PDA

View Full Version : Hard water stains on outdrive

Verdugo
02-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Good Afternoon!! All

I hope I can get some suggestions. I have a 16 classic with an Alpha One out drive. The out drive has very stubborn calium deposit on it. I have tried to remove the hardwater depost with CLR (Claium Lime Rust) remove with no luck. Has anyone any knowlage of any good product to do this job. I would appreciate any suggestions. I tried to post a picture attachment but I think it was to large.

Thanks

Lowenski

gold-n-rod
02-23-2004, 04:19 PM
I agree. Vinegar is da bomb! Put some in a spray bottle and keep the towel saturated. Eventually, they'll be gone!!

goldnrod

Ranman
02-23-2004, 04:29 PM
I know it has been debated somewhat as to whether or not a drive shower "really" works. I firmly believe in it's effectivness regarding cooling a drives internals. Even if you don't buy the "cooling" factor, a drive shower is worth every penny in that it will keep the friggin calcium deposits away. I've been around that tree and I will recommend a shower to anyone.

www.driveshowers.com

Well cooled...

gcarter
02-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Everyone that said vinegar or some other acid based product is 100% correct. Water treatment is what I do for a living.

George Carter
Has anyone else noticed how slowly the server is operating today?

Verdugo
02-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey Guys Thanks alot for the valuable information! Viniger it is. Oh I did not know the value of a drive shower. Taking all this into consideration I will look into getting one. Is the drive shower something which one can easely install? how about cost??

Thanks for all your ideas

Lowenski

gcarter
02-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Don't know the quality, but someone's been selling them on eBay for $60.00.

George

Ranman
02-23-2004, 05:03 PM
If you buy directly from Simrek (my shower of choice), a Summit unit (for Alpha) will run you $120 and some shipping. Installation is pretty darn easy. The only nervous part is drilling your cavitation plate, but it's no big deal really. Here's a shot of my Bravo with a Summit installed. Notice the absence of white chaulky powder.

Summit Shower (330K pic) (http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8015J697/water5.jpg)

Sam
02-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Verdugo, the drive showers are a breeze to install, 1/2 hour tops.

Sam

Verdugo
02-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Ranman THANKS!! I also noticed the web paged you posted previously.

Thanks again

Lowenski

RedDog
02-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Randy - nice picture. Does the drive shower it interfere with using the cavitation plate as a step for climbing out of the water?

gcarter
02-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Beautiful boat Randy, and great installation!
Now I've read the Simrek web page and their discription of their water pickup design, it looks logical. But I've ordered one of the $60.00 ones on eBay and I'll let you know how it works (it looks just like a Simrek, except it's not clear if the water pickup is the same as Simrek)

George