PDA

View Full Version : Bertram Boy needs help!

MOP
02-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Need good Merc info, is there a way to easily change a gimble on an Alpha to accept a Gent II drive? A new Gen II drive has been found, can Cliff without taking the whole back end apart adapt it to his Alpha transom shield!!

Rootsy
02-21-2004, 04:46 PM
AHA!

i knew my retro would come in handy... i believe through my research taht it can be done... the mounting and gasket pattern ARE THE SAME... you WILL NOT have remote lube bottle setup. you WILL have to put the lower shift shaft from a GEN II transom assy on it.

the trim rams will need to be replaced with GEN II. OR the GEN II's standoffs on the driveshaft housing are going to have to be shortened 1.5 inches on each side... when i put the SS on i had to make 1.5 inch spacers.. the thru-rods are the same at 5/8 inch. this is going to be easier eventhough it sickens me to cut on a perfectly good GEN II... i don't know exactly what is different on the gimble ring where the rams mount...

on the gimble ring we must check one more thing. the ears that control lateral movement of the drive and bellhousing. on the GEN II and my SS (with the wear pads) it is 4 inches inside to inside. need to check it on the GEN I and make sure the ears will fit around the drive.

the input shaft length, etc is the same.

hell you don't even have to go machining the bellhousing! you lucky dog... check to make sure there is a bushing in the bottom of the bellhousing where the shft shaft passes through so that it is supported... this is why i have issues with my SS shifting.. when imachined i lost all the C-Bore for the bushing.. so i epoxied.. did not hold.. now i am reengineering... to REV B :rolleyes:

i will try to get some photos and stuff to circle things and point out tonight or tomorrow...

Root

MOP
02-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Damn Jamie you are not only my "Motor Head Hero" you may now become my "Black Magic Hero"

MOP

BERTRAM BOY
02-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks Rootsy. That helps alot.......

Scott Pearson
02-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Holy crap Rootsy...your scaring me! You da man! :lookaroun

(NJ)Scott