PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder

Budman
02-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Just wondered if there is a way to mount a depth finder on a Donzi, without drilling any holes to mount the transducer. Your usual help is greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Budman
Charlotte, NC

JimG
02-19-2004, 01:56 PM
If the bottom is solid glass, just splooge the 'ducer down and fire it through the glass. I've done it several boats, including my Trojan and my Blackfin. Won't work on cored bottoms. You might have to move it around a little to find the right spot. (So try it first, before you splooge...) And YES, the regular transom mount transducer will work just fine. Don't let 'em sell you anything different.

Budman
02-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Jim: it is a 2001 Classic 16 with the factory fiberglass. I was not sure if it would shoot thru the thick fiberglass. Would my chances be better in the bottom of the engine compartment, or closer to the front of the boat? I wonder where Donzi mounts them?
thanks for the reply,
Dan

JimG
02-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure if the newer boats are cored bottom, or not. But the only place to do it would be toward in the stern, in the engine compartment. In order for this to work, there has to be only 'glass between the transducer and the water.

MOP
02-19-2004, 02:24 PM
An easy test is to put the transducer in a plastic bag 1/2 filled with water, run the boat out into various depth water and move the bag around the general area you want to try. Even in good layup there can be small voids which will damage the signal. If you find a good spot you can epoxy (slow cure it holds much better than the quick cure stuff) it in place or use "Rule" brand clear silicone just make sure there are no bubbles between the surfaces. Either product requires good hull surface cleaning, light sanding for the epoxy.

Phil

Budman
02-19-2004, 02:31 PM
thanks for the great ideas...
Dan

RickR
02-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Like MOP said use the SLOW set and try to get as few bubbles as possible.

I use plumbers putty for a dam to keep the epoxy around the transducer.

In my 18 and 22 I mounted the transducer in the bilge, in front of the engine about 6" off the keel. They worked too app. 50MPH