PDA

View Full Version : Bertram 20 Sportsman

Staffan Berg
02-19-2004, 06:37 AM
Hi
I am searching for a Bertram 20 Sportsman. If anybody of you know a boat for sale. Please email me.

Best regards
Staffan

Morgan's Cloud
02-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Nice choice Staffan,

When I went on my search for the floating Holy Grail in '85 I got a two year subscription to Boat Trader (not then online) and there were only 2 boats I wanted.. The St Tropez or the Bert 20 Sportman. In two years only one St Tropez and NO Bert 20 showed up for sale. Very very nice centre console but hard to find. If you do locate one watchout for stringer problems.. they did a poor job of sealing the fronts when they were made.. you can imagine the rest ..
Steve

MOP
02-19-2004, 09:12 AM
That is a great boat, two brothers I know bought a very poor condition one about 5 years ago and re-habbed it. It had a SB Merc setup, transom was rotted they decided to ditch the I/O replaced it with a Gil bracket and a 250 Yami. Algriped the hull black and egg shelled the top sides and decks, installed a new console with a mini hard top with rocket launchers. It looks super and runs real good. If I remember when they un-cover it I will shoot a pic.

Phil

seano
02-20-2004, 11:08 AM
That is a great boat, two brothers I know bought a very poor condition one about 5 years ago and re-habbed it. It had a SB Merc setup, transom was rotted they decided to ditch the I/O replaced it with a Gil bracket and a 250 Yami. Algriped the hull black and egg shelled the top sides and decks, installed a new console with a mini hard top with rocket launchers. It looks super and runs real good. If I remember when they un-cover it I will shoot a pic.

Phil

Phil, you're close...they bought the boat about 10 years ago and it had...of all things a BMW motor AND outdrive...the outdrive was the most hideous thing I've ever seen :) they stripped the boat and awlgripped the hullsides green and the decks white. An Armstrong bracket was added and a Merc 225 installed. They moved the tank foward a bit to help the CG an the boat rides real nice! Aside from adding a leaning post with the launchers and the bracket, the boat has all the other stock equipment. Gene Serafin did all the glass work and it came out awesome...

BTW, the one brother found another 20 Sportsman in TX that was blue and used it for a couple of years and ended up selling it when the kids started coming along.

I boat with these guys just about every weekend. The 20 is still used, but a 27 Tiara was bought with OMC Seadrives that were quickly replaced with another Armstrong bracket and a pair of 250 Mercs...

MOP
02-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Phil, you're close...they bought the boat about 10 years ago and it had...of all things a BMW motor AND outdrive...the outdrive was the most hideous thing I've ever seen :) they stripped the boat and awlgripped the hullsides green and the decks white. An Armstrong bracket was added and a Merc 225 installed. They moved the tank foward a bit to help the CG an the boat rides real nice! Aside from adding a leaning post with the launchers and the bracket, the boat has all the other stock equipment. Gene Serafin did all the glass work and it came out awesome...

BTW, the one brother found another 20 Sportsman in TX that was blue and used it for a couple of years and ended up selling it when the kids started coming along.

I boat with these guys just about every weekend. The 20 is still used, but a 27 Tiara was bought with OMC Seadrives that were quickly replaced with another Armstrong bracket and a pair of 250 Mercs...

I don't think we are talking about the same boat, Easthampton boat?

Phil

seano
02-20-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't think we are talking about the same boat, Easthampton boat?

Phil

Wow Phil...two 20 Sportmans on the East End with outboard brackets? I thought my friends would be the only ones to take a rare classic, close up the transom and throw a bracket on it...make sure you snap a pic of that boat :) :cool: This boat is at Goldsmith's in the summer...

BUIZILLA
02-20-2004, 02:09 PM
There is a navy blue/white restored 20' Bertram open boat in Key Largo with a 225 Yammi Excell and a bracket. Ultra clean boat too. :shades:
J

MOP
02-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Wow Phil...two 20 Sportmans on the East End with outboard brackets? I thought my friends would be the only ones to take a rare classic, close up the transom and throw a bracket on it...make sure you snap a pic of that boat :) :cool: This boat is at Goldsmith's in the summer...

I remember that one they kept it a Stirling Harbor years back, that is also two brothers they are related to my old boss, I sold the younger one the 36 Uniflore he has or had. Now I think we have it straight, I forgot about thier boat and yes it is another real sharp boat. Say Hi for me.

Phil

anotherScott
02-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Staffan, I saw one in our Boat Shopper book last week. It looked pretty nice and the price is less than half of what they usually ask for them around here. Go to www.boatshopperonline.com Good luck, Scott