PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Retaining Grommets

farmer tx
02-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Help! I have been looking for these and can't find any. The pic shows two different styles. One ( on the left) is all metal. The one on the right is a rubber grommet with a nylon finishing washer. These are used to secure the windshield to the hull on 85' & 86' model 22 classics with the full plexiglass windshields. If anyone knows of a source please let me know.
Thanks,
Mark

Donzigo
02-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Try calling Marine Surplus in Tellevast, Florida.

BUIZILLA
02-25-2004, 08:48 AM
My Minx has the EXACT same setup. I need ONE assembly for sure, but extra's wouldn't be a problem either...

J

MOP
02-25-2004, 12:00 PM
My local supplier put me onto a whole sale supplier, I am waiting for a call back. Price will be very low compared to my guy at 69 per over the counter my cost 47 each only in grey. There fit 3/8 which is what is in my 86 22 windshiled they will take up to a #12 screw, use finsish washers on top.These will work for our stuff. Let me know if interested and how many.

Phil

Tried to post photo got ERROR ON PAGE! :(
Tried to figure out the picture gallery NG :(
So I dupmed my wiggly babe avatar! :mad:

farmer tx
02-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Mop I saw the other post and really appreciate the effort. That sounds like what I am looking for. See if you can come up with some finishing washers thet will accept a #10 or #12 oval head screw. I looked everywhere. The John Deere house had the exact same grommet but it was made out of hard plastic, and the screw socket wasn't beveled. Let me know.

Mark

redsky@door.net

MOP
02-25-2004, 10:20 PM
Some will not agree but you can go two ways with screws, most all go with counter sunk wave washers and Phillips screws nice and neat usually cover grommet pretty nice. Another way I have tried and looks nice also is flat polished S/S washers and round head slot screws, I line all the slots horizontal. I have seen 10/32 S/S mirror polished bolts used, that looked tough as hell. You should be able to find any S/S washers in most marine stores. I and a few of the guys can get them at cost if you have a problem :yes:

Phil

Walt. H.
02-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Farmer,

I would use the rubber well nuts, they are rubber grommets with machine screw threads they swell when tightened and are available in various diameters. From 8/32 to 1/4 20's and black plastic/nylon finishing washers with countersink s/s phillip head screws. You may find them in some hardware stores and of course I also have gotten them from West Marine. www.westmarine.com.

Best regards,

Walt :wavey:

farmer tx
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Walt, Could I drill the treads out of the base of the wellnut so a screw would pass through and into the hull to secure the plexiglass?

Mark

MOP
02-26-2004, 11:32 AM
I will have the plain rubber ones the same as my 22 in about a week, they are listed in For sale section.

Phil

MOP
02-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Walt the well nut ones are fine if the holes are ruined, you have to drill the hull to use them. We are screwing back into the fiberglass with #10 or may have to go to #12 screws so the plain gromets will be fine for us. I got the info straight now and have 500 coming in a few days, check my post 4 Sale Section.

Phil