed and Abdulla's .."
QUOTE]

I'd be laughing my ass off if what you were saying weren't so true. Did you notice how they became the number 1 place to buy American flags once we started the bombing?

If Bin Laden is really so anti-capitalism, perhaps recalling 3000 gas station attendents might have been the way to go!

MOP
05-13-2004, 07:54 PM
I know what Jamie is talking about, who gets supplied by who! I live about 10 miles from the largest fuel depot in the northeast, a friend works the racks that fuel the trucks that deliver. I asked what companies fuel there he laughed, said every single one. They all use the same gas, basically two grades, some octane booster and alcohol. I asked what about the different claims about content ETC, Said it was pretty much BS. The only one that is different is Amoco but according to him not that much. Gas is one thing you do not get what you pay for.

Phil

txtaz
05-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Hey all,
Since I get a majority of my income from the oil industry, it doesn't mean I have to agree with their tactics to control the oil market. They have big expenses and even bigger income. I just finished doing the programming for the world's largest offshore oil platform. (I have pics if interested) But as hinted before, it is supply and demand. If we use less then prices go lower. The only factored not accounted for is OPEC controlls the supply. So if demand goes low, then they lower production to keep prices high. I would love to have a business model like that. I don't think I would implement it, I like my integrity. So choosing to not buy at Exxon/Mobile, Shell, Technip Coplexip, BP etc would not have any effect. Their cash reserves are so deep they don't bother to ask about a several hundred thousand dollar computer program. When they can build a billion dollar offshore oil platform, the loss of a 100 million or so doen't matter much to them. The ones who get hurt are the employess of that company. You know the ones with children and medical insurance. Since I finished my project for the BP/Shell Holstein project (look for it on Discovery), they have laid off 3,500 people world wide because the bidding and awards for new projects starts in June. They laid these people off 6 weeks before new bids were awarded. But they save money. 6 weeks of salary and medical insurance. Big deal. What they are really after is to get rid of people with time. It means more vacation, more 401k payments, more matching and more bonus payments.
I've been there, seen that and left before they got to me.
OK, I'm off my soapbox.
If you really want to change the way things work, change the system that controls it.
Wes

roadtrip se
05-13-2004, 10:12 PM
After owning several twin engine boats that didn't go much quicker than the 22 and ate twice as much fuel doing it, I feel like I have GOT an economy performance boat.

The first couple of times we filled up our Classic after getting it, Jill and I both wondered why it wouldn't take any more fuel.
The Fountain always ate a hundred gallons or more every time it saw a gas stop! Now that tab will take a dent out of the old wallet, doesn't matter what gas prices are.

We have some of the best handling, fast accelerating, economy performance boats on the water today. Those of you who own twin engine Donzis probably have some thing to whine about, trust me the rest of you don't!

Now get out on the water, enjoy that high dollar petro, break something, and THEN you'll have something to complain about!

Todd
"Burner of gas and I don't give a damm what it cost!"

ChromeGorilla
05-14-2004, 05:14 AM
All things considered I was tossin around boat name ideas with the wife and this thred inspired one.......

Gas Pains :yes:

mattyboy
05-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Really,
I say! I just had Miles gas up the Maybach on the way to the airport to get on the Citation10 for my annual trip to Capistrano .
I have never been so outraged I think I might just have to buy a refinery :yes:

Elmer J Fudd Millionaire
I own a masion and a yacht :tongue:

I say
screw the lawn, the ac, the house, it's summer time,
out on the Donzi now matter what!!!
Hey Todd I'm taking your advice on everything but the breaking of something I'm not going there :)

Matty

Scott Heidt
05-14-2004, 01:18 PM
You Think A Gallon Of Gas Is Expensive?
------------------------------------

Makes one think, and puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 . . . . . $10.32 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 . . . . . $9.52 per gallon
Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 . . . . . $10.17 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 . . . . . $10.00 per gallon
Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 . . . . . $33.60 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 . . . . . $178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 . . . . . $123.20 per gallon
Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 . . . . . $25.42 per gallon
Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 . . . . . $84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER......
Evian water 9 oz for $1.49 . . . . . $21.19 per gallon
$21.19 FOR WATER!....and the buyers don't even know the source.

Black printer ink 1.42 oz $29.97 . . . . . $2,701.32 per gallon
Insulin 0.34 oz $25.00 . . . . . $9,411.76 per gallon
Chanel No. 5 1 oz $200.00 . . . . . $25,600.00 per gallon
Scorpion venom 0.0067 oz $2,034.00 . . . . . $38,858,507.46 per gallon

Thank GOD my car and DONZI doesn't run on Scorpion Venom! HA! :shocking:

Have a great WEEKEND!

Morgan's Cloud
05-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Currently is $5.33 US Gal or $6.26 Imp. Gal .
(that's US $ incidentally)

Would'nt ya just love to pay them prices.

Has'nt been under $5 a gal here for over 10 years... you gotta make a lotta sacrifices to run a boat in this place !

s

Formula Jr
05-16-2004, 05:11 AM
I think I'm going to start me a Scorpion farm and milk those doggies!