PDA

View Full Version : Engine Alignment OMC Cobra

SouthernExposure
02-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Good afternoon,

I'm looking for some information on how to align my new V-8 engine with my 1989 OMC Cobra outdrive. Is a special tool needed to do this? What is the correct procedure? Should it be done by a marine tech.? I would like to finally get this boat in the water this spring.

Thanks to all.

Tony
SE

BUIZILLA
02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Call this place...they did my Cobra overhaul and install, excellent job

ask for Zeke..

Phil's Motor Repair 772.287.2653

Jim

RickR
02-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Southern
Merc tool will work on OMC

Yes a special tool is required available from NAPA or you can make one from a marine drive shaft.

With engine level with stringers, I adjust UP till I feel resistance, count turns DOWN till I feel resistance, then final adjustment to just above half way between.

MOP
02-25-2004, 07:05 PM
The tool for OMC is the best, the Merc to is a tiny bit smaller in diameter. A smooth good fitting end gives the proper readings, the tip of the tool should be lightly coated with grease. When inserted it should go in smoothly and easily, by looking at the pattern left in the grease from the hub splines you get a very good indication of which way to go. You may also in some cases find the engine off slightly side to side, many are not set properly on the mounts to begin with just dropped on the mounts. Like most things there is a right and wrong way. I can go into that if anyone needs!

Phil