PDA

View Full Version : trailer tires

mikev
02-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Why dont they balance trailer tires? I have always wondered why, since cars ride awful when the tires are out of balance. and im getting new tires soon.

olemissalum
02-19-2004, 11:43 AM
It can be done, but is really not that necessary as no one is riding in the boat anyway during trailering, at least that is what I have always been told. Mike, be sure to buy Goodyear Marathons, stay away from the Carlisle's!!!!!
Tirerack.com has hard to beat prices for the Marathon's.

smoothie
02-19-2004, 12:09 PM
It can be done, but is really not that necessary as no one is riding in the boat anyway during trailering, at least that is what I have always been told. Mike, be sure to buy Goodyear Marathons, stay away from the Carlisle's!!!!!
Tirerack.com has hard to beat prices for the Marathon's.

Oh S@#T here we go again with the Carlisle's vs the Marathon's,do a search on this,I think Carlisle's won the first round, :stan:

Trueser
02-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Why not balance, a balanced tire will ride better. A out of balance tire will bounce and have a shorter life span.

I vote for the Marathon

MOP
02-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Balancing is probably a good idea especialy for long haulers, I won't get into the tire fray on that I went from brand X non radial to X radials which alowed me to push my trailer up and down the driveway. Radials do roll a ton easier!

JimG205
02-19-2004, 03:48 PM
You'll be suprised at 55 MPH and up how much smoother a balanced wheel is-it will only help. :moped:

mphatc
02-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Don't listen to the tire jockeys . . .

Balance any tire that runs over 30 mph! They still "bounce" when not balanced, and the vibrations carry right into everything especially the springs and shackles and the linkage on a 4 wheel trailer. Everything suffers, the boat, the hitch, the wheel bearings.

MPHATC

Sam
02-19-2004, 05:30 PM
From my experience it's worth the few bucks to have it done. The only down side is they have to use stick on wheights so you need to check them often.

Sam

Walt. H.
02-19-2004, 05:46 PM
I spent a life time turning screws for a living. Take some free advice that has already been given.Balance the gosh darn tire set for all the reasons already given!!!!!!

Walt

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-19-2004, 05:59 PM
I would say correct tire pressure is more important than anything. ST rated tires are specifically built with sidewalls to hold the weight.
I have had many trailer woes as a long distance hauler.
Trailer tires are designed for trailers, car tires are for cars. Period.
Bryan

olemissalum
02-19-2004, 06:08 PM
I was not trying to start a Carlisle vs Goodyear debate, just in my experience I have had 5 blowouts with Carlisle's and none with Goodyears. All properly inflated and proper load rating, just my experience. :banghead:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Just for clarity, I am not in the brand debate.
Both may be good brands, I use neither of the above listed.
Bryan

(don't forget to check weight rating)

Donzigo
02-19-2004, 06:25 PM
...............just got a fresh bag-o-popcorn, when I read this one.

I was just thinking to myself that the things around here had gotten a bit too calm, and a controversy might do us all some good, and after a cold winter...............

(Do you ever notice how polite these things at the beginning? People are so freaking polite, myself included, then we start sandbagging our positions.............and then it's all out war.)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Donzigo, great post, I needed a smile... how true..
Nothing like a blow out at 65 in the middle of five lanes, to get you on the right rated trailer and right tires........
I vote trailer tires for trailers. My brand is...........
Bryan

Paris, now she has an interest in rubber, NOT!

mphatc
02-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Bryan & Donzigo,
I vote for a war!
:kaioken: :superman: :uzi: :uzi:

Goodyear, Carlisle, Michelin, Marathon, Sears, to balance or not . . .

doesn't someone make a 24" 35 series runflat for my Rocket trailer??

:outtahere

:wavey:

MPHATC :jestera:

mattyboy
02-19-2004, 09:19 PM
mine would be black, once made of rubber and not flat on one side.
oh and you have to run em at the right air pressure hence the not flat on one side :tongue:
of course it is different if you're towing one of those Z boats!!! ;) :0 :)

Matty :lookaroun

mikev
02-19-2004, 09:33 PM
thanks for the input guys I will get them balanced my buddy runs the tire store and he sells carlisle so I will be giving them a shot and let you know how they hold up. the best part is he is going to repack all 4 of my wheel bearings and adjust the brakes for $60.00. usually I do all my own brakes and stuff but I HATE packing wheel bearings it just sucks. and for that price I couldnt turn it down.

mattyboy
02-20-2004, 07:21 AM
whatever is left after all the rubber wears away,
I dunno polyester cord,ground glass, :rolleyes:

Matty

Walt. H.
02-20-2004, 08:05 AM
I blindfold all my tires so they don't know what type, make, or color vehical's they are placed on. :embarasse :D Trailer tires are cheaper in quality, the sidewalls don't have to be designed to handle lateral turning loads because they don't steer. :wavey: :jestera: Never put trailer tires on cars or trucks but you can do the opposite.

Too hell with Popcorn, I made a Nacho plater with all the hot stuff and goo! :sombrero: Now where's my beer Mug. :rlol:

MOP
02-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Hey Walt where is that guys other boat, I like the top mount damn I can bring the 16 and the 22 tot he ramp :shades:

Walt. H.
02-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Good question Phil!

I bet thats what the Ford Pick up truck driver was also asking. It just goes to show you what can happen when you install "trailer tires" on you pickup!
Boats will want to hitch a ride.

Ps. Are there different tires for camper trailers?

ROFLOL,

Walt

mattyboy
02-20-2004, 10:20 AM
hey isn't that boat the rare glastron carlson f -150 :eek: :tongue:
hehehehehe

matty

Walt. H.
02-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Sure is Matty, IT's the K-Mart stop light special :embarasse

Most people think that only Harley Davidson has a special addition F-150 Ford. :hyper: :spit: :rlol:

Walt, :wavey:

MOP
02-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Sure is Matty, IT's the K-Mart stop light special :embarasse

Most people think that only Harley Davidson has a special addition F-150 Ford. :hyper: :spit: :rlol:

Walt, :wavey:

I agree with #2 no sauce, ketchup or mustard :smileybo: :alligator