PDA

View Full Version : 22 ZX Guys I need help

GarDog
02-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Took My 1997 22 ZX out for the first time today and I need a few questions answered. I have never owned a Donzi and I dont know what the handling traits are supposed to be. First I noticed once on plain the boat would pull hard to the left if you let the wheel go. This never happened with any other boats I have had. If you hold the wheel it tracks just a true as ever. At slower speeds it dosent pull either. The next issue is porpusing (sp?). on a high speed run as I trim up to get to higher speed it starts to hop fairly bad but not to bad. Is this normal for a ZX? All of my experience is with bow riders that were much heavier. It just feels a little squirly to me. Also is there anything else I need to know specific to the ZX with a 454 and a mirage 24 p prop?

Thanks for the help!

GarDog

Shanghied Again
02-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Theres your first problem, get rid of the the 24 Mirage isn't that a 3 blade? The 22ZX doesn't like 3 blade props Do you have Hydraulic assist or standard steering. The 22 runs well with a Bravo 1 prop see if someone has a 24 pitch you can try.. How far are you trimming the boat out (Drive Trim) and whats your top speed at what RPM?

RedlineFever56
02-22-2004, 08:34 PM
If a 1997 is a step hull, It requires very little trim. This is especially true on flat water. Too much trim will actually slow the boat down and cause the boat to bounce up and down. If it's a step hull, also keep the drive out on fast turns or you will hook this boat up very easily.
Ken

GarDog
02-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Theres your first problem, get rid of the the 24 Mirage isn't that a 3 blade? The 22ZX doesn't like 3 blade props Do you have Hydraulic assist or standard steering. The 22 runs well with a Bravo 1 prop see if someone has a 24 pitch you can try.. How far are you trimming the boat out (Drive Trim) and whats your top speed at what RPM?

The Prop is a blade and the origional owner says that it is what came on the boat. I have the stndard steering. I dont have a GPS to confirm any speed all I have is the speed-o in the dash for now. I am running 68 mph on the speed-o at about 4800 RPM. The hopping occors at about half way between all the way up and all the way down.

Thanks
Gardog

GarDog
02-22-2004, 08:44 PM
If a 1997 is a step hull, It requires very little trim. This is especially true on flat water. Too much trim will actually slow the boat down and cause the boat to bounce up and down. If it's a step hull, also keep the drive out on fast turns or you will hook this boat up very easily.
Ken

Ken,

How do I tell if it is a stepped hull? WHat do I look for?

Thanks
Gardog

RedlineFever56
02-22-2004, 08:49 PM
This is a step hull. {if the picture posted]

GarDog
02-22-2004, 09:00 PM
This is a step hull. {if the picture posted]

Not a step hull. Must be plain Jane then.

GarDog

Donzi22zx
02-22-2004, 09:03 PM
The 1997 Donzi 22ZX is a nonstep boat stepped hull on that model came out in 1998. There is no such thing as a 24p mirage prop, it is a 23p mirage, or mirage plus, That prop will work well for a nonstepped 22ZX, you will get higher speeds then with a 24p Bravo, and be as controlable as a stepped hull with a 24p Bravo 4blade prop. As for the handling of the boat, drive it for awhile, you cant learn everything about your boat after one run, the 22ZX handles very well, when you learn how to drive it. 68mph on your speedo is about 64-65mph on GPS.

GarDog
02-22-2004, 09:16 PM
The 1997 Donzi 22ZX is a nonstep boat stepped hull on that model came out in 1998. There is no such thing as a 24p mirage prop, it is a 23p mirage, or mirage plus, That prop will work well for a nonstepped 22ZX, you will get higher speeds then with a 24p Bravo, and be as controlable as a stepped hull with a 24p Bravo 4blade prop. As for the handling of the boat, drive it for awhile, you cant learn everything about your boat after one run, the 22ZX handles very well, when you learn how to drive it. 68mph on your speedo is about 64-65mph on GPS.

I know that I have a lot to learn about the boat. Since you have made so many mods to your ZX what do you say made the most difference and what would you stay away from. Also explain Labbing a prop to me. THanks for the help

GarDog

Donzi22zx
02-22-2004, 09:31 PM
The mods that helped the most, good question, none of them did all that much, I just get bored and by parts for a boat I hardly get to use and I always seem to be selling. The best thing to do for speed is prop the boat right, labbing is a process in which a tech thins, and shapes the blades on your prop to trus specs, like blueprinting a engine, it will give you around 300 extra RPMs. The exhaust is a good mod because merc manifolds leak and rust and weigh alot, after markert exhaust will take off 75lbs and give about 15hp, and 100rpm, but they cost alot. The ECM must be reprogramed when adding aftermarket exhaust on late model engines, the computer does not learn, it must be programed or it will run rich and you will get black transome.

Shanghied Again
02-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Anytime you replace a 3 blade prop with a 4 blade prop it will change the run of the boat, Like any big bodied boat the 22ZX will have the attendacy to porpose with a 3 blade prop.
The 1997 22ZX does not handle the same way as your 22ZX with a step bottom, but can be controled by switching to a 4 blade prop, you will loose a little off the top.
I tested many 22ZXs stepped and not stepped.
The classic runs very well with a Mirage prop (Lower Hull) Remember they didn't make many 97s without the step before Donzi introduced the boat with a the step in 1998. I would still borrow a 4 blade and try it.

cneidhart
06-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to the board, not to boating. I have the same 97 22zx (nonstep). Wanting to go faster then the stock 7.4. I have installed a Procharger and a lot of other goodies on her and she is just flat squirrely:eek: . I am using a 26 Bravo 1 (4b) and at about 68+ (on fresh water) she is chine walking. I've tryed most every combination of trim, no trim, etc.
Now in perfect water, they all run good and stable, but most of the time I have a cross wake. I've read most every tread and I know I'm duplicating this question. But has anyone made any great discovery?
I'm having thoughts of trying anything! I had hopes of having a 80 mph boat on perfect water and a semi safe 65 mph boat.