PDA

View Full Version : Winter Games

ToonaFish
02-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Oh wise Northern Dwellers, I bow before your superior knowledge of all things frosty...

I am taking my two Tommy Bahama clad nephews to Park City, Utah mid-March for their spring break. It will be their first snow experience and I am woefully unprepared. (Why couldn't they have asked for a trip to the Keys, instead?) Need suggestions on what 'must haves' to buy for clothing their thin skinned Floridian selves (Toona's too) and any recommendations on local sites. (Any clue on sizing for Internet shopping?) Also, none of us ski or snowboard; how many, if any, lessons should we take?

We have travel and lodging covered, just afraid that we'll get there, see the snow and then hunker down as Jack Frost bites our buns. :stan:

As always, thanks.

Bunches,

Aunt Toona 'the cast will be off in time for KY'

Jack Frost
02-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Oh this warms my cold and frosty heart!
Utah is great winter fun.
as far as skiing and snow boarding, lessons are a great start 2 to 3 will probably be enough for a good start and remember go easy
Skiing is easier to pick up on and snowboarding is not as easy as it looks turning and stopping can be a challenge on a snowboard, those kids make it look easy
do's
get fitted for boots and skis when you get there any decent slope will have every thing you need nothing worst then boots that hurt or skis that don't suit ability!

warm clothes in layers outermost being waterproof especially for snowboarding your butt will get wet
gloves to keep the hands if you get cold you won't enjoy it
and sunblock and sunglasses the sun on the snow can be blinding

don't's
black diamond runs
half pipe
mougels
and don't cross your tips

you'll have a great time!!!!

Jack

Marlin275
02-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Jack where you going this spring?
Alaska?
Circle of Artic? :wavey:
New AKA handle?

ToonaFish
02-21-2004, 12:25 PM
get fitted for boots and skis when you get there any decent slope will have every thing you need

Visions of renting bowling shoes, shudder. Does Lysol freeze?

Bunches,

Celene 'and I never cross my tips except as a personal favor'

Brad Lyon
02-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Toona, the most important thing to remember in the cold is one word, layers! Dress in several layers when going out into the cold.

Brad

Ed Donnelly
02-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Don't forget to always carry a full flask. Warms the innards.....Ed

Lenny
02-22-2004, 02:52 AM
Toona, boarding is twice as fun as skiing, I have done both, a TON, and nothing compares to the board. You will NEED a 1/2 day lesson on a board and its' characteristics, the nuances etc, it is a BLAST. The boys will pick it up QUICKLY if they can water ski (slalom) or skateboard. You, are "another story". Just don't be afraid, rent wrist guards for everyone involved. Helmets, although silly looking, are a must boarding. You wipe out different than in skiing. I have never had a helmet on, and this year was a FIRST and is now a MUST HAVE. They look cool if you are a kid and are not stuck in our outdated stigma and they will stop you from "forgetting" why you are laying in the snow... :rolleyes:

For a one-two day blast in the mountains and 2 boys I would be boarding. The only person it will be hard on is YOU :D

Remember wrist guards and a helmet. Probably a 152cm board, with "easy" boot angle on the bindings...( That means about 15 degrees off of 90 degrees to the board.)

YOU WILL HAVE FUN AND THEY WILL NEVER FORGET IT !!! :)

AND rememeber, you can't water ski at 5 miles per hour so don't try to snowboard at that speed. You NEED forward momentum to get your balance and rythyme... ENJOY !!!

Also, when they ask, you will probably want to be left foot forward on the board. If you are right handed but this is NOT a given as the board doesn't give a s h i t which end is forward...There is no "BOW".

Prepare your "abbs" when it is time to get up from a fall.

Sam
02-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Tuna, I come from the other camp (Skier) and have been to Park City many times. Get them a few lessons with their package, this will give them the basics and allow them to have some fun. Make sure they wear sun block and have eye protection. More than likely you will be skiing or boarding close to the base so it will be a little warmer there.
As for which resort to go to I like Deer Valey, the only thing there is that they do not allow snow boards ( sorry Lenny). Deer valey is a high end resort that will sevice you from the time you pull up until you leave. Park City itself is great, lot's of good food at all prices. Give me a shout if you want more info.

Have Fun
Sam

Rootsy
02-22-2004, 11:04 AM
coming from someone who spends A LOT of time in the great white (and very cold) outdoors... layering is of utmost importants... especially since you will be physically exerting yourself. getting sweated up and then stopping for a while will chill you in a hurry.

i've spent many years trying to discover the best... i've coem to love the militaries ecws stuff... (polartec for us civilan folk)... fleece rocks, is warm, isn't bulky and you can get it in different weights right up to pure wind stopping power. i generally begin with a pair of insulated undies that match what i am gonna be doing for the day (moving, sitting, running, etc)... then add a fleece over top and then a coat of appropriate weight... as well as pants... if it is REALLY REALLY cold i'll use an intermediate latyer of fleece on the legs...

same goes for the feet... a poly or poly/blend sock against the foot followed by a wool blend sock outter... the poly wil suck moisture away into the outer sock and help keep your feet warmer by keeping them dryer.

it really works.. i can sit my happy arse in the northern michigan woods on a zero degree day in the wind and not move for 8 hours... and i have REAL issues keeping feet and fingers warm...

happy skiiing...

ROOT- ahh the drunken college skiiing days...

boxy
02-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Toona, you've got mail...

MadDog that vid clip is scheweeet....

Toona remember to "borrow" a couple of cafeteria trays for some late night sliding.....

Rootsy
02-22-2004, 12:42 PM
oh lord that brings back some nightmares Poodle... thanks a lot...

Root - but we used mattresses :yes: