PDA

View Full Version : Rub rail installation ?

kjly63
02-20-2004, 06:55 AM
:banghead: Any advice on the best way in install new aluminum rub rail ? Puttin it on a 72 Cigarette 19 ft. The back of the boat has an arch to it; the old one went across the back 6 ft and then up both sides 3 ft each side.

Kenny

MOP
02-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Railing bends nicely to conform to curves and bends corners well, it is really good to have a helper to hold and help position. Prior prep is also important, some like to use the old holes "IF" they line up. I do not, I counter sink the old holes and put screws in with silicone. I also run a bead around the whole hull to deck seam. I drill all new holes, when istalling the new screws each one is coated with silicone. Yeah you will add 3-4lbs to the boat but will have a very solid leak free install.

Scott Heidt
02-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Hey I just recently installed aluminum rub rail on my 81' Hornet II. It isn't really that bad. The trick is to take the time to lay out where the sections will begin and terminate and minimize short sections of rail. I don't know what type of rail you are installing, but it shouldn't be hard to make the bends as you go. I installed a "J" style rail.

The rail I assume should be predrilled. However,you might need to drill a few holes near the end of a rail sections that you had to cut. So be prepared for that. Also, ahead of time make sure to check that the predrilled holes in the rail don't conflict with the existing screws that connect the deck to the hull. If you run into that condition, you could back out the existing screw, lay down the rail and use the existing hole.

I hope this helps. I had never done a rub rail before when I attempted this project and with a little fore thought everything went fine.

:cards:

mattyboy
02-20-2004, 10:10 AM
I don't know nothin about rubrail,
now bar rails I know, nice one at the bull finch and a great brass one at Judge Crater's 93 and 2nd!! :spit: ;) hehehehiccup!
need a good helper was that some kinda shot there or what???
me thinks I've just been insulted :rolleyes: :tongue:
Matty

kjly63
02-20-2004, 12:00 PM
:beer: Het Matty, you want thro a couple back and put the rail on this weekend?

Kenny

mattyboy
02-20-2004, 12:20 PM
sure why not! no power tools not while i'm under the influence ;)

i call ya later

Matty