PDA

View Full Version : attention Ford diesel owners

Digger
02-25-2004, 05:22 PM
I may have mentioned this before but just in case I didn't, you jus gotta have

TheDieselStop.com

bookmarked. With a little patience and searching, you WILL find any topic you need info on. Some of the guys who post are extremely dedicated to helping out and they post procedures with pictures and clear explanations of commonly performed maintenance items on these engines. I've saved hundreds, if not thousands of bucks by referring to this site.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming

anotherScott
02-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Good man Digger, I will check it out. Got a strange thing that just started with my truck. The "water in fuel" light comes on while making right hand turns. thanks, Scott

BUIZILLA
02-25-2004, 07:23 PM
that's because there IS water in the tank... :bawling:

J :shades:

anotherScott
02-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Hey Jim, Do you have a diesel truck? If so, what additive do you use to "dry" this situation up? And don't tell me to make only left hand turns :wink:

Scott

BUIZILLA
02-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Not only do I have a Ford PS... but I own a diesel fuel injection and turbo lab... been in the business for about 30+ years, owned this place for 23 years... www.dpii.com
there is NO such *agent* to dry up water on the market, you remove the tank(s), drain it, change the sender pickup socks and refill. There is no other way around it.

BUIZILLA
02-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Oh great Big Dog... :cool: the sender in the Ford FILTER won't recognize water, just on right turns ;) if there is water in the FILTER, no matter which way you turn, the light stays ON until it is serviced. No blinky action there. The sender on the Ford tank sock is usually aimed towards the front, or maybe drivers side of the tank, so when the truck turns right, the crap sloshes in that direction to the left, then the light goes OUT when the truck straightens out, or until the crap level gets such that your in deep doo-doo, at which point the light glows ALL the time.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-26-2004, 02:48 PM
I have an 01 PSD.
My "water in fuel" light first came on after I climbed a hill at the high school and parked on an incline.
Manual says turn motor off, open pitcock, let it drain, then replace filter.
Ford charges about $50.
I get my at NAPA cheaper.
Once the filter is changed the light will go off. Or at least mine does.
Bryan

anotherScott
02-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Jim, Am I lucky or what? As I recall....after I led you to the recent purchase of your Criterion, you said to me "I owe you one Scott". Well......what better person to help me with my truck, than someone who is in the diesel business! Let me know what time to pick you up at the airport Sat. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Jim, Poodle, and Bryan thanks for the help. I gotta fess up that I don't change the fuel filter with oil changes, but that will change now. Next, I will try to narrow it down and see if it is only one tank that might be contaminated with the dreaded H2O. Oil change and fuel filter this weekend.

Doing donuts (to the Right) out front as the neighbors watch.

Scott

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-26-2004, 09:44 PM
ANOTHERSCOTT, I did not change mine often either, (OK, first time was a bunch of miles) -- our pal Mad Poodle helped educate me on this matter, now every 5K no matter what, AND I CARRY A SPARE.
Poor Poodle, he gets the strangest calls from me. Who better than to trust and ask about any moving part OR part that won't move.....
:shocking:

I know better now. Fuel Filters, pricey, but big picture in the life of that motor, no biggie. I am hoping for at least 300K miles from my Ford.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Poodle, it would be hard for your wife not to love you, based on personality!
Now I know why Nancy keeps me around.... (she may debate this point!)
I thought the cell phone call pressed up against your soon to be new boat transom was even funnier, as she fired and the water splashed my uniform and my cell phone....
Let alone towing it with no trailer lights, in the fog and rain, on bad tires, oh, and NO TAGS!
Life is just too good......
Bryan

Back to the Ford topic. GREAT SITE DIGGER..... No chip for me!

anotherScott
03-04-2004, 04:00 PM
HOUSTON, we are not showing any "water in fuel", we are ready for boat towing!!

Thanks for the guidance guys. Jim, I am sure your way of dropping the tanks is the proper way, but maybe it was a small amount of water that was causing my problem. Hope so, no light on this week.

There should be a law against putting 16 quarts of oil in a motor :biggrin:

Scott

now have a spare fuel filter in the truck

Cuda
03-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Mine comes on once in a while in my 02 PS. It never stays on more than a minute. Filter or tank?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Filter Bowl, do a quick drain as a temp fix. (not in your driveway!)
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Just re-read the thread, BEWARE, the fuel system is pressurized. See Diesel Manual that came with truck.
The dealer will drop the tank, flush lines, put in 15 gallons of fuel for roughly $300 bucks.
I would recommend doing it right the first time if you are convinced this is the issue.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Bryan

Hey MP, my drain tab is yellow!