PDA

View Full Version : No Classics at the Grand Rapids, Michigan show either

gold-n-rod
02-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Evidently, Michigan's only Donzi dealer, Hi-performance Boats of Grand Rapids, Michigan does not feel compelled to display the Classic line.

Usually, he has an '18 for us to drool over at GR, but not this year. And, as the Madcows will tell you, nothing at Detroit either.

Evidently, the Classics they get in, new or used, fly right back out of there, so there's no need to drum up more business than they can handle.

Plus, who'd want a Classic out for the masses to drool over anyway???

goldnrod

Trueser
02-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Chicago had none also. No donzi's at all.

harbormasterextra
02-20-2004, 12:03 AM
At least you had a Donzi dealer at your show. They need to rename the Houston boat show "The Center console fishing boat/camper show" Its embarrassing!!

We Have No Donzi Dealer to speak of in the Houston area as of yet. There is someone who says they are bit they are really fishing boat folks.

roadtrip se
02-20-2004, 04:37 PM
And I was thinking about calling the Grand Rapids dealer to see if he might want to get involved in the MADCOW. Anybody actually meet this person and ask him why he chose to not show any Classics? We can always just hope he was sold out...

Todd
"Owner of a 22 Classic, the best selling Donzi in 2003!"

gold-n-rod
02-20-2004, 04:49 PM
He seems like a straight up kind of guy......... for a horse trader!!

His name is Rick Collett and he's been a Donzi dealer for a very long time. He was with them during the Genth years. Claims to have sold Sweet 16 #3 (as a used boat).

He may not have had one in stock, he talked about having a 22' on order and how fast the used 18's fly out of his stock. He had an '04 22' that's already gone. Sheesh!

I couldn't tell if he was an enthusiast or just a businessman, but I'm sure he'd appreciate the gesture.

goldnrod

PS: The phone number on his card is: 616.453.6383

tamburello
02-20-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm gonna swing by the dealership while I'm in the area next week. We'll see what's up with this place.

- Jeff

gold-n-rod
02-20-2004, 05:34 PM
You'll probably be greeted by Rick's wife. I think she runs the showroom.

They have a used Blackhawk there, the only Classic in stock, I think. The have a verrrry nice Z26.

To repeat myself, don't expect a big reaction from the about the Classics. I don't think they try to drum up business, rather they let the business seek them out. Last spring when I was there, they gave me a brochure that was a couple yeara old. Shrug!!

goldnrod

N2DEEP
02-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Rick Colletts' bussiness card from 1978,[ DONZI CIGARETTE SANGER ]was attached to my '78 18 2+3 papers when I purchased it last fall.

gold-n-rod
02-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Rick Colletts' bussiness card from 1978,[ DONZI CIGARETTE SANGER ]was attached to my '78 18 2+3 papers when I purchased it last fall.

That is very cool!! No Cigs or Sangers anymore. Not even Checkmate any more, just Donzi and Larson.

He mentioned that he's got a '78 there now..... in beige and blue!!! I remember when that combo on a boat was way cool!!!!

goldnrod

donzii22
02-21-2004, 10:48 AM
i know this boat the 1978 its my buddys , brand new 350 in it and new custom trailer ,the motor has less then 1 hour on .

McGary911
02-21-2004, 11:17 AM
None at the AC show either. They did have a 22 the year before, but not this year. They did have a 33zx there tho......damn that thing was sweet....i was juggling some numbers in my head for a second, but then i just got another beer and talked myself down.....maybe some day ;)

Tony
02-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Rick Collett is a good guy, I've talked to him several times over the years at the boat show and several times at his dealership. He knows Donzis well, and has a certain setup that he prefers and orders his 18's with. Yes, kind of a "horse-trader, salesman" type, but hey, that is his profession!

At all other previous shows he has displayed an 18, and one year there was a 22, so it surprises me that he has no classics there this year. I guess that makes up my mind, I was gonna buzz over there this weekend but I suppose not now.

Barry Phillips
02-21-2004, 03:00 PM
All I know is I count my blessings. I purchased my red on white 02 496Mag, 375 hp 22 Classic with its custom matching Eagle trailer for about 14k under list. I made the deal and purchased the boat site on seen over the internet with one hour on the clock. I traded in my 1998-250hp Bravo 1 equipped 18 for medium retail. The dealer had it sold to a very happy buyer in Boston, with in 2 months, everyone was walked away happy. Plus the financing was great. The 340-mile tow to and from North East PA was well worth the trip, I love the boat. Best of all it came equipped with the stainless WS.

fullpower
02-26-2004, 01:00 PM
I have loved boating since I was a young boy, I purchased my first boat when I was 16 with money I earned as a dishwasher.

After college I decided to follow my passion for boating and open a dealership. I boat I loved the most was 18 Classic Donzi. To become a Donzi Dealer I had to purchase 5 boats. I sold everything I owned and my sole to the bank.

The first 5 boats I sold were: 3 18 Classics, 1 Hornet, 1 21 GT.

However I have to sell what the market wants. For the past 4 years I have shown a Classic at the boat show, this year we make the choice to show a 26ZX which has been a good selling model for me being so close to Lake Michigan.

We will continue to stock the Classics as we have done for years. For those of you who want to see a Classice (new & used) our showroom is less than 10 minutes from the boat show, please stop by. Those of you to far away..we offer free delivery!!

Rick
President
Hi-Performance Boats, Inc.
www.hiperformanceboats.net

Tony
02-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Rick,

Welcome to the board! There is quite a strong Michigan presence here, and to my knowledge you are the only Donzi dealer in our state. (The one in Irish Hills is gone, there is none in the Detroit area, and I think I remember hearing of one in the Houghton area.) Give some thought to attending our MADCOW event this summer...check the "Events & Gatherings section for the details.

Tony Sporer

Barry Phillips
02-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Welcome Fullpower, your in stock 22 is a pretty piece, I like the red interior, if I had the choice I would have ordered the red seats and the HO motor. My trailer is identical. Eagle makes a nice unit, well braced and easy to use. I purchased my 02 from The Boat Store in NE PA. Gregory told me that the Classic series Donzis were a tougher sell on the Great Lakes than the 26ZX , but I boat in the Lake George area of NY State and my 22 works just fine on a lake that size. I sought out a pre 03 boat because I just can't get passed the frameless windshield. On the Eagle trailer the fenders and steps are more tucked in than the Performance trailer that was under my 18, so I fined myself using the aft end of the windshield frame as a handhold. I think I would have broken the new windshield by now. I wish Donzi would rethink it and source a new vendor, ChrisCraft offers an SS windshield as an option on there new Corsa line and ChrisCraft builds less boats a year than Donzi, so I do not buy the low build build volume excuse. I am 51 years old and I have loved Classic Donzis since I was 14, my only regret is I waited so long to buy one.