PDA

View Full Version : Engine-hatch mirror

FISHIN SUCKS
02-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know of a good source for replacing the mirror on the underside of the sun-pad/engine hatch. For whatever reason, my mirror/chrome like material is peeling off (looks nasty!). Help would be much appreciated.

Trueser
02-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Same Problem, I pulled mine off.

MOP
02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
I have gotten it for my clients from my local house window glass guy he keeps some in stock 1/8 plasic mirror.

Phil

Donzigo
02-19-2004, 06:11 PM
You can call any good wholesale plastic supply house and they should be able to get it for you. Here's one in Clearwater,Florida that I have used for years. Get ready for "sticker shock", this stuff ain't cheap..................and, you will have to buy an entire sheet, last time I checked. :yes:

Farco Plastics
Clearwater, Florida
727-572-7722

Cuda
02-19-2004, 07:42 PM
You can call any good wholesale plastic supply house and they should be able to get it for you. Here's one in Clearwater,Florida that I have used for years. Get ready for "sticker shock", this stuff ain't cheap..................and, you will have to buy an entire sheet, last time I checked. :yes:

Farco Plastics
Clearwater, Florida
727-572-7722

How much was it from Farco? I buy my plexiglass there.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanx to all for the feedback. When I go to replace this mirrored sheet (mine looks to be an 1/8" sheet), does anyone have any idea how long this is supposed to last? My Blackwidow is a '91, bought it exactly 2 years ago, and was peeling when I bought it. Is there any material to stay away from?

MOP
02-19-2004, 09:35 PM
How about polished stainless, I have seen that quite a bit on boats out by me. Should not be to bad cost wise.

Phil

Donzigo
02-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Cuda, last time I checked it was $160 for a 5 x 10 sheet.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Okay, so I go to this glass shop here in town. They got this 1/8" x 4' x 8' sheet of acrylic w/the silver mirror paint on the back for $136. I tell the guy what I am doing, he says the moisture and the heat combined will probably ruin the silver on the sheet. Furthermore, the acrylic sheet is prone to cracking if I screw it in, and a bonding agent will ruin the silver. He tells me I should go to this window tinting shop and try the mirrored film tint on my existing sheet. Is this guy full of it or is he on to something? Help is much appreciated here!

Ed Donnelly
02-20-2004, 09:16 PM
If you buy a sheet of film mirrored mylar $10.00 and place it behind a sheet of clear plexiglass, it will do the same job,BUT,the inside of the engine hatch has to be SMOOTH any little dimples will cause a scratch on the mylar

I ran the mirrored plexy on the Criterion, and the heat from the turbos warped the plexy, but didn't mar the mirror effect at all. Grizz was the one that noticed the warpage......Ed

gcarter
02-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Okay, so I go to this glass shop here in town. They got this 1/8" x 4' x 8' sheet of acrylic w/the silver mirror paint on the back for $136. I tell the guy what I am doing, he says the moisture and the heat combined will probably ruin the silver on the sheet. Furthermore, the acrylic sheet is prone to cracking if I screw it in, and a bonding agent will ruin the silver. He tells me I should go to this window tinting shop and try the mirrored film tint on my existing sheet. Is this guy full of it or is he on to something? Help is much appreciated here!
Can the back side be coated? And then the coated surface bonded to the hatch????? If so maybe you can solve two problems at once!!

George

FISHIN SUCKS
02-20-2004, 09:40 PM
The guy at the glass shop says that the bond that he would recommend will probably not hold up to the heat from the engine (kind of a worthless recommendation if you ask me). That's when I brought up the screws that I have in there now to hold the sheet, that's when he mentioned cracking is probable with the acrylic. Sounds like maybe mylar is my answer. Not too sure about the polished stainless steel, but maybe. I don't have any turbo heat, just a warmed-over 454.