PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater problem

avanti
07-29-2001, 07:58 AM
Just installed a Mercruiser factory freshwater cooling kit on a 2000 Classic 18 with a 350 Mag. When on the flusher more water comes out the staboard exhaust than the port. I read the prior post on this matter however what concerns me is that the port exhaust elbow and manifold are substantially hotter than the starboard and there are several engine electronic items mounted to the port manifold. Is this normal and will it resolve its self when we put her in the water? Is there something else we have to order with the kit? The engine temperature seems to be OK. Thanks Danny

RickR
07-29-2001, 08:04 AM
Try checking water flow with the boat in the water.

If there is SIGNIFICANT temperature difference you may have a water restriction.
Like corrosion or debris (sand) in the exhaust manifold.

BigGrizzly
07-29-2001, 11:52 AM
ran into this myself. I found that the water hoses to the mamifold need the Y, ir perfect T with the same length hose. If you have electrical devices protruding into the water jacket you need to restrict the water flow to the other side . Chevies all run hot on one side. Closed cooling doesn't correct this. My ford is fine, but my chevy needes a restrictor in it. There should be no more than 30 deg F" difference. My 502 is 15 deg different now. Good luck. BTW many people don't bother and it works fine!

Randy

Classic Razorback
07-29-2001, 09:31 PM
I just noticed this same problem and got scared. My 4.5 year old kiddo pulled the wires out of my cig-lighter and they touched something on my temp gauge which peged it. Im going down the lake and the warning buzzer starts going off!! I thought oh crap MY NEW MOTOR! I saw that the temp gauge off the scale. When I stuck my hand in the exhaust water on each side the starbord side was definitively hotter,but I knew it was under 200 deg cause I could put my hand in it. I worried about that all night checked everything out and went out by myself today still hotter on one side consistantly but it ran like A STRIPPED APE !!! I just came inside after flushing my engine w/water hose and was going to ask you guys what the problem was but I think you guys solved it before I even asked, thanks.
This site is great !!!!!!
Now any ideas how I can make my kid get me a new gauge?
chris