PDA

View Full Version : I Bet That Hurt

Walt. H.
02-25-2004, 12:33 AM
I seen this photo posted in Hot Boats and it reminded me of the story about the two guys that planted the same thing across the rail road tracks at night just before the Metro North came and made many mini fountains out of it!

Ouch!!!!!!! :eek!: :frown:

Donzigo
02-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Seems that naming your boat after Medical type things just ain't healthy.

That Fountain is named TRIPLE BYE PASS.

Here's another one called TEMPORARY INSANITY, go figure

Walt. H.
02-25-2004, 12:49 AM
Your right about names!

Sure caused another Heart Attack.

I remember when I was a kid working at a local marina we had just finished prepping a customers new boat when with-in 4 hr's out that same day he hit the Howard Beach bridge in Queens, NY.> Bow first. O"yeah! The boats name was "NuckleHead" need I say any more? :wavey:

Ps, From the looks of the bow of the above post I thought it was a "Fountain"

MOP
02-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Ok I finally checked you Avatar! Looks like a heart attack in the making, you and I are to antique for that stuff :wink:

Walt. H.
02-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah Phil, maybe?

But I'm not going to go quietly old,
We're old enough to know better but still young enough not to give a $h-t!! :beer: :odie:

Listen to this video if it plays here?
AOL Music: Jimmy Buffett: Jimmy Buffett, 'Lice...

Fish boy
02-26-2004, 07:47 PM
the first 65ft donzi that had an enclosed bridge (I think it was hull 6 or 7 but not sure) was called the Concrete Machine. Pier 66 in Ft lauderdale has very sturdy concrete docks. Concrete machine met concrete dock while trying to pull into a slip there. Did not sink, but she had a hole just smaller than the hole in the owners wallet after that little mishap.

Fish

gcarter
02-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Back in '72, one Saturday morning, I watched a 48' Alden schooner once owned by FDR (Amberjack) fall off the marine railway in Clear Lake TX after the blocking slipped. It fell vertically about 10' on its port side and the hull was crushed. Instant write off.

George

BUIZILLA
02-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Didn't on of those Z65's sink off the eastern seaboard way out there on a trip from So FLA to the New York area a few years back? Brand new boat? maiden voyage? very wealthy big name NY owner? I remember reading that it went down so fast, the crew barely had time to inflate the raft and get off.

J

gcarter
02-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Jim, I think I remember that incident. I believe it was that New York car dealer that built a series of high speed large yachts (80 knots or so). I think he had a thing for high H.P. German diesels (3500 H.P. or there abouts. He had a pair installed in this boat and it was on its way to N. Y. and sank. Pretty fishy at the time.

George

Fish boy
02-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Didn't on of those Z65's sink off the eastern seaboard way out there on a trip from So FLA to the New York area a few years back? Brand new boat? maiden voyage? very wealthy big name NY owner? I remember reading that it went down so fast, the crew barely had time to inflate the raft and get off.

yes, it was John Staluppi's boat. Drawing a blank on the name but it will come to me. Sort of an unusual paint scheme with a gloss black transome and a lot of etched glass. I beleive it also had MTU's in it rather than the detroits. My understanding is that he was disappointed because it ended up not being quite as fast as he had hoped it would have been with the extra$$$ spent on the engines.

Insurance company tried to go after him believing that there was some shenanigans involved. I do not beleive they were ever able to make anything stick. Only met him once, but he is definitely a colorful character.

Fish

PS not maiden voyage, it was in a tournament I was working in the bahamas, and I think it cruised the islands for at least a little while before returning to Fla and then eventually towards NJ