PDA

View Full Version : Not a fun Tuesday.

McGary911
02-25-2004, 11:39 AM
I took the day off yesterday to drive my old man to Newark airport and put him on a plane to Iraq. He's only 57 or so, and 2 years ago retired as the police chief of Pt Pleasant Bch, NJ. Guess he got bored, because he is going over there for a year to help train the Iraqi police force. Great timing, just as attacks on the police are stepping up, huh?
Actually he goes to Virgina for 10 days, then Ft Bliss, TX for 10 days for orientation\training, then to Baghdad from TX.
He and I are pretty close...(try to) have dinner\beers about once a week. I'm gonna miss him, and am more than a little worried about his safety. I'm not all that religious, but managed a little prayer-like thing for his safety. This will probably take a bit of wind out of my sails (hp from my 502?) this year......Anyone that has a spare prayer\good thought\xtra charma to throw his way, I'd appreciate it.

He did mention that when he gets back, he wants another ride on the Criterion tho. :wink:

ToonaFish
02-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Prayers being said, fingers being crossed... you tell him that we are all proud of him and the sacrifices that he is making!

Bunches,

Celene "does he have a name, or will the big guy know McGary's Dad by reputation?"

Fish boy
02-25-2004, 03:51 PM
I understand your concern and I am sure you are very proud of him for helping to make the world a safer place. We should all be thankful for people like your father. If you get a chance, post his first name and I will include him in my prayers.

Fish

Doug G
02-25-2004, 04:05 PM
We will keep your dad in our thoughts everyday

Doug & Jerry

McGary911
02-25-2004, 04:31 PM
If you get a chance, post his first name and I will include him in my prayers.

Fish

Dad's a John McGary just like me.

Thanks guys (and girls)...

Digger
02-25-2004, 04:38 PM
There is a man who typifies what makes this country the most kick ass place on earth. Someone who is willing to take part in something which has a just and noble cause, at significant personal risk, in an effort to help others understand what freedom is all about... I salute your Dad and wish him, you, and your family all the best.

MOP
02-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Having 3 family and a few friends over there I guess we all hold our breath during the news. Should have finished off Iraq in 91, good chance we may not have been in the soup we are in now. It is a shame we did not start kicking ass sooner. Prayers and thoughts of your dad will be in my house also!

Phil

Ed Donnelly
02-25-2004, 06:58 PM
My kids are putting in a good word for your dad every night at bed time until he returns...Ed

McGary911
03-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Looks like one of the local rags did a write up on my dad. I thought that was pretty cool. http://theoceanstar.com/02.27.04/iraq.html ......surprised he didn't tell me about it?? I'm surprised he even did the interview....really hates reporters.

gcarter
03-01-2004, 07:54 PM
People are "Called" to be public servants. I know I couldn't do it. Being a business owner, I have occasionally needed the services of the local police force and I'm allways overwhelmed at the enthusiasem in which they approach their duties. What would we ever do without the dedicated men who serve the public like Mr. McGary. Now he has the oportunity to share with the emerging Iraqi police force how to be an asset to the public, not a tool to be used against the populace. I believe your dad feels he has a mission to share his experience and knowledge. I will be praying for his safety.

George